Software
Houzz Logo Print
bichonluver3

Lopsided fireplace!

12 years ago
In my son's living room, he has a fireplace with a built-in on one side only. Any suggestions for the other side to make it more balanced without duplicating the already existing built-in?

Comments (37)

  • 12 years ago
    Can you post a pic? Have you looked in the ideabooks on houzz yet?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Yes, a pic would be most helpful.
  • 12 years ago
    OOPS!! My bad! I forgot to attach photo!!
  • 12 years ago
    Artwork in frames could mimic the horizontal lines of the shelving unit without building actual shelving unit. Or just ready made shelves on that side would work too without much expense.
    bichonluver3 thanked handymam
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I like pic. idea. Since that area is popped out, pictures would keep the balance of the walls. It appears that the hearth continues to the wall, you may want to think about maybe a log holder in this area to visually balance the cabinet on the other side.
    bichonluver3 thanked Your Mantel Company Inc.
  • 12 years ago
    I had considered the shelves and the logs but didn't trust my judgement.. Thanks for confirming. Should I paint the buit-in the same color as walls or trim? To fit with the midcentury modern style of the house, should we paint the bricks?
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    If the house is truly MCM and it wasn't painted then, I don't see the point of doing it now if you are going to keep MCM. If you are just looking to change, that's up to you. You will find many threads both for and against painting. Just do a houzz ideabook search.

    I don't mind the white cabinet/shelving unit being white if that is what you like. But I would paint the wall on the left the same as the rest of the room. The white makes it look like you ran out of paint. You can always put white shelves up if you go that route.

    I like the log idea that Your Mantel Co suggested. Still like the art versus more shelves though.
    bichonluver3 thanked handymam
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks, handyman! The white cabinet just gives me a Cottage - y feel. The house just needs a general uplift. BTW, the couple became engaged on Friday.Hmm...........I wonder if it will be a Navy wedding.....
  • 12 years ago
    Paint cabinets, brick that is on and around fireplace, and wall all same color. Then add a mantle from a really pretty reclaimed old beam.
    bichonluver3 thanked pandm
  • 12 years ago
    bichonluver, congrats on the engagement! A Navy wedding will be special!

    Well paint the cabinets whatever, but paint that wall to match the rest of the room. :)
    bichonluver3 thanked handymam
  • 12 years ago
    I agree about painting that wall the same color as the rest of the room. I'd add a large piece of artwork there. And kudos to your son for not making the mistake of putting the big TV over the mantel. :)
    bichonluver3 thanked dbh
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks everyone! Suggestions are great. Fred S., His fiancee and I are working quickly to bring the house up to speed before my son comes out of his trance! lol
  • 12 years ago
    That trance generally wears off right after the utterance of the words "I have a headache" ;D
  • 12 years ago
    Ha ha! Have you been talking to my husband? I now own stock in Tylenol! lol
  • 12 years ago
    No. It is just a medical fact. It is both a symptom and side effect of marriage ;D
  • 12 years ago
    bichonluver, you are having way too much fun! You also sound like the kind of mom every man loves and every daughter-in-law hopes for! Congrats!
    bichonluver3 thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    @happy, they keep trying to trap me here.
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/random-houzz-trends-on-national-level-dsvw-vd~756366
    I cannot be contained! :D
    bichonluver3 thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    :)
  • 12 years ago
    That is probably where the cat pole is going to have to go :D
  • 12 years ago
    Ha Ha!! I do foster dogs pulled from high kill shelters....
  • 12 years ago
    Two wooden ladders next to each other. One going up and the other to come down.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    do they come with instructions?
  • 12 years ago
    Women or cats?
  • 12 years ago
    Fred, if you really wanted out, you could borrow one of chook's ladders and make a break for it! :D
    bichonluver3 thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    ROFL !
  • 12 years ago
    My ladder comes with instructions.
  • 12 years ago
    This the tiny dining room where I was thinking of hanging the large mirror from the bedroom
  • 12 years ago
    Furniture is actually dark brown!
  • 12 years ago
    Is that a conversation height dining set?
  • 12 years ago
    Yes. I would like to beef up the finish (it has traveled with him all over with him and is kind of tired looking :( I would the like to add seat cushions in orange or turquoise for color. I am thinking that because the room is so small, the curtains should be neutral to blend in with the wall.
  • 12 years ago
    You might be right about changing out the curtains to a neutral color because you are going to want to put some art up with orange and turquoise in there. The mirror will help open the room up. The height of the table is going to change the height that you'll hang the art. We have two sets of counter height dining tables. At first I though it was a mistake, but we are a tall family and we love it. Lol. Change out the curtains, put up the mirror and add some art and then decide if you want chair cushions. Maybe a good waxing with some all natural beeswax would perk up the table. By the time they get married you'll have that place *in ship shape* :D
  • 12 years ago
    Let's hope so! May 18! Happasaclam, are you a Marine by any chance???! :)
  • 12 years ago
    I've got a son that's a former Marine and a son-in-law that's a SSgt. Semper Fi! :D
  • 12 years ago
    Son got out as a Sergeant! :))
  • 12 years ago
    Bravo Zulu to you for having 2 selfless men in your family. They are the cream of the cream of the crop! When Josh was at OCS in Pensacola, he had a Marine drill sergeant who stood about 4' 8" and who had to finally salute Josh as an officer. Josh said that man terrified us and no matter what rank I am, I will salute HIM!! lol
  • 12 years ago
    bichon and happy, future son in law just made corporal in the USMC reserves! So proud of him! Was on active duty in Iraq in '07. New to the marine family, but happy to be here.