Software
Houzz Logo Print
otterbon

Best fragrant purples?

2 months ago

Already planning ahead for next year—what are your favorite, at least moderately fragrant purple roses?


I have grown Ebb Tide, Twilight Zone, Angel Face and Blue Moon in the past and currently have a Blue Girl. I also got Royal Amethyst this year and am anxiously awaiting the color on it! Certified’s newest, Roseberry Beret has my attention too.


I like to cut my roses and bring them inside, so extra points for a great cut rose.



Comments (28)

  • 2 months ago

    Do you grow it vaporvac? I stayed away based, on experience of someone here - BS.

    That may not be a problem for OP, based on what OP reports having grown in past

  • 2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

    Lol! @rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ). I was replying to The strict question best fragrant purple, Although I was thinking about where the OP Lived in answering As LC is indeed a black spotter here! Also did not grow into a climber so not reliably hardy for that job. I still keep it though because If it's in good sun it blooms a lot And makes a beautiful spot of color. I have it surrounded by other things so it's Black spot is not so visible. Mine is not a particularly strong grower it came from home depot for $2.50. What can I expect?

  • 2 months ago

    My Lavender Crush is a very vigorous plant. So vigorous it’s almost scary. The scent is wonderful.

  • 2 months ago

    Thanks! BS is an issue here but I have to spray no matter what—used to it so a plant that does BS is fine!

  • 2 months ago

    I whittled my list down to my very top fave purple or lavenders. Sorry so long, but purple/lav are my favorites, particularly if ultra-fragrant, and I have a lot of roses :-D

    Since you said you used to grow Ebb Tide and TZ, I'll leave them off, assuming you didn't like them. These are all ones I'd rate a 10 and ultra-fragrant. *Honorable mention to the non-fragrant, but spectacular Love Song and Plum Perfect.*

    Barbra Streisand, Charles de Gaulle, Intrigue, Lagerfeld, Lila Vidri, Neptune, Shocking Blue, Stainless Steel, Sterling Silver, The Prince.

  • 2 months ago

    Susan - I agree on Stainless Steel. I haven't tried the other roses you mention, but can definitely concur with you on SS. I love this rose. :)

  • 2 months ago

    How about Brindabella Purple Prince? I would have one growing in my garden if Home Depot Online did not send me Brindabella Pink Princess in error. BPP has not convinced me yet of its continuing residency. Small, short lived flowers may correct as it settles in, but so far it blooms abundantly.... a plus. Fragrance, and how intense is yet to be confirmed.

    Moses.

  • 2 months ago

    I can't smell most roses that others find fragrant, but the blooms of both English Perfume and French Perfume knock my socks off. I might be sparking an international incident planting them next to each other in pots, but neither is hardy in my zone so I'm trying rosecanadian's example of bringing in pots for the winter. Both are a soft lavender-pink color and stay short for me (but not very hardy).

    The other fragrant purples that come to mind stretch the definition of "purple". The found rose Maggie also knocks my socks off in fragrance but it's a mauve tending toward magenta. Same for Mme. Isaac Periere. I defy you to find a better smelling rose - even the foliage has apple scents. It's also a dark mauve tending to magenta. Virtually all the Hybrid Perpetuals are highly scented, and they tend toward the same mauve/magenta range of color. There are loads of them but Monsieur Boncenne, Granny Grimmetts, Triomphe de l'Exposition, and Duke of Edinburgh come to mind. Ditto for highly fragrant Gallicas if you have the room for them to sprawl or a big tub to contain them.

    Moses, I rather doubt that Brindabella Purple Prince has any scent. My Brindabella Crimson Knight is scentless to me and a random family member I asked. I'll respond in your other thread about the other Brindabellas.

    Cynthia

  • 2 months ago

    If you can find it, Purple Passion is a surprisingly good bush and bloomer with a nice scent. Good cutting stems. This was a great find at my local Lowes.

  • 2 months ago

    Cynthia - lol on the international incident. :)

  • 2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

    Cynthia,

    Purple Prince is listed on HMFR as, "Strong, rose scent." I could preliminarily confirm this if what was sent this past spring was indeed B. Purple Prince instead of B. Pink Princess, which has not even been sniffed yet. With this intense heat this year, no current evaluations of any new roses here on any criteria would be dependable. Later on, perhaps.

    It seems that all the Brindabella line of roses, and there are a slew of them, report strong fragrance on HMFR. It appears that first glance, such across the board findings need further investigation. I wish they are all correct. That would be great!

    Moses.

  • 2 months ago

    My favirite Lavender without a doubt is charles De Gaulle. It blooms like crazy and fragrant . Even in the heat it is going strong while Love Song sits like a lump



  • 2 months ago

    @Kristine LeGault 8a pnw : There is nothing quite like Charles de Gaulle :-D

  • 2 months ago

    Kristine - oh, I adore your Charles de Gaulle!!! Those blooms are incredible!!! That bud captured my heart. :)

  • 2 months ago

    Perhaps consider 'Clara Thomson' as well?



  • 2 months ago

    Paul, I didn’t realize Clara Thompson got those purple tones like your picture shows. Delightful. I might need her.

  • 2 months ago

    Paul, I have to find a place for Clara Thompson, in ground or in pot. I've seen it as Angry Juno. I'm curious about the history of both those names. May I ask...?

  • 2 months ago

    Oh, come on, Paul!! That bloom is EXQUISITE!!!! SWOOOOOON!!!!

  • 2 months ago

    Out of all my purples, Lavender Crush has my favorite fragrance, but the blooms tend to fry pretty quickly in the heat. The fragrance is why I've kept her though - she wafts well and smells wonderful. Absolutely huge though. Healthy


    Minerva also smells wonderful, but is the most unhealthy rose I've ever experienced. Absolute BS magnet. Her scent and true purple color are why I've held onto her though

  • 2 months ago

    Paul, I LOVE that one!

  • 2 months ago

    My old reliables: Angel Face........Beautiful Clara Thomson, Paul. Now I must look that one up.

    Ebb Tide

    Twilight Zone, not as smelly as Ebb Tide.


  • 2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

    Here is Clara Thomson today after 100 F for 5 days.




    I have had the purple tones Paul, too. I think it is too hot.

  • 2 months ago

    @Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR Yes, it's been almost as hot here, and it doesn't do the darker purple hues here either when its this warm.

  • 2 months ago

    @Sheila - I hope my Clara Thomson gets as beautiful as yours 😍

  • 2 months ago

    Thank you, Paul, for your detailed reply. I thought Angry Juno was such a striking name, there had to be a story behind it. Long live cats! (and dogs).

    Sheila, I take heart at seeing how well Clara Thomson did for you during your heat wave. It could maybe work here.

  • 2 months ago

    Diane - your Ebb Tide is unreal with that striking coloring!! Utterly sublime!!!


    Sheila - those are some tough blooms to last in your heat. They're gorgeous!!