Software
Houzz Logo Print
lndb

Need Paint Color Ideas...

12 years ago
I have attached photos of the furniture we just purchased (it hasn't been delivered yet so thats why the pics don't show it placed in the room). I also attached a photo of the room itself. I wanted to attach more room photos, but I guess 4 photos is the limit. The futon will not be part of the completed room (its our makeshift couch until the furniture arrives). I am terrible at picking out paint colors. The last time I painted a room my husband complained that it felt "cold". So I am looking for something "warm". The room has high ceilings so I assume the paint color would need to go all the way up the wall?? We have not purchased any other pieces for the room yet…no tables, lamps etc. We have recessed lighting in the ceiling. Any ideas/help is appreciated!!

Comments (31)

  • 12 years ago
    Here are additional photos of the room...
  • 12 years ago
    So are the colors tan and gray only? It is hard to see Wolfs photo since I cannot zoom it. I am PA and shop there too!
  • 12 years ago
    You can add photos with every comment you make. We like to see all four walls, and the focal point (FP, view, etc) to be more help. Also, will there be TV and where are the connections for it?
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, the colors in the furniture are primarily tan and gray. The welt on the couch is a greenish/blue. The collection is Ashworth Shabby Chic by Klaussner. Here are a few more pics of the room. We had the electrician install the connections for the TV above the fireplace so they are hidden.
  • 12 years ago
    How about sea salt by Sherwin Williams?
  • 12 years ago
    Also like Granite Dust by valspar
  • 12 years ago
    That's a beautiful color...would you paint all the walls that color? Pretty much all the walls in the living room extend into thee parts of the house. The fireplace walk extends into the breakfast area...the large wall extends into the foyer...
  • 12 years ago
    Sorry...autocorrect messed up my last post :-) should say "other" not "thee" and "wall" not "walk"
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    AHHHH!!! the welt in the couch is a greenish blue!! There is your answer. Do the pillows that come with the couch have that color in them as well? To answer one of your first questions...paint needs to go all the way up the walls. You could look into some pretty pale green/ blues for paint. Or paint the walls neutral, but in a warm neutral...undertones of yellows and greens versus gray. Then utilize some lamps and pillows in the greenish blue of the welt. If you buy chairs, they can be a really neat print with the colors in them as well., or a darker beige neutral with the color pillows on them.
  • 12 years ago
    Wow! Granite Dust is really nice! And feels warm! It's also a color that I wouldn't be afraid to use on a 25' high wall :-)
  • 12 years ago
    Are you looking for area rug? Drapes? Furniture? Accent pieces?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Whatever color or colors you may decide on, it is a good investment to purchase sample sizes. Also, avoid painting the actual wall with several colors of paint. Get some poster or practice boards, paint them with two coats of each sample, then hang them in different parts of the space in different lighting. Wait for your couch to be delivered for a final decision.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks Marla! Yes the pillows do have the greenish blue color in them. I was worried that using a green or blue paint shade would feel cold. That's the shade I used in our last house that my husband didn't like :-( your neutral paint suggestion reinforces my love of "Granite Dust"
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Agree with shortped, an area rug would do wonders to define the space in what looks like a very large area. Also helps to pull colors from the rug for pillows, paint and drapes. Get the rug before you paint, especially if you want a patterned one.
  • 12 years ago
    Shortped...I'm looking for unique/antique accent pieces. Nothing concrete in mind...but I feel like I will know it when I see it. Drapes on the other hand are something else I struggle with...suggestions for that are welcome :-)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    That is because blue is a cool shade. For large tall walls, I always prefer more off a neutral, and then use the greens and blues in lamps, pillows and accessories.
  • 12 years ago
    Is it ok to use an area rug over carpet? How large should it be? Should it extend under the furniture? Or just in the center of the room?
  • 12 years ago
    Pottery barn Malia paisley rug is nice. Would it match? Which Wolfs do you go to?
  • 12 years ago
    Front legs of furniture should be on rug for sure.
  • 12 years ago
    Also, what finish of paint do you recommend? Satin? Flat?
  • 12 years ago
    We use the Wolf in York.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    If you are adding antique touches, then the traditional look of long stationary drapes would look great. Hang them as high as possible, as panels on either side of the windows, either on decorative rods with finials, or on medallions. Very dramatic. As this will need to be custom, and an investment.....You can use a semi sheer neutral fabric, just to soften the area and give you longevity as you change designs in the future.
  • 12 years ago
    Sorry. No that area rug I mentioned is not the right blue
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    JudyG.. Not sure that I like the gray and cream pillows with a blue/ green welt? Like the idea of new pillows and the IKAT print...but maybe gray and cream with a hint of some aqua?
  • 12 years ago
    That pillow fabric is the same as the chair?
  • 12 years ago
    Calico corners
  • 12 years ago
    Pretty options
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Maria, I didn’t realize the sofa had blue and green welting. Thanks…I read post again, carefully, this time. Need to tie in the IKAT chair, for sure.

    shortped, yes it is the same fabric. I like all your choices, too, except how to tie in the IKAT with those?
  • 12 years ago
    Tie it in with draperies?
  • 12 years ago
    Something bright