Software
Houzz Logo Print
danielleklassen

Choosing a backsplash

12 years ago
The main floor of my house is an open concept kitchen, living, & dining room. The floors are dark hardwood with cream ceramic tile in the kitchen. The kitchen cabinets are dark wood and the countertops are a white granite with flecks of black, brown, grey, & taupe. I would like a backsplash that won't go out of style in the next few years. I am looking for suggestions!

Comments (27)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    This is a perfect palette for nearly anything! Since your kitchen is so neutral you have the opportunity to really add a pop or color if you like, or keep things calm. One thing that would look great and never age is a classic white subway tile (preferably marble) or white penny tile. I've attached an example of each (one is a bathroom, but has the same color palette as your kitchen). As for bold, you could go with nearly any color backlash. If you are going in the colorful direction, I would pick a solid color and choose a fun pattern. Make sure the color matches whatever is in the space next to the kitchen - you want to tie in colors in your open concept spaces. See some more examples, attached!
  • 12 years ago
    Agree with Doug that anything would work...I'm guessing you're not looking for a bold mosaic...would you want color or stick with neutrals?
  • 12 years ago
    I agree that anything would work, but if you ave an open concept, it would be helpful to see what the living room and dining room spaces look like to suggest colors for the backsplash.
  • 12 years ago
    I think I want to stick to a neutral and I like the white subway tiles. My next question would be how high up the wall should the backsplash go? I was thinking to the top of the cabinets.
  • 12 years ago
    Here are a few photos of the rest of the area. Everything is neutral with a few turquoise accents.
  • 12 years ago
    White subway tiles are so overdone these days. You can choose from so many other possibilities. Take your time and find something more unique that you just LOVE!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I suggest a glass tile color blend.....see attached photo from our project in Ipswich, MA.
    Ipswich House Construction Photos · More Info
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Danielle, I think you are right on the money with the top of the cabinets. I think that would be the perfect height.
  • 12 years ago
    Would you consider a glass tile/stainless steel look? Some of the horizontal combo tiles give you dark, light and the stainless for a really nice effect.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Try tin back splash or a smokey mirror tile...
  • 12 years ago
    The dark cabinets is a very classic elegant style...I redid a kitchen in my basement suite, and used subway tile backsplash with a little bit of brown/beige glass and marble tiles... Maybe replacing one set of cupboard doors with glass inserts might add a bit of sparkle
  • 12 years ago
    one more thing ... I used a dark grout in the subway tiles... I was nervous, but I think it worked well with the dark cabinets?
  • 12 years ago
    I think a very pale green or aqua glass tile would be great in your space.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    The perfect backsplash would be silver look. You can get a glass mosaic painted in silver it would open the space and pick up the surrounding colours to compliment the space see attached photo samples
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I used glass mosaic for my kitchen although I have winter white cabinets I chose a dark color to break up the white.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I really like your patterned chairs so what about one to tie in with that design along with under cabinet lighting to draw attention to the design.
    Again there is lots of different under cabinet lighting if you were to go down that route and they are pretty easy to install.
    ( http://www.meteorelectrical.com/halolite-12v-g4-glass-fixed-triangular-halogen-cabinet-light.html)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Danielle, I love some of these other suggestions (they are so fun!), but keep in mind that many of these may not be "timeless" as you had hoped. Going with a mosaic glass tile or a colorful/patterned pop could be wonderful if you are willing to redo it years down the road if they go out of style. Something neutral and simple will stay classic and you can bring in color with accessories in your space (which are much easier to change down the road!).
  • 12 years ago
    I would like to see a photo of the wall with the stove but I think I would tile the window wall to the ceiling and the range wall to under the cabinets.
  • 12 years ago
    I like the ones posted by kwhynot, today. Keep it simple, or if you want a little punch, try stainless subway. No color. Now that gis out of style in time.
  • 12 years ago
    Another question about the backsplash height: on the oven wall I think I would go up to the range hood - should I go to the same height on the wall with the window (about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up the window)?
  • 12 years ago
    Here is an Ikea ad as a guideline. Hopefully you'll be able to see the backsplash going to the top of the window on the window wall and the tile on the other wall up to the cabinets but in your case I would tile up to the range hood.
  • 12 years ago
    Maybe this is better.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I would either do the glass painted back splash or a subway tile in the same color tone as the counters. It's neutral and then I would add color wih canister and mixer etc. So you You can add a pop of color with a place mat. This way you won't be locked into it permantly and cannot update when you want. I learned the hard way went with a trendy backsplash and after the holidays we are changing it. Here's some 4 x 12 glass tiles or subway glass tiles there are some beautiful ones out there.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Put what you love up. Don't worry about it "getting old" a backsplash is a very easy redo down the road.
  • 12 years ago
    My kitchen is very similar to yours! I agonized over the backsplash. I ended up with Daltile subways in Architectural Gray with a herringbone design behind the cooktop bordered by a mosaic that pulls in all the colors. I knew I didn't want a mosaic throughout but I wanted something different behind the cooktop. I absolutely love our choices. Forget what people say is in or out and choose what YOU love! I chose everything in our new house with that in mind. Good luck! Post pictures of your finished project!
  • 12 years ago
    Your colours ARE very similar. Thank you to everyone for their ideas. I plan to make my final choices in January.