Software
Houzz Logo Print
jeannie_nguyen

Warm vs Cool

12 years ago
Are you a fan of warm or cool hues?

Vote for your favorite and tell us what you currently have in your home. If you have photos, share them too!
Other - Tell us Below!

Comments (77)

  • 12 years ago
    Although I love the look of both, I personally prefer cool tones, makes me feel more relaxed and calm...and cleaner, guess that's my OCD talking. Lol
  • 12 years ago
    I tend to be a cool person, but I can mix it up!
  • 12 years ago
    Right now I am loving blue everywhere ;) but with warm accents - a little yellow here, a little peach there...
  • 12 years ago
    While I love both warm and cool tones, currently I have gold, terracotta, green, brown and red in my home.
  • 12 years ago
    I use neutral background wall colours in soft greys,white and beige the same with my furniture, then use warm red accents in the winter and cool greens and blues in the summer.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Can't get enough blue, but I like it in a mix, too!
  • 12 years ago
    Live on a mountain top. Tangerine Tango on two walls in the Great Room. The sun shines in and all is right with the world.
  • 12 years ago
    I prefer warm tones. I love the pictures posted by lettersfromtheshore but most of them strike me as warm color schemes because the undertones are very creamy and rich. My favorite rooms are actually warm whites similar to 3 of those pics.
  • 12 years ago
    I tend toward earth tones in my clothing and also favor these in decor and wall colors - or at least neutrals. Greens and purples I can incorporate but blues just don't seem to fit and they give a coldish feel (although I look great in them :)).
  • 12 years ago
    I just adore a lovely deep red but at the end of the day I go for greys, purples, and black.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    We want a place to come home to relax to - for us, that means cool colors. Cool colors for a cool vibe.
  • 12 years ago
    While I typically lean toward muted/grayed tones of reds and oranges, I am finding that the new blues are trending warm, which makes them more appealing to me.
  • 12 years ago
    Blues and greens mostly...the "50-50" room is the exception being orange and white. It doesn't look as orange as it is in the picture...this is the guest room.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I love both warm and cool tones from a hot red powder room to a cool gray master bedroom. It's not so much about the actual colors, as it is about the mood I want to create for the particular space.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Warm colors. They evoke the equatorial regions and cultures to which I am drawn.
  • 12 years ago
    Although I am not overly inspired by either of the example pictures I much prefer warm shades, Dark Indian reds, deep purple, old gold's, and earthen colours give a real cosy, inviting ambiance, Opposed to a more crisp, cold, airy shades of blues - Blue has it's shade and it's place in a bedroom, But definitely not in a kitchen or bathroom.
  • 12 years ago
    Most of the time, I prefer warm colors and always like walls saturated with color. This is in part, because I live in Chicago. I've found over the years, that it is mostly too cold here to feel comfortable in light and airy rooms. In CA, or other warmer climates, it's a different story. I really like a lighter, cooler color palette then.
  • 12 years ago
    I think colors should reflect the people in the home--skin tones are warm or cool-- in my house I have both because I am a winter--cool and my family is mostly summer--so with both clear and dusty colors. It will also depend on the style of the home. I like the idea above for warm and cool for location of the home.
  • 12 years ago
    I live in the Aussie outback do having blue to look at instead of earth colours is refreshing :)
  • 12 years ago
    Stick your head out the window and look up in Aussie outback you'll see enough blue to last you a lifetime - But I agree the cool look is a relief on the harsh weather.
  • 12 years ago
    Cool tones are calmer. Warm tones have more energy. I prefer cool because I prefer calm. Don't like either room presented.
  • 12 years ago
    Don't really like either room. Put the red chair in the blue room and vise versa.
  • 12 years ago
    We have Brazilian slate floors, which have blue gray background with warm tones mixed in. So I have both warm and cool colors. I lean toward the fall warm colors, so I pulled from the warm tones in the slate. Although beautiful, too much of one color in the photos above, I like a little more contrasting colors.
  • 12 years ago
    I agree
  • 12 years ago
    I'm definitely a neutral colour person as far as the house itself goes but as for accent colours I think I would prefer warm..... red/orange/yellow.
  • 12 years ago
    I agree as well. I think you have to go with how you feel in a room. I love a lot of different styles and colors, but I'm a Spring/Fall person, as well as my husband. We live in Northern, MN and the fall and spring is beautiful, so we bring those colors in year round.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    lynnewiitala -- A lovely home. I see a nice spot to sit and have my after-dinner coffee/liqueur.
  • 12 years ago
    i need both. Cool and Hot. rough and Smooth. Raw and refined. Shabby and impeccable....you get it ? Textures. A mix is important.
  • 12 years ago
    You and I are on the same wavelenghth. I thought I would be a minimalist but, I have to many memories and to many treasures of my kids.S
  • 12 years ago
    As an abstract artist, texture is very important in my art, my home and my life.
  • 12 years ago
    I use cool colors because I live in Florida and you do anything to help you feel cool.
  • 12 years ago
    That I understand.I live beside Lake Ontario. Very frigid. I need warmth.
  • 12 years ago
    The opposite end of the color wheel makes some interesting combos.

    Western Springs Living Room · More Info

    Bachelor Pad · More Info

    NY Duplex · More Info


    Better than living in a Gray world.
  • 12 years ago
    I have not read the comments on this question because there are so many! My opinion, though, is that it depends entirely on the home itself and the environment. For example, I now live near the beach and my home is filled with blues and cool colors. When I lived in the mountains, my home was filled with golds and warm colors.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I love the look of crisp white walls and accents of color through artwork and accessories.
  • 12 years ago
    I lean towards cool (blues and greens) but in pastel shades and keep in the same tones with a balance with warm wood.
  • 12 years ago
    Picture a small kitchen with white cabinetry and backsplash, medium gray countertops, and warm mid-tone wood flooring. What paint color to use for the remaining wall space? Warm orange or cool green like Farrow & Ball's Cooking Apple Green?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I'm personally a huge orange fan...so had to go that direction.
  • 12 years ago
    My humble opinion is many errors in decor are the wrong mix of warm and cool tones
    I have made this mistake myself.
    No matter the color, each has a warm and a cool hue.
  • 12 years ago
    My personal favorites are cool blues,greens and purples, but they need warm colors for contrast and balance. So my blue willow kitchen has buttercream walls and copper and cobalt accents. I like neutral colors for big ticket items then changing accents like pillows, linens etc for the seasons.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I am personally a fan of warmer tones, but that "cool" photo is making me change my mind.
  • 12 years ago
    I like warm colours- burgundy and siesta yellows - I live in Ireland - All that Rain and Wind makes me want to hibernate!
  • 12 years ago
    a VERY close race! right now, 406 to 416 with a handful choosing "other" which I guess is... intemperate?
  • 12 years ago
    I think I lean toward the cool colors with some warm pastels like pink, peach, lavender.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Can't help myself - always gravitate toward warmer tones. Just look at any of my work.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I too love the warm tones...tastes are changing. Navy is the new trend for 2014, loving it!
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I like both depending on the room and the use. I do change colour often depending on how I feel in a season so I get to experience both.

    patatas I picked 'Other' because I like both. I assume that's what others meant too. Not intemperate.
    Our winters are cold, we are in the -20Cs now and no sight of spring yet :0( the summers are hot over +30C. I play with colours and textures to change things up a bit LOL
  • 12 years ago
    Blue is my favorite color, and I love a warm and inviting space.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Blue it is
  • 6 years ago

    Heating or Cooling -

    Learn about thermostat modes and how to manually switch between them

    https://www.airconditionersductless.com/


    You may not see all the modes below in the app or on your thermostat. For instance, if your home only has a heating system, you won’t see Cool or Heat•Cool.


    Important: Heat, Cool and Heat•Cool modes each have their own temperature schedule. Your thermostat will learn a different schedule for the modes your system has. If you want to make changes to the schedule, be sure you select the right one.


    1. Thermostat heat icon


    Your system will only heat your home. It won't start cooling unless your Safety Temperatures are reached.

    Your thermostat will start heating to try to maintain any scheduled temperatures or a temperature that you've manually selected.

    Cool


    Thermostat Cool icon


    Your system will only cool your home. It won't start heating unless your Safety Temperatures are reached.

    Your thermostat will start cooling to try to maintain any scheduled temperatures or a temperature that you've manually selected.

    Heat-Cool


    2. Thermostat heat and cool icon


    Your system will either heat or cool to try to keep your home within the temperature range you’ve manually set.

    Your thermostat will automatically switch your system between heating and cooling as needed to meet any scheduled temperatures or a temperature that you've manually selected.

    Heat•Cool mode is useful for climates that consistently require both heating and cooling in the same day. For example, if you live in a desert climate and require cooling during the day and heating at night.

    Off


    Thermostat off icon


    When your thermostat is set to off, it will only heat or cool to try to maintain your Safety Temperatures. All other heating, cooling, and fan control are disabled.

    Your system will not turn on to meet any scheduled temperatures, and you won’t be able to manually change the temperature until you switch your thermostat to another mode.

    Learn more about Off mode >


    Eco


    Nest thermostat eco green leaf icon


    Your system will either heat or cool to try to keep your home within the Eco Temperatures range.

    Note: The high and low Eco Temperatures were set during thermostat installation, but you can change them at any time.

    If you manually set your thermostat to Eco or you set your home to Away, it won't follow its temperature schedule. You'll need to switch it to a heating or cooling mode before you can change the temperature.

    If your thermostat automatically set itself to Eco because you were away, it will automatically return to follow your schedule when it notices that someone has arrived home.

    How to switch between heating, cooling, and off modes