Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thomp361

Design & Build Fees

thomp361
10 years ago
Building a high end custom home, found a design / build firm that we really like.

They have quoted me 8% for their services (design, drawings, construction). Does that seem appropriate? I was thinking it would be more like 10% so I am pretty happy.

Comments (2)

• S. Thomas Kutch
    10 years ago
    Heck, even 10% is low for design / construction documents and construction........my fees for just design and a full set of construction documents runs anywhere from 8-15% depending on the complexity of the project and the site. Construction administration services would be on top of that 8-10%.......I can't see a contractor doing construction for 8%.

I would definitely get the details (very detailed) as to what that 8% buys you included in the contract.
  • PRO
    Dwayne Seal Custom Designs
    10 years ago
    Quite a few potential clients are surprised at how much time it takes to go through a project. Then of course it equals money.
    I have to inform them that the plans and planning process is as important as the purchase of a furnace or trusses etc.
    Thomas, it would be interesting to add a brief as to your position and location. Thanks.