Software
Houzz Logo Print
kehkashan_zareena

Painting Panic Moment! Please help!!

12 years ago
We are painting our master bedroom accent wall. This is a Nimbus Gray and this turned out to be a slight blue-ish. Idea was to have a gray -ish shade:-( This is the first time we are painting and I am not feeling good with the way this is going.. Experts out there please help me with your suggestions and tips..

Thank you!

Comments (19)

  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Looking at the color here it shows BM Nimbus Gray with quite a bit of blue
    Nimbus Gray Paint · More Info


    It would be safer to paint a large poster board with a sample of the gray you select and put it on the wall to see how it looks in your room, with your lighting before you start with another gray.

    How dark do you want to go with your accent wall?
    How about Chelsea Gray?
    Chelsea Gray (HC 168) Benjamin Moore · More Info

    Or Metropolis Gray
    Metropolis cc-546 Benjamin Moore · More Info

    Or Coventry?
    Benjamin Moore® Ben® Paint, Coventry Gray HC-169 · More Info
    sweetadobe thanked Denita
  • 12 years ago
    Yes this is Nimbus Gray 2131-50. I did get a poster board and tested and it looked gray which is what I had in mind. But once I painted the wall it appears as a blue ish shade
    I think the only way is to get a lighter color head board and curtains to work with this color
  • 12 years ago
    Do a second coat and let it fully dry.
    sweetadobe thanked dclostboy
  • 12 years ago
    will a 2nd coat make it look more blue-ish??
  • 12 years ago
    Always buy a small trial size of the paint you've chosen and test it on the walls. Look at it in sun and artificial light. It does look blue but might change depending on what your fabrics look like.
  • 12 years ago
    @leelee- Thank you!Yes that is the lesson we learned. We didn't knew that we get trial size of the paint. Anyways, since we started this we decided to complete the wall and see how it looks. Although it is different from what I had in mind I want to live with it for few days and see how the colors looks at different times of the day. Attached is the complete wall and when I place the black color night stand it looks different.. Not sure where to go from here whether to stay with this or re-paint with Metrogray or Tinsmith.
  • 12 years ago
    May be I can paint the remaining 3 walls with some cream color??? the color we currently (as you can see next to the window) have is a tan.
  • 12 years ago
    I painted my guest room gray, they had to make it twice for me.
    I didn't want blue or heavy black so I understand.
    sweetadobe thanked ahostler
  • 12 years ago
    The color, while unexpected, looks stunning.
    sweetadobe thanked dclostboy
  • 12 years ago
    I do like the color. Does it work with your bedding ect.
    sweetadobe thanked saratogaswizzlestick
  • 12 years ago
    I like the combo of the gray and tan. It is very handsome. Do you have artwork for the gray wall? It might lighten the overall feeling once you have your furnishings and accents. What are your plans for window treatments?
    sweetadobe thanked Dina
  • 12 years ago
    @dclostboy- I think I agree with you. But since it is different from what I had in mind I will need to re think of the other wall colors- whether to even paint the other walls or not?, head board color, draperies.
    But yeah it looks nice thought:-)
  • 12 years ago
    You might look at BM Elmira White as a complementary color.
    sweetadobe thanked dclostboy
  • 12 years ago
    @saratogaswizzlestick - I have to still buy a headboard. My original plan was to go with a tufted beige color head board with a gray color accent wall . I already bought a pair of black night stands and lamps. Thats the only furniture I have so far..
    @dinichillibeanie - I don't have any artwork yet. But I am thinking may some pictures framed right above my night stands...?? I want have a tall headboard. For window treatments , I originally wanted to go with some white draperies but may will have to re analyze..
  • 12 years ago
    At least it isn't a purple grey. Then you really wouldn't like it. Lol I like the grey colors the first person commented on. There nice grey's
    sweetadobe thanked jennifer forberg
  • 12 years ago
    First person provided really nice colors. I have chelsea gray as accent wall in my dinning room. It is a very classic color with white trims. Nimbus gray is more towards blue than grey. And it is also a very nice color that infill personality into your bedroom. I use it in my master bed and bathroom. Matching with white dove ceiling and silver gray wall. It looks great with no regrets. Make sure you have a lot of white trim as details it will make your bedroom look spacious, calm, and pricey.
    sweetadobe thanked Runfei Hu
  • 12 years ago
    @Runfei Hu - Yeah thats exactly I want in my master bedroom "calm and pricey":-).
    The more I live with the Nimbus Gray color the more I am liking it. So now the next step would be what to paint for the rest of the 3 walls.. may be dove white or BM white sand.. any ideas?
  • 12 years ago
    BM White Dove
    Benjamin Moore® Ben® Paint, White Dove OC-17 · More Info

    Nimbus Gray Paint · More Info

    White Sand OC-10 Paint by Benjamin Moore · More Info


    Depends on what you want. White Dove gives you that crisp clean contrast and White Sand has more gray.