Software
Houzz Logo Print
pcgardiner

Please help!

12 years ago
After much budgeting and sacrifice, we were finally able to reshingle our barn with white cedar, and we wanted a nice "New England" look but still wanted protection on our investment...after MUCH searching and driving up peoples driveways and asking them what they used, etc....we decided on SW "covered bridge" and we HATE it! It looked so nice on other homes, but our barn looks like a giant "pumpkin"! I cry EVERYTIME I look at it and my husband wants to kill me! Is there ANY
product, method or anyway we can "erase" this eyesore without solid paint over it? Even something to tone it down...I'm sick over this! We
don't have the $$ now for another renovation and my husband says now we're stuck with this till it fades!!! (IF it even fades) What can we do? (...inexpensively)

Comments (18)

  • 12 years ago
    May we see it? We're a very visual group, you know. Don't be embarrassed - Houzzers can help! Just comment here on this thread and use the Attach Images button to add pix.
    Patti thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 12 years ago
    I'm working on it now
  • 12 years ago
    sorry pictures took awhile… here's the Great Pumpkin!
  • 12 years ago
    Actually, I think it looks nice :) What look were you trying to achieve?
  • 12 years ago
    Agreed, it looks quite nice. I suggest you live with it for a while before making any changes.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I love how it pops with the green and the white trim with the dark roof on it is soooo striking. Embrace it. Remember what it was that made you love it to start with.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Have you considered a spot of landscaping? That might be all you need to finish the look. I know its not typical to formally or even informally landscape a barn, but with a regular winding walkway to the pedestrian door and a landscape bed with something tall and green against the wall (between the two pedestrian doors), it might just 'finish' the look for you. Xeriscape or low maintenance plantings.

    Found one:
    Yankee Barn Homes Carriage Houses · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    How old were the barns you viewed before selecting this? Usually cedar ages and grows a patina. You may have to wait - something no one wants to do these days - to get the finished look you saw on older barns; whether faded lighter or aged darker.
  • 12 years ago
    What a beautiful barn. I would add white climbing roses.
  • 12 years ago
    When I went outside to take these pictures, some neighbors walked by and commented half jokingly (not realizing I was so upset with it myself) saying " what were you thinking?" and " what made you paint it orange? It was looking so good before you did that?" I'm beside myself!
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    So what you had before is that lighter shade, shown in the picture with the ladder? I am soooo surprised that neighbors would be so negative out loud......especially since they saw you with a camera. How did they not know you were taking a pic of your pride and joy??!!
  • 12 years ago
    Silly neighbors with no taste!! People commonly do not react well to change. If the pictures are true to life, be confident that your barn is beautiful :)
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Good comment in not reacting well to change....guessing they were, um, elderly??? Color is not high on their list, either.
  • 12 years ago
    I wonder if it would seem less "orange" if you changed the white trim to something darker? Maybe something that matches the roof. White climbing roses would help though if you want to keep the white trim.
  • 12 years ago
    It's beautiful! I think if you added some lantern lights it would finish your barn off nicely. I have the same color shaker on our home and its actually darkening after being stained. Perhaps yours will too.
  • 12 years ago
    Good morning my fellow Houzzers! ☀. I've been reading your lovely comments and I so appreciate your kind words...climbing white roses was part of our original plan (at least I got that part right!) as well as a winding stone walkway...I did take your advice and went back to SW with ALL of my "sample" stain shingles and pictures of my "orange barn"...but
    alas, there is nothing we can do to change, lighten or "erase" it except to solid stain the whole barn....sigh....but there are sooooo many more important issues going on in this world that to cry over a barn color leaves me embarrassed...I'll just have to get used to
    people saying.... "make a left at the corner...you know, the house with the big orange barn",
    ....grunt....maybe all we need is a good New England winter to take it down a shade or two...(first time I ever wished for that!). Just wanted to "thank you" all for your help and ideas...(keep them coming, actually)...and be forewarned.....STAIN is a tricky thing...think twice (if not three times..) before applying.....or you'll be counting the years for when the color warranty runs out!!!!
  • 12 years ago
    You can tell the nosy neighbors that you wanted a strong color to contrast with your white roses.