Software
Houzz Logo Print
karilee_kelley

Colors?

12 years ago
I need to know what colors to look for in bedding, rug, curtains, etc. I have no idea where to start!

Comments (50)

  • 12 years ago
    Oh this is for my 8 yr. old daughters bedroom.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I love the color.........I would go for white and very feminine furniture, bedding and a white shag area rug.........
    .
    Accent the room with colorful pillows and a bright chair and lamp in one of her other favorite colors..........deep blue, bright yellow, orange and purple would all look great.........
  • 12 years ago
    Maybe let her pick it out? Almost any girly stuff would go with that color. But, given the bright color, I would add some white and lighter colors. Maybe this: http://www.target.com/p/circo-woodland-friends-sheet-set/-/A-14648851#prodSlot=large_1_11 and this: http://www.target.com/p/nayeli-s-charm-oval-rug/-/A-13619091#prodSlot=medium_1_26
  • 12 years ago
    I find the color stimulating, and would add only shades of cream and maybe some calming lilac/lavender. It is a beautiful pink tone but too much energy in the room....
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Some more...
  • 12 years ago
    At 8 years old, your daughter may outgrow her current favourite things within a few years. I would probably buy her bedding at Ikea for the best price point. The first three options below are all Ikea. I especially like the first one in natural linen, if she will go for it. It would look great with a white bed.

    The fourth pic is PB Teen which will cost a little more, but may be a pattern she will co to use to like into her teen years.
  • 12 years ago
    What would you like to say?What would you like to say?I love the idea of using white...however white things don't seem to stay white in this house :)

    I was hoping people would show me some of the colors above! It is exactly what I was thinking just unsure.

    We will be using decorated block letters on her wall to spell out something just haven't decided yet what. There is a perfect spot for it.

    My favorite bedding is the paisley one from pottery barn shown. I've had my eye on it but didn't know if I'd have to match the pink on the walls exactly.

    Thanks for everyone's advice!
  • 12 years ago
    Also love the green above, and the blue dots in the bedding.
  • 12 years ago
    The paisley one is a fun print, isn't it? No, you don't have to match the paint exactly. There are lots of other great colors in that print that you could introduce - maybe the aqua, or the brown or both? It will offset the pink walls quite nicely.

    Have fun with the room - little girls' rooms are the best rooms to decorate!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    http://www.landofnod.com/kids-girl-bedding/kids-bedding/1

    If you have deep pockets this place is amazing! I had gift cards, so I bought my sons bedding here.
  • 12 years ago
  • 12 years ago
    What is the name of the wall color, karilee?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Another standard scheme is to mix navy and white with the pink. And optionally, a touch of powder blue or aqua. Props to Caitlin Wilson who posted this fab example of a bedroom on her blog. The navy and white will balance the magenta, and may 'grow' with her longer than neon shades.
  • 12 years ago
    With that colour wall, a white shaggy rug, a bright purple chair in the corner with a white pillow, a purple lamp. To add more girly-ness and a bit of difference add glitter somewhere
  • 12 years ago
    It's Dutch Boy Flirt With Fuschia. And I know it's out there but my daughter didn't want to move her room upstairs into the new room so I let her pick the color so she felt more like it is truly her room. So now I need to find a few bed sets for her to choose from that will work with the walls that I can live with. So even though white might calm the room down that really isn't a color I'd place on an 8 year olds bed. Maybe a room that is for show or a guest room but certainly not a well lived in 8 year old's room. Yes those pretty but they won't work for us.
  • 12 years ago
    What color sofa, rugs and accent should be use? Also the big square opening is going to be a breakfast bar so what color quartz do you recommend?
  • 12 years ago
    I know this site is kinda confusing to me as a newbie so I'm guessing you are too. I think you should post your pic as a new dilemma or discussion. Right now you asked about your project on my help question. I can't begin to try & help you...I can't figure out that kind of stuff for myself! LOL : )
  • 12 years ago
    I hear you about the white, karilee! And in a few years it will be spilled nail polish and all sorts of other gobbledygook! You probably guessed, though, that I was having a little trouble picturing all the bright colors!

    It is your daughter's room, though, and if she can handle the bright, don't worry about it. The bad taste police aren't going to be knocking on your door anytime soon! If any of her furniture is white, that would help a lot. And the other thing you could do is hang white cotton panels on the windows, along with a room darkening blind or maybe a brown woven shade that would pick up the browns in the bedding set.

    Just as an aside, as a cute decorating idea, have you considered running a string of clear,colored Xmas lights around her window? It's an easy DIY project and sure adds some glam to a little girl's bedroom. Just thought I'd toss that out, having raised three girls myself!
  • 12 years ago
    One more way to get white in there (and tone down the pink a tad) is to hang art or posters that have a white matte and frame. :))
  • 12 years ago
    Still looking at bedding. Here are many to look at. Also window treatments. Another thing is trim...does it need to be what the rest of our home has???
  • 12 years ago
    Karilee, is this the dilemma you want people to visit? Choose bedding or a rug this week while the sales are on. Then take your room colours from that item. Let your daughter help choose.
  • 12 years ago
    I would go to Target .. for $60, you get sheets, shams & comforter. As Karemore pointed out earlier, kids want to change their room décor every year.
  • 12 years ago
    Yes chookchook2 this is it. Karemore is GREAT just looking for other ideas. Here are more things I need help with.
    - which bed should we use. I'm not liking the loft bed as much as I thought I would.
    - what should I do to the door I don't like.
    Was thinking about making the little corner a chill spot with soft seating of some sort. Thoughts??? Ideas???
    - where should I put the bed, dresser....there is also a small white vanity(without mirror), white tool top desk, & a white toy kitchen my grandfather made for me as a child. Not sure if I can fit it all in!
    -also have a quilt rack/shelf that my father made & she wants to use it in her room again. Should it go over the bed???

    The color of the shelf is what color the trim will be.
  • 12 years ago
    Oh almost forgot I have these paper lanterns for her room also.
    And here is more pics!
  • 12 years ago
    shelf/quilt rack. Also the color trim will be.
  • 12 years ago
    Thoughts on these bedding sets???
  • 12 years ago
    thoughts?
  • 12 years ago
    @Grooby I'm guessing by the "like" you would go with one of those 2 sets. Thanks! I also need help with ALL my other questions! ANYBODY out there???
  • 12 years ago
    I think I read recently about a paper lantern catching fire, so be sure to follow the instructions about the maximum wattage.
  • 12 years ago
    There aren't lights in them. They are only decorations. We took the loft bed out. We are using the spindle bed.
  • 12 years ago
    You must ignore the current bedding! Please let me know what everyone feels about furniture placement.
  • 12 years ago
    My top pick would be white
  • 12 years ago
    Is that Benjamin Moore strawberry shortcake? I just painted my girls bedroom in that. My husband accidentally painted the entire room pink-wow was that ever hard on the eyes! I said one wall pink! So now I have the other walls white. I'm planning to decorate with white, turquoise and pink.
  • 12 years ago
    I found this picture on houzz for inspiration
  • 12 years ago
    My daughter is turning seven in two weeks and we are moving her to her own room. Here is what I have so far. The color is similar to what your DD chose. We chose neutral bedding with lots of fun accent colors.
  • 12 years ago
    The paper lanterns remind me of my 9 yo daughter's bedding from PB Teen. She chose the bedding then the paint color, it matches the darkest stripe in the duvet perfectly. The kid has a great eye! You need sunglasses to walk into her room, but it suits her perfectly!

    HTH,
    Coco
  • 12 years ago
    Oh sorry, read too quickly and didn't realize the walls are painted already. Can't figure out how to delete my comment on my ipad! :)
  • 12 years ago
    Yes walls are done. Carpet done. Trim ordered. Now bedding, curtains, and wall decor. Also need advice on furniture placement, & what to do with the ugly closet door. Really thinking the below left print could be the bedding of choice??? But daughter really likes the middle & the right. I don't like the right one at all!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Is there any way the furniture, doors and trim to be painted white? This is a darker pink screaming for light contrasts. I'd also stay away from darker colors on the bedding. For instance, choose lavender over purple, soft baby pink over fuscia. Please hand draw a layout of the room showing doors, windows and furniture to advise on placement.
  • 12 years ago
    @APK Designs~Will draw out room as soon as I can (not very good at that though). The bed, dresser & trim can not be painted Sorry. But the desk & vanity or what ever that are cream can be painted any color. One door is already white. Will paint other ugly door white if you want me to.
  • 12 years ago
    I would stay with lighter colors, mostly white/cream, neutrals and just a hint of coordinating accessories with color.
  • 12 years ago
    Here are some room ideas with similar wall color to the one you have chosen:

    KTH Interior Design Work · More Info

    Tineke triggs · More Info

    Greystone Mansion · More Info

    Pink Designs · More Info

    Eclectic Bedroom · More Info

    Ewan Residence Girls Bedroom · More Info

    Contemporary Kids · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Definitely have bedding narrowed down to a few choices. Going to let daughter pick final choice.


    ***i need to paint the roll top desk & the other cream piece of furniture ..... What kind of paint do you use on furniture? I've never had any luck with it drying. It ALWAYS stays tacky forever!!!
  • 12 years ago
    Here is a current layout. And pics.
  • 12 years ago
    Annie Sloan chalk paint ,no need to prime and will not scratch off,google it
  • 12 years ago
    Room is already painted...PINK.

    Need ideas on:
    Furniture placement
    Bedding
    The corner
    Ugly Closet door
  • 12 years ago
    The corner: Some (white) shelves and maybe some storage for laundry. I would stay away from too many colours for the duvets, sheets etc. You can have a coloured bedcover and some coloured pillows but I would get something in the same colour range. If you want to experiment a bit I would go for different patterns instead of many different colours. Doors should be white..What about a white skirting?
  • 12 years ago
    As in bed skirt???
  • 12 years ago
    Ok I KNOW this is a Really Really bad pic....but I need help with window treatments!!! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida