kangkath

Can I put pebble tile on shower floor?

kangkath
We are remodeling a bathroom - with walk in shower. We found a great looking tile - river rock pebbles - that we wanted to put on the shower floor. But our contractor says it is not recommended to put that on the shower floor. He says the floor tiles should be at least 1-1/2 inches.
Does anyone know about this? Is my contractor correct?

Design Connection, Inc.
    The smaller pebbles are more comfortable. I have used it for a client and she loved it.
    kangkath thanked Design Connection, Inc.
  • armygirl1987
    dclostboy- did you use their grout and what did you seal it with. The guy who did mine did an half a... job because he had never done anything like that before. I am not happy with results so might have it redone.

Pebble tiles for shower floor

I don't understand. Maybe I am misunderstanding pebble tiles? I have installed river rock tiles in a number of showers and had no problems with them. I just inspected mine today (after 6 years and they were done in grout not even epoxy) and they are clean, and like new. I like them quite round so that when I walk on them I feel the roundness of them against my feet. The cons are at installation - if you grout too much - you can drown the rocks but they are a flatter surface; you have to grout up to two thirds of the rock but then you get the reflexology treatment! So clearly this is a divided subject...

Do you install shower wall tile or pebble floor "tiles" first.

Do the walls first. I like to use a starter strip that is level and just short of one 3x6 tile. That way you can take a small amount off the bottom of the bottom row so you will not have a small sliver on the very bottom. The next day put down the floor and following day grout the floor and wall, You are still missing the bottom row of wall tile start cutting the tile after a few hours but do not stand on the tiles just reach in and get the measurement backbutter the bottom tile and let dry. grout the bottom tiles.

Need help on my pebbles shower floor and the wall tile

This is a duplicate post and there were other issues that were mentioned in the other one

Pebble Tile on Bathroom Floors & Shower Stall

My bathroom was renovated about 1.5 years ago. I have pebble tiles on the floor & shower stall floor, which I really love. I have a cleaning lady who does a good job, & I have also scrubbed the floor myself , which is a job I don't particularly like. I had the grout sealed, but it still collects a lot of crud & turns "white" in some areas. (maybe from the hard water in San Diego). I'd like to get a shiny sealer. Any help in how to prepare the floor & what product to use? Thanks everyone.
    I have used pebbles in many shower designs. Tips:1. Decide if you like a foot massage, then you dont want too much grout to level with the river rock; if you don't like a foot massage, the pebbles risk being drowned in grout.2. Epoxy grout is a nuisance over river rock as, as it is wiped down, it tends to dull the pebbles unless you are meticulous about cleaning them3. Drainage slopes are usually easier for river rock if you have a central drain (and particularly if you have minimal grout around the river rock), it is a little trickier for a sloping drain as the tiler has to grout between the river rock to ensure there is a flow of water to reach the drain - further the distance, more likely to puddle.
    Indoor pool · More Info
    kangkath thanked ASVInteriors
  • yoboseiyo
    some companies make pebbles that are flat topped.
    we sell those at my work.
    they're great to stand on.
    kangkath thanked yoboseiyo
    ErthCOVERINGS
    As a worldwide stone distributor, we have installed pebbles in numerous shower floors and walls with no issues and great customer satisfaction!
    kangkath thanked ErthCOVERINGS
  • dclostboy
    @armygirl, I used their grout...cost a ton, but turned out really nicely and no problem a year later. Mine has some visible seams...but that was installer inexperience with the product. It's in guest bath at beach house, so I don't have to live with daily :)
    kangkath thanked dclostboy
  • armygirl1987
    @dclostboy-I bought their grout also, it started because I think it was the thinset that he used and then I had him removed it but I don't think that he removed the whole thing. Now it looks grrrrrrr.
    Pebble Tile Shop
    You may try a sliced pebble tile if you are put off by the round pebble feel on your feet but still want that pebble look. We would love to help you get a few samples to walk on to compare.
    12"x12" Sliced Java Tan Pebble Tile · More Info
  • isamuel71
    I used the shaved pebbles and love it. At first I was concerned with all the grout and potential mold. I used a good sealer 511 brand.
  • isamuel71
    Can't attach photo
  • kangkath
    Thank you all for the encouragement! We went ahead - shaved pebbles, "spring mix" color. We are very happy with how the whole bathroom turned out!
    DirectBuy of Fort Worth
    Awesome bath
  • isamuel71
    Shaved pebble floor - love it
  • rddllarsen

love our shaved pebble floor. No problem w/grout but stones seem to have a film unless they are wet. Have tried everything to correct issue. Any suggestions?

• twodurangokids

We put pebble tile on both of our shower floors in 2007. One is great. With the other one, the pebble surfaces are sloughing off. I have sealed them with traditional tile sealer about 8 times and we still have this problem. Anyone with a similar problem and a suggestion as to how to fix it?

• isamuel71
    2durango what do you mean sloughing off
  • twodurangokids

Layers of the stone are just lifting off. It's especially severe around the drain. It almost seems like the pebbles weren't solid rocks. I thought extra sealing would stop it, but it hasn't. I wonder if an epoxy-type sealant would stop it?

• twodurangokids

Sorry that it's hard to see, but in the second picture you can see a large flake lying on the grout in just about the middle. I can only think that it had to do with the quality the pebbles, but the store that sold them to us has gone out of business.

• oracca

Great job! We did two showers with pebbles too.

ErthCOVERINGS

@twodurangokids this is a very odd thing to happen to a natural stone pebble... unless you have saltwater (still unlikely to happen) or there was a polish or finish on the stone that is not suitable for water? You should try a penetrating natural stone sealer as opposed to a tile sealer... that could help.. but since it is the actual stone itself that is crumbling and shalling away it might still need to be replaced.

• Sayra L.
    Regrettable!! A year later, the entire natural stone STINKS. The tiles do irritate my feet at times. I don't know what the tile man used for grout. It does appear sandy, and it is sealed. The pebbles are starting to stink like a urinal! My cleaning lady hates my shower....and honestly I am starting to as well. Slate tiles, and natural pebbles were a terrible design choice. They loom amazing, yet fail to function in the long run. I have had to use bi-monthly applications of Soft Scub cleanser, with bleach
  • Sayra L.
    p.s. I have to leave my shower door open, between uses. I will never use natural stone in a wet surface again!
  • ninigret

i object to how so many folk's showers look...that the individual squares still show as squares. bah, i'll leave the pebbles at the beach.

• isamuel71
    I have had no trouble with it and 3 years later still going strong. Still clean and rarely needs any cleaning. I do leave the door open until it gets dried and seal it once a year.
    Ellsworth Design Build
    Slo what waterproofing system was used? Smells like you have water trapped under the tile. I've had pebble floors on my last two showers with no issues (ten years of pebble master baths spread over two houses)
  • creatureofchaos
    My basement bath has a glass pebble floor and I find it weird looking and uncomfortable.
  • kathleen MK
    my yucky old tile needs a bleach cleaner more often than bi monthly but if yours is stinky there may be mold underneath the stone from a leak.
  • Samantha Poole

SarahBurbach do you remember where you bought that tile floor? I'm looking for colors just like that. And how are they holding up?

• sarahburbach
    Samantha Poole I purchased it either at lowes or Home Depot (don't remember which one) it's held up well! I love the rocks. If I was to redo it I would use the grout they now came out with that has I think epoxy? In it where it won't stain or crack as the grout has cracked some.
  • general68

We love it!!! We have slightly rounded pebbles. They feel great under the feet. My sister has flatter ones in her shower. I don't find them as comfortable.

We will be redoing another shower soon and will definitely put pebbles on that floor.

• Patrick Ruster

Anyone have success/tips/suggestions for repairing these floors? The grout has worn away in several places.

• asphaltangel27

can any one tell me if non shrink precision grout (quickcrete) can be used on stone in the shower?

• Sayra L.
    Never use natural stone, marble, or anything in a wet area. Trust me! Nightmare to clean.
  • Lisa Dalton
    I used shaved pebble tile in my new construction! We are not done yet but I love it!!
  • Cosmos

What cleaner do you use on the pebbles? Is Method stone and tile cleaner ok?

• sarahburbach
    I used Clorox cleaner + bleach but had white grout so I liked using bleach... I never noticed any damage but don't take my word for it! :)
  • Cosmos

Thank you!

• Rondia Moss

Bathroom shower tile

• Rebekah
    We are doing a pebble floor and we can see the seams between the squares of pebbles. Is there a way to install these without seeing the lines between the squares? I can tell with some of the pictures people posted that some show the seams and others don’t.
    Ellsworth Design Build
    Yes the skill of the tile setter. Individual tiles get pulled up and hand set to conceal the joints. Real tile setters do this, the five buck a square foot guy doesn't. Nor does he waterproof properly but that wasn't your question.
  • millworkman

What ^^^^^^^^ he said..............

Dragonfly Design+Build

@twodurangokids @Sayra L. We have the same problem - a Solistone river rock bathroom floor that is slowly breaking apart. The rocks are not fully "formed" - the ones that crack and split look like they're still clayey in the middle (not soft, but hard caliche-like). Solistone went totally mute on what's happening - a lousy, cheap company IMHO. It seems clear the problem is poor stone, not the grout or sealer. I think it is a chemical reaction of some kind with the rock causing it, and maybe with our hard water. A soft white crystalline fuzz, maybe some kind of salt formation, forms (more like grows, hair-like) on some of the stones after sitting wet for awhile, and it's those stones that break apart over time. It also produces a urine-like smell when it's happening. Not all pebble rocks do this - we have used other pebble rock floors in showers without a problem. Those were hard, solid black basalt-like stones. Unfortunately we used it for the entire bathroom floor and are going eventually have to replace the entire floor.

Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.

Yes Dragonfly (nice name), that is a cheap, soft stone that disintegrates over time. Bummer.

• mal26
    last year

Hello...Pro...We are remodeling our bathroom and we are thinking of going with a Haisa Dark Marble by Solistone... my concern is they are flat smooth stones will it be slippery? And I think my second concern is I don't think I can dye my hair due to it could stain the floor flat stones.

• Tova Ann
    last year

We are having the same conondrim. I love this look but have heard a lot of bad things about keeping it clean

J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
    last year

This application has been on several occasions without any issues. There is a variety on the market in all shapes sizes and colors.

J Design Group - Miami Interior Designers
    225 Malaga Ave
    Coral Gables, FL 33134
    Ph: 305-444-4611
    https://www.JDesignGroup.com

BuyHomeTile.com
    last year

Off course you can. Your installer is only thinking on his own benefit and he/she is giving you an argument that is not 100% true. Pebbles or River Rocks are an ideal solution for shower floors. On one hand they will create a specific design concept to your shower allowing you to play with colors, textures and materials in order to design your ideal shower. On the other hand, the mesh mounted system will allow your installer to play with the slope of the shower to the drain avoiding the possibility to have puddles. At the same time, the space in between pebbles will be fill with grout, and this grout will give you extra anti-slip protection on your shower floor.

You should visit our website https://buyhometile.com/collections/pebble-tile we have a large selection of different pebbles and river rocks, only one click away. Free Samples and Free Delivery are just some of our best competitive advantages.

Be free to contact us directly if you have more questions: info@buyhometile.com or call 305.498.3631

Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    last year
    last modified: last year

"Only one click away". Hmmm. Buyhometile, please identify yourself. Where is your product manufactured and where is your registered business? Thank you.

• Sharon Sybrandt
    last year

Dragonfly - If you click on their link, you will see they are located in FL.