Software
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Mosquitoes..........

yesterday

Out in annoying

numbers lately.

Comments (15)

  • yesterday

    We've been lucky here, at least around our home there aren't many if any on any particular day. I'm easy pickings and good bait when I lay down in my hammock but it's been rare to see a mosquito this summer. I set out a container of water on purpose to trap any that may be around to lay eggs and check it daily. Dump and refill if any wigglers are present.

  • yesterday

    I put up a bat house 3 years ago in the hopes of attracting some bats to eat the abundant mosquitoes here, but none have moved in :( My best move was adding a screen room to my back porch, big enough for some Muskoka chairs and my hammock.

  • yesterday

    We bought the Inzecto mosquito trap. It does seem to help. We are on a city lot, not an apartment building.

  • 23 hours ago

    I drained my fountain which helped, plus I had swallows nesting in my eaves throughout the late spring/early summer.

  • 23 hours ago



  • 22 hours ago

    We have had a lot, and not just in my yard with two ponds and eight birdbaths. They trapped a West Nile mosquito a block from my house and have trapped many others in the surrounding area. They have been doing a lot of nighttime spraying. I've only had two mosquito bites so far.

  • 21 hours ago
    last modified: 17 hours ago

    I'm glad that mosquitoes aren't much of a problem where I live. Whether it's because there are fewer here naturally or that the populations are kept in check because of community governmental control programs, I don't know .

  • 21 hours ago

    mosquitoes...the state bird of illinois. i live on sand so we don't have puddles but we do have high humidity and it's worse around here because we're surrounded by many hundreds of acres of corn fields. i have a few outdoor decorative lighting features and at dusk, i often see bats swooping around so they help with keeping the bugs in check.

    i have really a really severe reaction to bug bites, i will itch for 2 weeks from just one bite. i have a can of repellant on my deck and use it pretty much every time i walk out the door.

  • 20 hours ago

    They're giving people Dengue fever here - 170+ cases so far, and 2 neighboring counties are spraying. Ours hasn't done that yet, but they introduced mosquito fish in one area. It's been raining a lot too, which adds to the problem.

    Saw this recently - my BIL has the same problem...



  • 20 hours ago

    We had the most mosquito free summer we have ever had. It was fabulous. The experts had us braced for an onslaught after the few years of dought. Didn't happen and it was JOYOUS!!

  • 19 hours ago
    last modified: 19 hours ago

    Keep all standing water removed, even a bottle cap full. Damp soil also is attractive to mosquitoes. That biological, safe agent in ”mosquito bits” can help. It kills the larvae. I made little cloth ”tea bag” like things to rest in some of our gutters.

    I ’ve read that mosquitoes tend to be local — they’re not likely to catch a Uber to get to your yard. Be nice to dragonflies.



  • 18 hours ago
    last modified: 18 hours ago

    One December we went cross country skiing/hiking on our wooded mountain. Temperature was probably only 36 to 38 deg F. I saw mosquitoes! There will be a lot in the Northeast soon because of the huge coastal storm and 3 days of rain.

  • 18 hours ago

    We used to be plagued by mosquitoes every summer as we are not too far from a river which , like many Australian rivers, is very sluggish in summer. We also regularly had giant spiders and giant flying cockroaches.

    Then a business started coming to town which sprays around the cornices and baseboards in each room and also on the verandahs outside. They come around every year around September/October. We've had it done for years now, and I can't recall when I last saw one of those pests in our house, and we get very few flies coming inside either.

    The sad thing is the business owner and his wife want to sell the business and retire, but no one wants to take it on. It must be reasonably lucrative - the cost to us isn't super high but they move from town to town and do a bunch of houses in each town as they go, with several houses per day. I guess younger people these days want a perfect 9-5 job with no travel.

  • 17 hours ago
    last modified: 33 minutes ago

    We are very fortunate here in the Shenandoah valley. Our property is always free of mosquitoes . We have neighbors who complain but since we bought in Dec 2017 I have had no bites and I have been a Mossie Magnet my entire 75 yrs til 2017. When others visit they are surprised as well. We built a screen room immediately after buying just because we were so used to being bitten. Maybe we scared them away lol. c

  • 3 hours ago

    I'm a mosquito magnet. I've heard it has something to do with having type O blood. My husband is type A and never gets bit, so maybe it's true.