Software
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

Organizing Utensils

12 years ago
How do you organize your utensils? Do you have a utensil drawer with a tray? Some other method? Mine, while mostly organized, always looks messy to me.

Share your tips! (photos encouraged)

Traditional · More Info

Comments (14)

  • 12 years ago
    Get rid of all the seldom used kitchen gadgets. We recently had a kitchen clean out and got rid of over half of the contents of the utensil drawers as they had either never or only seldom been used. I would have gotten rid of even more but my wife intervened.

    We also put the most commonly used utensils into an attractive utensil tin on the bench top. This puts the items we most often use within easy reach while keeping the less commonly used ones out of sight. If you have wall space then hooks are great for hanging commonly used utensils.

    Consider getting rid of unattractive or non-matching utensils and replace them with more attractive alternatives. Get rid of the non-matching knives/forks/spoons from your cutlery drawer.
    Emily Hurley thanked Graeme Taylor
  • 12 years ago
    Ceramic crocks on the windowsill ... roughly sorted by size and function. I don't want to have to open a drawer to find something to cook with. I can grab a spatula.

    A few things are in drawers if they don't fit in a crock or are used infrequently
    Emily Hurley thanked tsudhonimh
  • 12 years ago
    I hang some of the most used ones near where they get used (i.e. near the stove). Easy to see and grab what I want when I need it. Ones I use, but less often are in a crock on the counter. Those that are used for serving rather than cooking go with my cutlery. Knives I keep in either a block or one of those drawer things with slots to protect the edges and my fingers. Some seasonal items (strawberry hullers, the big machete like knife for watermelons, etc.) get put away till needed in places such as picnic baskets that come out at that time of year. I wish I had one of the attractive things to hang my measuring cups and spoons the way my mother always has, but the ones I own didn't come with a hanger and none I've ever found had either the right number of hooks or they weren't the right distance apart. Some rarely used items are used decoratively - the copper jello molds or some fancy cookie cutters/cookie stamps. (photos not mine...)
    Emily Hurley thanked Jessica Mack
  • 12 years ago
    I've got a wooden tray in my drawer, but I think it just gets clutter with things that don't belong IN any of the slots ending up in the rest of the drawer. Really have to do a purge in there.
  • 12 years ago
    One thing's for sure, whoever designed that lovely drawer insert NEVER COOKS, nor puts away the cutlery after it's washed.
  • 12 years ago
    I'm a disaster, new kitchen remodel and I bought wire utensil racks so this scoot out the ends, Also I keep too much in my drawer, I live almost alone (grown teens) and I keep a service for 24 in the drawer. Epiphany. Store some away.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Mine always looks just like the picture.




    Ha!!
  • 12 years ago
    Double Haha
  • 12 years ago
    I'm going to make 1 single box into which all the utensils from the dishwasher can be dumped into at once. That will save a lot of time.
  • 12 years ago
    I keep kosher and so have 2 sets of everything: dishes, utensils, cookware. One side the kitchen is meat and the other is "parve" (not meat or dairy) and dairy. I have to be very organized. Even the plastic containers are divided. So, when I bought my new apartment, I diagrammed a plan for each drawer and shelf. Any extras dishes and utensils are organized in storage room. Beside the stove, I have two attractive (to me, anyway) handmade, ceramics pitchers. One holds cooking utensils for meat and the other, non-meat.
  • 12 years ago
    Forgot to mention, silverware drawers have those ripply thingys so I can keep spice shakers in there too.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Custom built-ins and inserts for each type of storage keeps things organized!

  • 9 years ago
    We had a custom cabinet made
Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert