Software
Houzz Logo Print
brenda7b

Should it stay or go?

12 years ago
Based on suggestions the sofa was moved to here. I have a few questions.
1. Is the wall too small for a media wall, bringing heaviness to the room when I add the upper cabinets?
2. Is using one of the media cabinets for a window bench the best choice or would it serve better on the wall with the others?
3. What size rug should be used?
4. Should the drum shade light stay and where should it hang?

Comments (198)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    That works.
    brenda7b thanked LB Interiors
  • 12 years ago
    [houzz=
    Great Room Re-Styled 2008 · More Info
    ]
  • 12 years ago
    Would like to see this when I get home.
  • 12 years ago
    This looks really nice. Might be a good option for my single chair. Thank you hgtvobsessed. I saw it on your ideabook. Hope you don't mind.
    [houzz=
    Contemporary Living Room · More Info
    ]
  • 12 years ago
    I would say no to any more shelves, etc. hanging on the walls. Just go with the large artwork.
  • 12 years ago
    Ok. No shelves. Although I have some floating shelves not being used, I won't. heehee. What and how can be my one "wow" thing or focal point like I see in all the professionally designed homes? Also, I have a guilty admission to share. I don't and haven't displayed any photos of my children (now almost grown) or family. Don't know where to. Suggestions?
  • 12 years ago
    Brenda--I don't either, so don't think you're alone on that. I can't emphasize how much a large artwork would add to the WOW factor... Go to art.com and click on artist|rising for some fresh art that isn't cliche.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would just have a large artwork. With color. I think you need some warm color to add to your cooler tones of the pillows. Pillow colors plus a bit of red or yellow or orange palette. Light and darks of those colors.
  • 12 years ago
    I like it. Good job.
  • 12 years ago
    Family pic belongs in a bedroom or a hallway. No one wants to see them, but your family.
  • 12 years ago
    I have this painting by Maxine Price, and it would look great on your wall:
    http://www.gallerydirect.com/art/product/maxine-price/dancing-on-the-water
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I like Nancy's art. Great colors to work with your pillows. Maybe a yellow and orange pillow too. I just checked the size 24 x 24. I think it's too small : (
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    It can be ordered in 40 x 40. Gallery-wrapped or framed. I ordered the floating frame and it's beautiful! Looks like an original, since it is giclee print on canvas. For the price (about $250), it sure makes a statement!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Great Nancy! I really like it. Good choice!
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks guys. What rug should I use? Will 8' round rug still work now that the furniture is squared off? I brought home a 8' demo rug to test it out for fit and it did look nice however I struggled to center everything on and around the rug. Otherwise the round table off-center on a round rug would keep me awake at night :) Also, I saw my Ekornes wedge table today at a store. Look how they are using it. I've never like my wedge table after buying it because it forces the Stressless chairs to point in and it's too big for my home. Since it was $350 (can't believe I bought it) I have to use it somewhere. Maybe at the right arm of sofa with a plant to hide that its a wedge? One more question: I want to paint the TV wall dark like A-List Interiors suggested. Better for TV watching. So dark gray for TV wall and lighter gray for other walls? Or dark panels just between the upper and lower cabinets, not the whole wall? Ikea sells them as an option for the Besta cabinets. We already put low light LED's behind TV. Has made TV watching easier on the eyes.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    i'm not sure if I would like two colors on the walls. The cabinets will protrude on the dining wall color while they are mounted on the darker color wall. ? Hmmmm
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    All pics of kids and grandkids are in our bedroom. No personal pics in the "public" areas. So don't feel guilty.

    You're getting there, you're getting great advice, so don't quit now!!

    You know you could have that first inspiration picture (Great Room Restyled) in your L.R. if you would give up on that third chair?
  • 12 years ago
    I already have a console table and mirror at entry way, directly across from the TV. I couldn't have another console table like (Great Room ReStyled) in the same room, could I? How about redressing my console at the entry way? Or in dining area where tall brown hutch was?
  • 12 years ago
    Here's the table I have to put to use somewhere. I have a black one.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    It might fit where you were thinking under the hanging lamp next to the sofa. I wouldn't try to camouflage it. It might be just fine. Maybe reverse it so the widest part is on the front side of the sofa.
    Place so that one side is flush with the sofa.
  • 12 years ago
    More seating is a must. Here's why. All holidays, events, cookouts, etc are at my house. Friends and team mates of my sons are here weekly too. For all of our gatherings most of us sit at the dining table before the meal, during the meal, during clean up and for social time. Four seats in the living room isn't enough for our guests. It's also so unpleasant for the kitchen as the backdrop of a nice get-together. Would be nice for ALL to enjoy the living room together.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Maybe two small ottomans in front of the TV to be pulled away when needed. Your guests can't have all the comforts of home in your small room. Arggh. : )
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Maybe some large floor pillows for the young 'uns.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Maybe use the stressless footrests for seats for a large gathering.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Upholstered round ottoman instead of coffee table? It's worked so well at our house, I now have two that I can drag around. We often have 14 or 15 big people and little people in our 16x20 living room....

    And your sofa table arrangement that you're loving could go either of those two places. Go for it!! AFTER you get your living room arrangement done!
  • 12 years ago
    Okay, so you need the most seating….Why not place the colorful print chair where you had the red/burgandy club chair once next to the sectional under the hanging drum light. Place the bench with the Zebra print under the blank wall next to the stressless chairs ( just recover the Zebra with a fabric that's more cohesive with the rest of the room, unless you're going with a black and white vibe then change out the colorful ikea patterned fabric to a solid color.) Put a nice big piece art on that empty wall and a nice big rug under it all, or at least one under the coffee table and sectional.
  • 12 years ago
    Thx. I will try that tonight. Not the bench though. It's now on the wall with the other cabinets. I have a smaller slatted wood bench that I can try. It's unfinished. Could paint and get a cushion.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Good you have a bench. I also thought a bench on the dining wall might work.
  • 12 years ago
    Even with paint, cushions and pillows it may still look like a bathroom bench. Thoughts? About the rug:
    I'll need a 10x12 rug to fit all furniture under it. If using a smaller rug for maybe just sofa, about what size?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    If you really need the extra seating, I think the bench can work with cushions and black paint. Floor pillows and small ottomans are other options.
  • 12 years ago
    I wish you guys made house calls. Even with the latest arrangement, two chairs facing TV without wedge table, it still doesn't seem right. I'm sure the entire home needs a makeover. It's not being used to the fullest. Should I make a new thread including living room, dining room and rec room since they are all connected and open to each other? Maybe you guys can see other places to put one of the recliners or sofa in exchange for something more suitable for the living room. I have to buy a new dining table this weekend (pub height table not compatible with elders) and I'm afraid to pick one without knowing what will be on the end of the dining room wall. As you see here the LR, DR and rec room are all open.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    A plant stand between the stressless chairs.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    If you have two matching chairs without the reclining feature and without the footrests, then maybe you can switch them out. The stressless chairs require a lot more room. They should not be too large. It's a very narrow room : )
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    A round table that opens to an oval for seating 6. Easier to get between the rooms. Can close to a round table for 4 when not in use. That is, if your dining dimensions work this way.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Yes, a new dilemma posting is less confusing : )
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    WOW...went on vacation for a couple weeks, then immediately came down with pneumonia...look at all the work that's been done!!! Great job!!!
  • 12 years ago
    Welcome back! Thanks, but Brenda is at a stand still because she isn't pleased with any of the chairs she insists is needed. I am ready to get the rug and additional Ikea window panels if you'd like chime in on color and style (remember serene). I've even been entertaining the idea of changing the wall color.
  • 12 years ago
    brenda7b, I was wrong about the birch chair. Now that I see it in a whole room setting, rather than by itself, the light wood works very well with the stressless chairs.

    Maybe rethinking where the sectional is, as the stressless chairs worked well in front of the windows? Am I remembering that correctly?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I hesitate to chime in cause you've been getting some great advice & I' don't want to confuse you any more!!! I think that until the entire room is finished, you won't be happy. As you have experienced, there are many ways to arrange a room. It's the details that make the difference...& when that all comes together is when you'll be satisfied. If you want to change the wall color, I'd do one of 2 things...paint the green in the new accent chair or just paint the TV wall 2 shades deeper than your current color, just to give the room some depth. But...that depends on your window treatments & rug.
  • 12 years ago
    No, the Stressless chairs look nice at window but the footstools stick out so far they nearly touch the sofa arm.
  • 12 years ago
    Looks to crowded with that sofa and also the white chair I think in by the wall
  • 12 years ago
    I am definetly considering changing the sofa and maybe repurposing one of the Stressless chairs. Or adding on to the partition wall. I looked back at all the pics in my dilemma and none of them worked for me.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I would 'not' add onto the dining wall. Keep your open spaces. I think you will be sorry if you do. Life, friends and family needs are always changing. That would be an expense that may not be worth it. Please do not decorate around larger gatherings that might be random or sometimes seldom. I don't think you will ever like the room for yourself. One stressless chair and unmatched chairs will not do it.

    Whatever you do in this room,
    you will need a sofa and 2 - 4 'matching chairs'. A little of this and a little of that will not pull the room together.
    A sofa, 2 matching chairs and a two-seater bench may work, with 2 small ottomans in front of the TV. Your cabinets have made this very difficult for you. It seems like way too much storage for this small room.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks LB. It must seem crazy why so many cabinets are in one room. The reason is that's the storage for a whole family. We're in Florida and don't have a basement. Can't store in the attic due to extreme heat. Garage is out too because of dampness. Looking at the fourth photo at the top of this page, before ALL the cabinets were added, there still wasn't room for additional chairs. I think the chaise is the trouble maker. If you would, describe where and what furniture you would put in this room. I'd appreciate it. That will give me a vision of what to work towards. Thank you.
  • 12 years ago
    Question: Two matching chairs to go in front of the partition wall facing the window? A pair of print chair like the one I have? Or smaller matching chairs?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would go with the floating shelves
    brenda7b thanked deiman
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would not use shelves that bring the room in on you and take up depth for the room.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    If I were redesigning this room, from scratch ...
    Your room is narrow and I preferred the TV and as many cabinets as possible on the dining room wall. Sofa at the windows (one without a chaise). That is where you use the depth of the items in the room. The dining wall and the window wall. By moving all the cabinets to the long wall, you already took the depth from the narrow sides of the room. That is what is making it difficult.

    Trying to use the rest of the cabinets with smaller scaled furniture instead of the lounge chairs with the footrests. Maybe a couple of the cabinets could be used for end tables and used for your needed storage. Maybe one of the cabinets can be used for a coffee table instead of the round table. A sofa without the lounge may work best.

    The stressless chairs require room to stretch out and the footrests. They use a lot of depth space. I would remove the footrests and place them in front of the TV to act as extra seating when needed (like ottomans) or move the footrests out of the room.

    Then you can use 4 small scaled chairs more successfully for your needs. Two pair of chairs. 4 matching chairs or one pair matching and another pair that match. They can be two different colors and fabric styles. Or one pair of chairs and an upholstered bench with an open back.

    At this point I'm finding it difficult to make a cohesive room that visually you will like that will seemed designed. Of course, if funds do not allow these changes, you can use what you have just to provide the needed seating, but it might look a little thrown together.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Instead of a media cabinet, have you thought about open shelves? And definitely a bigger rug!
  • 12 years ago
    Yes to floating shelves for aesthetics but not storage. I have the cabinets for storage purposes so I'm trying real hard to make it look nice. I don't have a rug yet. I'm seeing mixed opinions on rug size.