Software
Houzz Logo Print
bill_mn_z3b

Did the Sapsucker win? P. Ponderosa

3 months ago
last modified: 3 months ago

Instead of resurrecting the thread I had imbedded the sapsucker story into, I'm just making a new post here containing that information so I can continue to update. Original Thread with pictures:

5-3-2026:

It was so nice outside, I thought I'd take a last tour of the yard for the day.

I noticed the other day, out by the hemlock #1, a sapsucker out in the pine grove. NBD, I see them all the time, and Pine? They never bother those, right? And I know how to keep them off of a tree. Any little piece of tubing, a red or white flag, it doesn't take much to dissuade them. But I thought, Pine? No worries. I was more worried about my sugar maple.

As I walked by the Ponderosa pine, I noticed this:
East side:


I didn't keep all the original pictures but the one I posted tells the story.

It was almost completely girdled except for a couple 3 narrow strips leading to the top.

I could hardly believe it. and he never touched a red pine.

All I can do now it protect it from future attacks, give it some water and hope for the best.

Can't say if it will live or die but it doesn't look good imo, and could be the end of the P. ponderosa.

I put more than enough tubes on it to ensure the little sucker avoids it. Just one of those white tubes would've been enough but I thought the green tubes might hold moisture so the bark doesn't dry out before any healing begins.

Picture today 6-17-2026:


Any other ideas?

Comments (7)

  • 3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

    6-17-2026:

    So, you can see in the picture from today above, the tree did not die. 😎

    I do believe it didn't perform as much as it would've without the damage.

    It grew about the same as the red pines, or a little less. It generally out grows the red pines by another 50%.

    I left all the tubes on to date because the information I researched about sapsuckers is, it's a seasonal thing the runs during the nesting season and should end in the Fall.

    So, i didn't want to take any chances bc it was so close to getting girdled around the entire trunk and further damage was, well, unacceptable.

    Next season, if I want the tree, most likely I'll have to wrap the trunk early with burlap or bird netting. My Sugar maple has quite a wrap of bird netting on the trunk as a preventative measure now.

    The other possibility is that this sapsucker will meet his demise and never be seen again.

    We'll see how well it has healed by Fall.

  • 3 months ago

    Sapsuckers went after Pinus parviflora a couple of years ago, and enclosed with chicken wire (less noticeable).




    Last year after Pinus koraiensis was attacked, went with Tangle-Trap Sticky Coating smeared over wounds. No further damage, and not seen any this year.




    BillMN-z4a thanked Larry Dale
  • 3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

    Thanks!, Larry,

    Chicken wire is great and I use it quite a bit for things around here.

    Trouble is, I end up looking like I just tried to give a cat a bath, by hand! Edit: I'm all scratched up!

    If you have a peice that fits just right, it's fine.

    For compllicated issues like mine, plastic bird netting is easy to cut and fit and can be stretched and shaped so it closes up the openings between/around the branches.

    I ran out today but had enough here for a couple of sections for an example.

    They just plain don't like this stuff, I suppose they could get a foot tangled up.

    I can leave this on for a couple of seasons (it should'nt grow into the tree),

    until the tree has a chance to recover. I might reset it as a preventative after that.


  • 19 days ago

    9-8-2026:

    I have more time this time of year and was checking out the p. ponderosa.

    I didn't see any further damage by the SS but did notice the places I used the really fine plastic bird netting, the sap had run out from the tree and stuck to the netting, building up thickly all over it, really making a mess, so time to replace it so I know this mess won't be an attractant when the SS's return next season.


    I took Larry Dales advice and used chicken wire, where I easily could, then filled in the openings in between, where the branches interfered, with some heavy plastic 'netting' that I can't seem to find anymore locally. Another spot where the CW laid close to the trunk, I covered with plastic netting also JIC.


    A combination of the two worked well and will not give any opportunity for the SS to find an opening or entry along the trunk.


    I'll still have to check it next spring and summer but it should be SS proof until the Fall of next year.

    They seem to favor the parts of the trunk where the bark is thick and so is the cambium layers, so far they haven't went above, where needles still exist on the upper trunk and the branches haven't been bothered, they don't seem to go too close to the ground either, possibly to avoid predators?

    I just want to be done for a time and not have to be concerned about it. 😌



  • 19 days ago

    Again, never seen SS damage that severe. Birds come and go, so maybe that particular one will go.... :)

    BillMN-z4a thanked bengz6westmd
  • 18 days ago

    This way, at least, if I can stop further damage, so the tree heals some this Fall, then heals all next season, the tree should be on its way healthy growth again.


    Right now, with its limited growth this season, not helping to fill the openings where I removed the two pines on either side last season, it kinda screwed up the increase in shade I was expecting for the area this season.


    The drawback is I'll probably have to add shade somehow to my largest Hemlock there.

    The saga continues. 😉

Sponsored
Whisler Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals