Software
Houzz Logo Print
slonstedy

What would you do?

12 years ago
What would you do….? My marble island was delivered yesterday. There is a small white 'weight fracture' that occurred either by delivery or installation. It is an island that was built up to double thickness and I guess it was too much for the small area (near the island sink). Is it worth asking them to redo it? The color of the slab was hard to find. Should the kitchen designer/contractor do something? We are being billed extra for the upgraded marble and double build. Or do we learn to love it and keep the harmony since the kitchen is not yet finished?

Comments (38)

  • 12 years ago
    I wouldn't just learn to love it. You paid for this and they should have known how to handle it so that it doesn't break. Seeing that fracture every day would annoy me.
    slonstedy thanked printesa
  • 12 years ago
    Will you REALLY ever learn to "love it?" I'm guessing you paid quite a bit for marble of that thickness - you should have the contractor contact both the delivery /installation team and have them replace the damaged piece. If you're asking if it's noticeable, yes - I can see it.
    Good luck~
    slonstedy thanked Denise Simon
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    You can't leave it like this, marble is so porous that water and dirt will go into the crack and "eat" it from inside. It has to be replaced, but you need to seal it every year, marble is not easy care for a kitchen.
    slonstedy thanked Studio NOO Design
  • 12 years ago
    Definitely ask them to replace it.
    slonstedy thanked gigirambles
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Let them know you want it replaced right away. Don't back down.
    slonstedy thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • 12 years ago
    Absolutely unacceptable...the only consideration for keeping something damaged would be deep discount compensation! Good luck :)
    slonstedy thanked Angie Brinkman
  • 12 years ago
    That crack would bother me every day. Definitely have them redo it.
    slonstedy thanked tennisanyone
  • 12 years ago
    Nope! Do it NOW while you still have the momentum and the project and MONEY is under YOUR control. Do not keep this. It's going to be a water/moisture issue as well as ever changing your sink, its where you lean against it, it's a high traffic area for dirt...I see nothing but headache POTENTIAL. Sorry. Heck yes they should DO something!
    slonstedy thanked auntiebuzzybee
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    If you're dealing with a reputable contractor (assuming they controlled the purchase and installation) and a reputable fabricator then there should be no question or resistance about replacing this. Marble is a soft stone and requires careful handling. They could have helped prevent this by inserting metal rods in the underside of the marble during fabrication in that area. Accidents happen, we're all human, but they should have offered to make it right. You would be justified in asking them to replace it. You shouldn't have to learn to love it.
    slonstedy thanked TRV Design Build, LLC
  • 12 years ago
    A good contractor would never have left this installation with that crack in the installation. It is, of course, at the weak point that every granite and marble contractor sweats over until the slab is installed. They left knowing it needed replacing, but I guess the boss wasn't there and they hoped they would get away with it.
    slonstedy thanked m3459
  • 12 years ago
    Totally agree with with m3459. Totally unacceptable. I am sure the contractor is expecting and dreading your call because they are in the wrong. I am concerned about you wanting to "keep harmony". I Was the GC for my house and while I tried not to be a witch I expected and insisted upon things being done to a certain standard. I agree, don't sweat the small stuff but this is big stuff.
    slonstedy thanked saratogaswizzlestick
  • 12 years ago
    This happened to us last year in our bathroom. The stone folks installed the granite vanity top and apparently the installer chipped the sink edge, which I discovered hours after the fact when I ran my fingers around the sink edge. Our contractor (who was not associated with the stone people) tried to get us to accept it, but by the next day I was literally ill at the thought of "living with it." We got the stone people to recut and replace the vanity top and I was extremely happy we did. Do NOT "live with it." You will be sick about it every time you see it.
    slonstedy thanked miamine
  • 12 years ago
    Would ask that the marble be replaced immediately, before you get used to it. The contractor shouldn't expect you to accept this, nor would I let him credit me. Contractor should be covered with insurance. This crack will lead to all sorts of problems and make resale of your house difficult. You know how we like a nice kitchen. Very noticeable, unfortunately. If contractor/ installer gives you a hard time and you paid with CC, notify the CC company.
    They usually will mediate for you.
    slonstedy thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    DONT ACCEPT THAT U WILL REGRET IT LATER.
    slonstedy thanked Iloveittwo Iloveittwo
  • 12 years ago
    Demand a new one. You didn't get your stone at a scratch and dent sale.
    slonstedy thanked dstemple1956
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    @judiwithani
    damaging your product during transportation or installation is not covered under any contractor's general liability policy. it's just a risk of doing business.
    slonstedy thanked TRV Design Build, LLC
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you everyone-As you can see by the following photos, the actual view isn't as bad as the first picture. My husband is totally confused as to how to move forward because he truly loves the look of the island…I guess we'll sleep on it and decide tomorrow. We appreciate all your comments. It really helps hearing from people who have 'no skin in the game..' Thanks!
  • 12 years ago
    tell your contractor it is an advertisement of their work!!
    slonstedy thanked motherof4islands
  • 12 years ago
    Sleep on it, but hope you agree with everyone on here - the contractor should make this right. In a year, or two or five or more, my guess is you will regret it if you don't. We accepted a concrete finish we didn't want because we felt badly for the installer who spaced out when he poured the concrete and we thought we could "make do". I am pretty sure he didn't feel badly for cashing our check, but we regret the wrong finish years later. We live with it, he is long gone. We learned from that lesson.
    slonstedy thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    Your island is beautiful. But those cracks just aren't right. There will be problems in the future with moisture and dirt. Plus YOU will know it's there. You are paying a lot of money for it I'm sure and it needs to be right.
    slonstedy thanked Melissa
  • 12 years ago
    I think you should get it replaced

    You paid for it and you paid for premium quality - not a cracked piece of marble.
    slonstedy thanked jonomat
  • 12 years ago
    I would ask to replace it too but if you decide to love it then I would ask them a big rebate.
    slonstedy thanked suzanne_m
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Call the installer and have them take a look. Did the crack develop after they completed the install or did it break while they were installing it? Did you pay them in full yet? If not, DO NOT pay the balance until the issue is resolved. They may have some sort of repair to offer before doing a complete replacement.
    Contact them immediately, work with them, negotiate and preferably tell them that you look forward to completing payment for the work after this problem has been suitably resolved.
    slonstedy thanked David J Gill
  • 12 years ago
    Hi slonstedy, Same questions as David's. Curious to hear their reply -- did the installer see the crack before, during, or after the install, and just left without telling you ?
    slonstedy thanked Ed
  • 12 years ago
    My eyesight is bad, but even I can see that crack. Not good enough, and I would not accept it.
    slonstedy thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    David J Gill- I actually spoke face to face with the fabricator/owner/installer. He admitted that it cracked when they were installing it because they couldn't 'slide the counter' like they normally do due to the thickness and weight. He said if he has to redo it-he can't do it with the thick edge because it will probably happen again. The thick look is the one thing my husband has wanted from day 1. I think my husband is going to call the contractor and talk money. :-/
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Hi slonstedy, so they billed you extra for the upgraded marble and double build, but they lack the experience/skills to install it properly ??? Only now he tells you he cannot do it with the thick edge ? Why didn't he tell you that when you asked for the thick edge before anything was cracked, instead of now -- or did he warn you ? :)
    slonstedy thanked Ed
  • 12 years ago
    And you probably told him how much you loved it, right? And how you feel badly about it? And how your husband and you are both torn about this....look, we're all pretty much telling you the same thing from why its not a good idea for resale, for moisture, to the response that it's an OBVIOUS crack we CAN see...from professionals to consumers, our opinions are very similar. Now the contractor is telling you they couldn't do what they "normally" do like it's YOUR particular install or order. Well what DOES he normally do for other customers whose thick slabs he cracks? If he can't do the job then maybe he should take his slab back and you should find someone who won't try to "influence" you to keep a cracked piece in your house. I think he's trying to get you to be satisfied and he gets money and has no skin left in the game, as you say. Now he's saying he can't do this job for you again if this is what you want? Look, he's the PRO at this and he's probably adept at how to speak to customers he kind of has over a barrel, especially the nice ones. Slonstedy, you asked, we answered. Hopefully you won't just roll over on this but it is your home and your money and you gotta live with it. None of us do, including the contractor. I just really hope you'll listen to this good advise you've gotten. Turn this thing around, slonstedy. Tell him come get your slab and see what he does.
    slonstedy thanked auntiebuzzybee
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you everyone. Fortified by all of your comments we spoke with our kitchen contractor and he, as well as the marble fabricator, couldn't have been more accommodating. The island top is being removed and remade. Truly we appreciate your input and your valid comments. It was the push we needed. Merry Christmas!
  • 12 years ago
    Terrific! Merry Christmas!
  • 12 years ago
    Right is right. Happy to hear it will be resolved - Merry Christmas!!
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for telling us the outcome.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Excellent work slonstedy! Give yourself a hug! The best to you!
  • 12 years ago
    i'm glad they're redoing it.
    i would have been in tears.
  • 12 years ago
    Hi slonstedy, Congrats! Nice present! :)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I'm not surprised they want to rectify the problem; it is what they should do. Will they make and install it exactly the same way? I saw your comment about what the installer said about the difficulties.
    I bet the installer didn't mention it immediately because he was mortified by his own mistake. Marble is a natural product; I would suppose it can have inherent week spots.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Definitely don't live with it. The company that you bought it from needs to take responsibility for it and they or their delivery people should have insurance....
    Things often get damaged in delivery and instillation. Your contractor should be able to take care of this for you.... I ordered a consul with a marble top for a client , it got damaged 3 times in shipping and 3 times they had to remake! Eventually it worked out! Good luck!