Software
Houzz Logo Print
judithhank

Is my style dated?!?

12 years ago
We just bought z house and I've been posting to get some ideas from you guys... I love antique and having a cozy feel but wondering if my style is not working?!?!

Comments (501)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Whew! Such dedication to your interior! Beautiful to see in someone so young!

    The label of Shabby Chic fits you so well and it has only taken this long to ding that into my head! Should have picked up on that earlier. . . .

    So, then. Here are some ideas that might click.

    * Christopher's idea of moving the 3 crewel pieces into the DR is great. They could go on either side of your hutch - long one on one side and the pair, stacked on the other. They are more shabby than the candle holders, have pattern and color for that wall.

    * Bring the captain's chairs to the ends of the table. In their place, find a pair of old dining chairs that have tall backs and upholstered back/seat, do your magic with paint and fabric, and put them on each side of the hutch. The fabric would, of course, coordinate with the crewel pieces and rug. Use some color in the fabric and painted chair frames. Look in thrift shops, garage sales, etc. for the chairs. These chairs should have upholstered backs because you already have 6 open back chairs, that 's enough of those, and you need pattern in there - up on the wall [as well as on the floor with your rug].

    One step farther, repeat the fabric from your chairs at the windows. Either full panels or trim plain ones with wide strips of it down center front or across the bottoms, tiebacks, valances. Also for table linens.

    * Please do not paint the DR furniture. I know you are itching to, but they are in good condition and there are other things you can do to the space that will not be so drastic.

    * Another treatment for your table top would be to use a plateau or mirror to place things on. This would give you boundaries for the objects you place there. A mirror could come from a framed mirror you have around the house - un-frame it or not. This would give you some sparkle too.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I say go with what you like. That being said I do think the furniture is a little formal for the room. With that fireplace I think you may want to look at recovering the furniture with a less formal material. Something with a small print or solid to keep it from competing with the busy fireplace rock. I also agree the picture is too small for the fireplace.
  • 12 years ago
    Sandy love love your ideas! I'll be looking for some chairs... I do have mirror that looks like this...I took out of the powder room? It's rounded in the edges
  • 12 years ago
    The mirror is 29 inches width and about 3 ft height
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    -- You are over-the-top!

    By the way, it really doesn't matter what style the chairs are [well, within reason!]. Trust your gut. The story will be in the fabric pattern and paint color[s].

    Mirror rounded top AND bottom? If so, try it on your table. If not, it isn't going to work on the table - It really has to be oval, round or rectangular.

    Also, the gold piece with beads in this group of linens looks very interesting! Beautiful color to boot. Could you scrunch that up on your table with a few things set on it?
  • 12 years ago
    Just look at your great finds! How inspiring! If the birdcage is rattan/straw it may have to be sprayed, but everything has possibilities!!!!! Yay
  • 12 years ago
    So far
  • 12 years ago
    I'll try everything during nap time..
  • 12 years ago
    Sandy the mirror is rounded too and bottom ill try it at nap time
  • 12 years ago
    Will your candle holders with the birds inside fit on your sconces?
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Great, The WHITE TABLECLOTH THAT IS ON THE LEFT CHAIR IN RIGHT PICTURE..
    That is Just Perfect for your design hope.
    Let's try that..PLEASE.
    Would you PAINT your lattern? or bird candle holders all white?
    Perfect starter pieces...and will add height to your table.

    Do you have 6 napkins/SERVIETTES with white backgrounds?

    My personal opinion is that while the tapestry piece is beautiful it won't give you the white look you are looking for. :(

    Becareful not to scratch the back of the mirror.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Janelle....while Christopher has a slew of suggestions, keep in mind that you need place for food on the table :) ....and don't paint those beautiful bird candleholders white! Love them as they are.
  • 12 years ago
    Janelle, you have many beautiful items, and you have and are getting some really great ideas. Your doilies reminded me of something I seen on Pinterest. A collection of doilies, all different sizes, were sewn together to form a table runner. To change china cabinet without painting, you can insert something cut to fit the back, behind dishes, like a thin plywood, and either paint or cover with fabric,wallpaper. And the knobs on the drawers in front could be switched for some glass ones(keep the original).
  • 12 years ago
    Still working on it... Opinions?
  • 12 years ago
    Thinking no runner on top?
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    PLEASE look at this: I would love to see you make chairback covers in this style...think white eyelet (with quilt batting), or a white quilted tone on tone fabric.
    ..they are simple to make... Just keep in mind for next year.

    Colorful Ranch · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    keep the runner...eliminate the mirror ...looks like it would interfere with place settings, glasses, etc....unless you don't plan to eat at this table.
  • 12 years ago
    Marlene m great ideas for china cabinet... Still working on it:)
  • 12 years ago
    It's just too much now..ill get my bath and come back:)
  • 12 years ago
    Tweaked
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    DOILIES Sorry, but only my thought....think the doilies are too much with the plates.. Makes my eyes go all over the place...:(
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    CHAIRS: i like Sandy's idea of placing your arm chairs at the table (unless they take up too much space)
    I would like to see more of the white walls showing to keep the space light, so I personally wouldn't add more chairs.
  • 12 years ago
    Ok for right now... I like this.. Going to walk away and do another project and come back... I've hot a wall collage I can start. I do plan on getting a few things like the fabric for the chairs and two more chairs... But for now I have no money to spend on decorations
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I like the small mirror. Anything that can bring White and Light into the dinning area is a good thing. II was picturing a very small bird cage (more for decor) but that one is large and causes the other objects to disappear IMO. have to go now but I will edite my answer later after reading everything.

    EDIT: This one is so adorable for just under $8.00. Saw them too at Michael's Arts & Crafts. You can shop on-line. Notice that it is white, haha...But you are right, once you get your chandelier, you will be able to see what truly should be on the table. Keep it simple. :)

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/WHITE-METAL-10-5-x-6-HINGED-DECORATIVE-BIRD-CAGE-/151227783005
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Colorful Ranch · More Info

    Eclectic Living Room · More Info


    North Chattanooga Renovation · More Info


    romantic home · More Info


    Janelle, I think the eggs are lovely and thought you would like
    the seaside table also
    NOTICE the large shells in the curio....they would be great with
    your summer ahoy vignette. All you would require would be
    a couple of white pillar candles.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    -- simplify, simplify, simplify. First decide which of the looks you have posted would be fun to work on, finish it and live with it for a while. We have you running from pillar to post trying to find things for your table scape. And I apologize for my part in this!

    So, going back over the DR part of your thread, you posted 2 different styles for your table. One is simple and the other one is not simple. Why not work on the simple one for starters? You posted a look of shabby chic that is cleaner than the other looks that are busier.

    Get your chandelier up, crewel hung, accent chairs painted and upholstered, and then tackle the table scape. This is the part that is going to change more often than the other things - in fact, you will be changing that out forever! Work on the steady-as-she-goes parts first.

    I hope you can see the shabby chic influence in these 2 photos - eventho they are much simpler than the look you are working so hard on. You said that something just isn't right with your attempts and just maybe you are trying too hard to get too many different items to work together in too many different ways. It is easy, yet very difficult, to nail this look, as you know. You can picture it in your mind - easily - but pulling it off to the Nth is a challenge.
  • 12 years ago
    Why is everyone so obsessed with it being an all white table scape? I think the earlier photos with actual colors in the table scape were more appealing.
  • 12 years ago
    Janelle posted us a picture that was all white and she said it made her happy.
    That's why the all white.
    It is quite an elegant yet shabby chic look.
  • 12 years ago
    Perhaps what is needed is to make 3 little finches to put on the branches in the birdcage, yellow, green and blue. Can make out of modeling clay or just squish cotton balls into bird body shape and spray paint them to harden them...then just paint the wings and eyes on, and add a beak. It would break up the white, make sense of the birdcage and branches and bring in the colors from the room and adjacent living room to the landscape.
  • 12 years ago
    Yeah I think once I get the chandelier hung, I'll end up with a lot less on the table!
  • 12 years ago
    not if you eliminate some of the larger vessels.
  • 12 years ago
    If you get a chance read these articles and look over the pictures Janelle:

    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/21st-century-looks-for-shabby-chic-fans-stsetivw-vs~7281745
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/houzz-tour-farmhouse-chic-in-san-francisco-stsetivw-vs~1042598
    Life in the Fun Lane Blog · More Info

    Dreamy Whites · More Info


    And I edited in my last comment.
  • 12 years ago
    This is what I have for now.. Going to keep going in here and seeing how I feel. I just need to get my chandelier up. And I'll read the articles tonight Lynnie. Thank u
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    TABLESCAPE: Like it Janelle, but, think the runner is unnecessary and you might move the 2 white candle holders together on front side.
    You are getting there.!!!!! Yes.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    LACE TRIM if you really want that look on the shelves, would suggest you remove
    the doilies and try the (runner that is under the mirror) on one shelf...(press the edging so lace hangs down.
    Then if you really want the look you could just purchase (AT SOME POINT) white
    lace trim from the notions area, and attach it to the front of the shelves. That
    being said I think it is more sophisticated with out it. (again just my
    style)
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    HARDWARE Also, am not sure about changing the hardware on your hutch...right now your eye is drawn to the white plates, if you change the pulls then your eye will start wandering to the
    hutch and think we should minimize the importance of the hutch. enough said :)
  • 12 years ago
    Paint the back of your bookcases a darker color so books and displayed accessories will standout. I like your traditional chair beside the fireplace, but I think I would prefer to see it recovered in a brighter solid fabric and if you want a different area rug, think about some of the newer patterns like a simple geometric print for a fresh look.
  • 12 years ago
    Janieh burton.. I plan on getting the chair by the fireplace a slip cover. Thank u
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    tablecloth dreams ...ha ha
    Frenchflair · More Info


    Christmas in Salem · More Info


    Traditional Dining Room · More Info

    White Pumpkin Thanksgiving Tablescape · More Info


    Dawn Mohrmann · More Info

    romantic home · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    maybe paint the book selves trim brown like your ceiling which i love and also the picture takes away from the fireplace
  • 12 years ago
    Christopher I love the tables!!! Dreaming!
  • 12 years ago
    Yes let me know what you think about the chabby chic info in the articles. I must say that I really like your pieces with the mirror underneath, and are you going with a white table cloth?
  • 12 years ago
    Lynnie that is my style. My headboard in my master bedroom is actually two old doors just like the one photo. I actually have some of those pictures saved on my computer. I may get a tablecloth.
  • 12 years ago
    I love old doors and windows. So much charm. I got an old door recently to put between a kitchen/dining area and a sunroom. Not up yet, but I am looking forward to seeing it up! I was debating whether to do a chalk paint finish on it or just leave it like it is. I will wax it for sure.

    I was just wondering if those articles gave you some new ideas. :)
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    pretend the beige one is white
    Frenchflair · More Info


    Traditional Dining Room · More Info

    picture either of these on your table...dreaming
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I would love to get my hands on an old Dutch door......
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Janelle,

    You could place your birdcage on top of your china cabinet...and put your cat carrier somewhere else :)
  • 12 years ago
    Christopher.. It wasn't a tablecloth. I just have a bunch of runners. I can't spend any money right now, so I'm just waiting til next week.. Ended up turning one of my glass bowls into a fish tank! Lol... Well see how this goes... Til I can get another one;) the kids love it
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    LOVE the fishbowl...now that is decorating your style.!!!!!!! I think your room is going to be wonderful! :)
    Sorry about going on and on and on....about the tablecloth :) I do
    become enthusiastic when people really do want to make their house a home and not just a cookie cutter house.
  • 12 years ago
    so, how are the fish? :) have you done anymore in your dining room?