Software
Houzz Logo Print
lmt1022

Help finish Nook

12 years ago
I am trying to finish the nook - the table, chandelier and centerpiece (with different filler) will stay.
I need suggestions for the window treatments, bench cushion fabric, chairs (or bench) for other side of table.
I was thinking possibly a woven natural wood shade for windows, but not sure. I only need them for looks - no privacy issues.

Comments (80)

  • 12 years ago
    Please get wooden blinds to put in the windows. Make sure it's the same color wood as your table and need more throw pillows around the bench. Beautiful space!
    Lynda thanked Lanitra Bynum
  • 12 years ago
    Your light fixture is nice but looks like it's maybe hung a little high. Check to see if it's about 30 inches above the table. That's usually considered the right height.
    Lynda thanked leelee
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hello, Have upholstered cushions made, and shades for windows.
    Use some fabric with texture and color. Runner down the table. Can be a bamboo or reed of some kind. Don't neglect art. Pieces on canvas would be nice. It is adorable, just enjoy making it your very own.
    Victoria
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would love to see an area rug, cushions on the seats, bigger down filled pillows for color and texture and some roman shades! Great little space!
    Lynda thanked Cure Design Group
  • 12 years ago
    @ GN builders, can you show me this code? I've been doing this for 40 years and have never seen it no matter how many times someone claims its there :)
    Here is a direct link to the code section for easy reference.

    http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/irc/2012/icod_irc_2012_3_sec008.htm
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I know the code code in Section R308.4.7 of the 2006 IRC, I haven't checked in 2012 code book.
    The area above a window seat would be considered one of the hazardous locations for a window if it meets the following conditions:
    exposed area of an individual pane is larger than 9 SF
    the bottom edge of the glass is less than 18 inches above the floor
    top edge of the glass is more than 36 inches above the floor
    and there is at least one walking surface within 36 inches horizontally of the glass.

    Since there been quiet a few accidents involving window seat situations, and since window seat shouldn't be used as a walking surface and it is a disputable fact that window seat shouldn't confirm to the stated code....
    But some building departments will require safety glass above window seats simply for safety reason... I know in NJ a few townships will require to have tempered glass.
    Also some building departments will require extended railing or install guard behind bench seating on the deck or balcony for safety reasons.
    With that said code or no code, I would never install a window seat without having tempered glass behind it especially if little kids in the house... Better safe then sorry, not to mention we talking about a few hundred dollars to exchange the glass.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Considering a seat is already 18" above the floor, there is NO code. So please don't tell people there is just because YOU think it should be. It makes for a confusing mess on Houzz. Further, the code says that location IS NOT hazardous unless it meets ALL of those 4 conditions for a SINGLE PANEL of glass.
    Here is the 2006 IRC

    http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/irc/2006f2/icod_irc_2006f2_3_sec008.htm

    And here are the New Jersey amendments. Which don't add it as a hazardous location either.

    http://www.ecodes.biz/ecodes_support/Free_Resources/NewJersey/2009/09NJ_Residential/09NJResidential_main.html
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Its meaningless what the code book says, in NJ is about jurisdiction, and the building department can change some of the rules if they have a safety concerns. I've been faced with that a few times.
    With that said, the code is written to a minimum standard, being in business almost 30 years safety concern for my customers come first, not to mention I've seen to many accidents, even with code compliant situations.
    So as a Professional I just give a suggestion from experience, nobody needs to follow it and what you or anybody else do with it, that would be your business.
  • 12 years ago
    The code is based on research and fact. Your opinion is not. The objection is that you called something that doesn't exist a code. There is an even bigger chance that a couple rowdy teenagers will run into any other window while roughhousing, so don't try to play that high and mighty card with me unless you can prove you put safety glass in ALL your windows. Unless you can produce this phantom code, I will consider you to be just wrong and don't know when to quit.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks guys for that helpful discussion. There have been some questionable statements made lately on this site concerning tempered glass. Very glad to have some clarification with an actual quoting of the code.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    As I said before, around here its about jurisdiction...If I have a customer who want to install a window seat I will make a call to a building department and ask... if its required in that municipality I will install... If they say no, I will still give a customer that option. Last window seat I did, the customer asked for it before I suggested.
    So to me really as I said before, your opinion or what the code book says don't matter, I do things the way things work around here.
    In addition, around here you have 50-300 home developments, on any given day when kids get together there is 5-6 kids just playing around, if you have this sort of seating and they playing around and God forbid someone hits that glass by accident or jumping around, somebody can hurt real badly... This is more of a piece of mind for a parent then worry what the code is.
    Now let me ask you something ( I know if you a contractor, I already know you wont offer that option to your client) But If you going to build a window seat in your house and you have a few little kids, and they have friends over all the time... would you consider doing a tempered glass whether its required per code or not?
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I build only custom homes. Everything under the sun is offered. There are no packages, or allowances. Everything is prices out down to the dollar based on the client's exact needs. What I would not do, is give them the false sense of security by promising them that it would only be the window seat window that they need to worry about. Chairs and benches naturally get pushed up against every other window in the house also. Just because they are not built in doesn't make them safer. In fact, it makes them less safe because the chair will tip over with them instead of helping to brace them. If they want safety glass, I suggest they do every window panel in the house under 60" off the floor.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I am a builder also, but I do have packages and allowances, maybe I'm not as big as big of a builder like you, but I have 60 homes under my belt ranging from 2,500-5,000 SF.
    I'm also a member of ICC and I have a building inspector certification, but this is not what this about.
    I know about everything can be pushed up against the glass and and you can slip walking down the stairs and break your neck, yet the stairs are code compliant.
    Cable railings are allowed also per code, and they do create ladder effect and I'm sure someone at one point or another got hurt... and that was debated on the floor, and they tried to change it, and they did for 10 minutes, then all kind of groups started to raise hell, etc, because everyone loves the look and I guess not enough people got hurt so it got amended...Yet in NJ quiet a few towns will not allow them, even that the code says OK.

    If we take cars that we drive every day, they all pass the industry standard safety inspection, and everybody drives them until something is going to fail more times then it should, and until enough people get hurt or die as a result of it, then they will make it a re-call. I can go on and on with this.
    I have seen a kid got hurt and got 18 stitches jumping on the window seat. How many more got hurt in this country I don't know... but having kids of my own, this one was enough for me to inform my customers that if they have kids, they should consider changing the glass. What they do from there its theirs business.
    Everyone can be a text book builder, everybody knows how to read and find things out if you want to skip something in the process, and big builders do this all the time around here if the code calls for something, and they do a 300 home development and the code calls for something that will run them $100 per unit, they rather spend 10k on lawyers to fight it to put 20k in the pocket, its being done all the time and there is nothing wrong with it if they can do that.
    Like I said before I am not a big builder, I been doing this almost 30 years and if I can improve something to make it better and safer, code or no code I will do the right thing by my client. Period.
    What you do, that is your business... Because the only thing this going back and fourth, is I'm suggesting to do something to make it better and safer and above of what building code calls for and you wasting your time trying to tell me it's not required. I know its not, and if you read my first post it was a suggestion...I didn't know this gonna explode into a Code Debate.
    As the code mandate goes which I mentioned, some municipalities in NJ require that and I'm sure if I go fight it, I will win... but why should I fight it, if this will make it better and safer and I hope my friend, being a custom home builder you would think outside the box once in a while when it comes to make something better and safer and I hope something not gonna bite you in the A$$ one day because you could of done something and you didn't... I would hate to see that happen to a good builder like you, not many of us left.
    Good luck and I hope we're done here.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    If you want to change something, don't tell people on here it is already code when it isn't. If you tell them why you think it should be, but isn't, then you will get more people behind you. Otherwise, everyone will just be assuming it already is code and nothing will change. Educated people want the facts, so they can decide for themselves. Telling them it is code when it isn't, doesn't persuade them to do it.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think I made it clear where I stand on the issue, and I will continue suggesting what I think is right and better based on my experience, not to mention my suggestions are not against Building code standard requirement, they're above the code standard and since we're on the issue... IMO that should be entered into the code, as a matter a fact, I will propose this to ICC the next meeting to make this into national code.
    With that said, If you got a problem with my suggestions don't read it, make your own suggestions based on your experiences... and yes, you're right people here are educated and they don't need you to make sense out of anything... They will get the point from this and what they should do and what not without any code book, its pretty much common sense here, not to mention this place is about suggestions based on experiences and not about code compliance debate... and you know something, everyone I know who is a carpenter, a builder or in remodeling business, all of them will suggest tempered glass around window seat area because we talked about this on many occasions.
    Now we're done with this.
  • 12 years ago
    OK Fred and GN, go to your separate sides. :-) I really appreciate both of your insights.

    So, tell me, which chairs, cushions, window treatments, and art you would suggest for my area?
  • 12 years ago
    two parsons chairs . Maybe some comfy pillows . Roman shades mounted higher than the trim.
  • 12 years ago
    rattan chairs and blinds would work to . Make sure the chairs are high back though
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    @leelee - the chandelier is a bit high and initially I wanted to purchase more chain to lower. However, when someone stands at the kitchen sink the view to outside (a wonderful lake view) is unobstructed. If I lower it, the chandelier would be right in the line of sight?
  • 12 years ago
    What about either one of these chairs?
  • 12 years ago
    I love the rattan chairs. They add so much warmth and texture.
    Lynda thanked Mark
  • 12 years ago
    That's a hard choice. Wonder if there's any sort of device that would allow you to raise and lower the light? At night you probably can't see the lake and that's really when you'd use the light.

    I like the idea of Roman shades for the windows but they might obstruct your view, too. As mentioned, you could hang them higher but wouldn't you want the whole window frame to show? If you don't need privacy then they look fine without curtains.
    Lynda thanked leelee
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Lynda, agree, don't obstruct a view for a design rule, especially when you've already weighed the options. :) This idea is probably goofy but what if you took two of the dining room chairs ( maybe the darker ones for practicality) and used those for the nook; and bought two chairs for the dr table so they match around the more formal space? I also really like stuntchick's suggestion of rattan chairs and blinds. Think that would be darling.
    Lynda thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    OK. I put the darker chairs at the table. What do you think? Close up and how they would look when you walk in.
    Are they too big looking? The darker chairs are actually arm chairs (since they were originally supposed to be at head of a rectangle table) and they are the same fabric/color as couch :-( I definitely made some mistakes purchasing some of this furniture, but I can't return at this point and want to make what I have work. Either way, I know I need to buy 2 more chairs... either 2 for nook or formal dining?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Sorry about the BS Lynda...
    As your window goes, one of my customers had Tier on Tier shutters installed in the nook area and they looked fantastic on there and would flow nice with your setting.
    The top section can be open allowing light to come in, and the lower section you can have closed for privacy if needed. The seating is always nice to have something with a cushion, it definitely beats 10 minute chairs :-)
    Good luck
    Lynda thanked GN Builders L.L.C
  • 12 years ago
    Lynda, can you try the two lighter chairs and take the same photos?
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I would buy two new chairs ( rattan ) for the nook. If you use the ones from the dining room you will have that same fabric in the livingroom and the nook, the rattan would be a nice change from all that fabric. Plus what other chairs will you find that will blend as well in the dining room as those chairs.
    Lynda thanked Mark
  • 12 years ago
    Here they are...
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Hi Mark, I was assuming Lynda could get two Pottery Barn chairs that would match. What do you think, Lynda? I' m in the minimalist group. So, I like the idea of using the same chairs in an open concept space, especially if you're going to add more color/pattern with a cushion and pillows. I don't think that's unimaginative; your home is gorgeous and has a lot of visual interest already. I am kind of liking the lighter chairs with the bench color and am not crazy about sx different chairs in one open space, but that's me. Here I go being really minimalist. Do you need chairs at the nook? :)
    Lynda thanked User
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I agree with Mark, you don't want anything with fabric in the dinette area, something simple easy to clean and maintain, especially if you have grand-kids visiting one day... not to mention they will offer glazing protection LOL.
    Here is an image I found of the shutters to give you an idea, and whats good about them, you can match the outside color to go with the exterior facade trim, which in most cases white and inside you can make it flow with anything.i.e woodwork, trim,etc...
    The best part is when open or closed the color will work either way.
    Lynda thanked GN Builders L.L.C
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I forgot to add an image... here it is
    Lynda thanked GN Builders L.L.C
  • 12 years ago
    I kind of like the lighter chairs, but then I don't know how it would look with 4 of the same darker chairs for the dining room (since all would be the same color as the couch). ciscomom - does the 2 different chair styles at the round table not look good to you?

    If I went with the lighter PB chairs in the nook, would I buy the same arm chairs for dining, or stick with just the side chair? So... I would have 4 chairs all the same color (and the same color as the couch), but 2 would be arm and 2 side - or all 4 arm?
    Hmmm. Just leads to another design dilemma :-)
    I also am a bit of a minimalistic, so don't want a ton of different styles/textures? But, I do really like the rattan chairs. Maybe I should buy the 2 PB rattan chairs and try those??
  • 12 years ago
    The rattan chairs would look great. I love the texture.
    Lynda thanked jen046
  • 12 years ago
    I think you should definitely try the rattan chairs. I really need to see things in a space to know and seeing the dining room chairs, I think they would work but I do think the rattan would be darling! I am thinking the six different chairs is a non-issue. The dining room chairs echo the couch and reflect your general palette beautifully. They don't "stick out" in any ,kind of a clashy way. So, pretend I didn't say that. :)
    Lynda thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    jen046, our posts crossed: agree! Lynda, last post about dining room chairs came off too negative. I think your dining room chairs are lovely and work well together.
    Lynda thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    Try the rattan chairs!! They will look great and more texture is always a good thing!
    Lynda thanked Janet Woods
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    OK. Sounds like rattan is the way to go? I will go ahead and order them. No delivery surcharge today. Yay.
    So, now I have the chairs... what do you all think for the windows? Suggestions have been white plantation shutters, natural woven shades (my pic from above), patterned fabric roman shades, wood shades color of table, or nothing?
    There is no issues with privacy as this is on the upper floor overlooking a large lake - and no neighbors.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    If you just need the window treatments for looks, not privacy, then I would suggest going with plantation shutters. Those will play so nicely with the built in. Plus you can just get them over the bottom half of the windows so you still allow light to come in while amping up the style of the space. If you want to add color and pattern, flat front roman shades would be a great addition. Although we don't offer them as an option for the configurator on our site, we do provide custom orders for roman shades if you want to play around with our fabrics online and create a look like that you like. Below are a few fabrics I think would work swimmingly for romans in the room. Hope this helps! Happy Decorating!

    Design It Yourself Decor | loomdecor.com | blair@loomdecor.com

    Awash in the Park: Marine · More Info

    On the Bright Side : Chalk Blue · More Info


    Sultan Pepper : Sapphire · More Info
    Lynda thanked Loom Decor
  • 12 years ago
    Since you do not need anything for privacy, but do need something to warm up the space, here is my suggestions: windows could use fixed side panels with a geometric pattern with cushions of a neutral tone with contrasting piping. I would look for a clean line, lower backed chairs in off white leather. Great artwork with color on the wall and a simple centerpiece that you don't always have to remove when you sit down. Place mats would be fun. Enjoy your banquet, wish I had a space to build one into my mid century home.
  • 12 years ago
    So, the PB rattan chairs were delivered today (had a long wait). What do you think? I just realized I still haven't changed out the filler in the candle holders - ugh lol.
  • 12 years ago
    Are you planning cushions for the built-in bench? Seems a bit too chunky and plain for the slender table and rattan chairs.
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, I am planning cushions - I think? I have someone coming in a few weeks that will hopefully be able to help me pick something that will work. I also need different pillows - these were just ones that I threw there from my couch.
  • 12 years ago
    I do like the texture in the chairs. It seems I have so many different woods and fabrics (in the other dining room) that it made it really diffcult finding some chairs. I had some family members suggest a wood bench - but, again, I couldn't decide on what stain wood.
  • 12 years ago
    Mark, what do you think? Your encouragement was part of the reason I bought these chairs. ;-)
  • 12 years ago
    Love your home! Wish I could keep my place looking like yours.
  • 12 years ago
    Jen0406, ciscomom, and Janet - hope you all can give me your opinion, too? I appreciated your earlier comments.
  • 12 years ago
    @Lynda I think the chairs are perfect. I'm so pleased that you went with the rattan chairs. I love how they look with the table much better than an upholstered chair. Once you get some cushions on the wood seating it will soften all the wood. I look forward to seeing how it looks when it's all finished.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks Mark. Yay!
  • 12 years ago
    Love the chairs - perfect!
  • 10 years ago

    take a pic of your finished nook. i am in the middle of doing one now and would like some ideas thanks