Software
Houzz Logo Print
toomanywhitewalls

Master bedroom

12 years ago
Lots to do in here. We plan to upgrade to a king bed so will need a new headboard and footboard. Since the set is no longer available we were thinking about getting a fabric headboard. plus we need new bedding. Paint and some curtains are also needed. We also have a sitting room off the master bedroom with brown leather furniture.

Comments (221)

  • 12 years ago
    Oh, that is really too bad! Thank goodness your wall co,or is neutral enough that you won't have to work around it too much. Still.......yes, I would be pi@@ed too!

    Do you want me to post some ideas, or should I leave it to you? Don't want to complicate things, so just let me know.
  • 12 years ago
    My life is pretty complicated already....I don't have one room in my house completely done yet. Hoping to finish up at least one or two of them in the next few days.

    I measured the bed and it is about 14.5in high plus the 76in standard width of a king so the comforter, duvet, quilt whatever it is will need to be at least 105in just to cover the mattress. I found a gorgoeus one on Horchow this morning but the price is outrageous!!!
  • 12 years ago
    Have a look on overstock. You might find the prices more reasonable. Here in Canada, I start watching for the 20% off coupon from either Bed Bath & Beyond or Home Outfitters, if I'm in the market for something I think I could find there.

    Also, West Elm bedding prices aren't too bad, and Urban Outfitters is very reasonable - and both are known for modern, youthful looks (which I'm sure you already know!)

    The trick will be to find something with generous sizing, and these more budget-minded duvet covers will probably be a skimpy that way.

    Oh, and check Ikea - you never know. You could just find something that will get you through five or six years, and plan to get higher quality bedding down the road.

    But, that really sucks about the one you already have not fitting!
  • 12 years ago
    Luckily the colors are neutral enough I should have an easy time finding a design but the size will be an issue.
  • 12 years ago
    Our mattress is now on the floor so I am going to start looking for a headboard and new bedding to go in here.
  • 12 years ago
    Do you want help?:))
  • 12 years ago
    If you are up for the challenge sure. Hubby gave me a limited budget for decorating right now. Since I have lots of projects to do, I am going to buy the bed and the bedding and hold off on the rest of the room for a bit. With the money he gave me I would like to do that and get curtains for the family room. The more I can save with quality stuff, the more I can buy.
  • 12 years ago
    How do you feel about this set from Pier One? Your wall color is so neutral, I imagine almost anything could work.
  • 12 years ago
    Another possibility - from West Elm. And it's on sale right now.
  • 12 years ago
    The one from pier one is nice. I don't really care for the West Elm one. I need to get an oversized one as well since the mattress is higher. I believe the mattress itself comes in at 105in. So the cover will need to be at least that size to cover it. Longer if I want some overhang which I do.

    My initial research found some at PB and RH were longer as well as Company Store.
  • 12 years ago
    Just found this one on PB that is really pretty but not really big enough.
    http://www.potterybarn.com/products/blythe-paisley-organic-sateen-duvet-cover-sham/?pkey=cduvet-covers-shams&cm_src=duvet-covers-shams||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
  • 12 years ago
    I actually love just about every duvet on the RH site with the exception of the white ones with the borders. The duvets aren't quite big enough so I would need a coverlet or a quilt from them and then you lose the pretty patterns.

    Is the coverlet supposed to go over the duvet? I don't really understand all that.
  • 12 years ago
    Hi toomany, I wonder if the size you are looking for is the California King? I have a friend on Houzz who has a Cali King bed - I will check with her and find out where the best online sources are for the larger size.

    Those coverlets can be used over the duvet for a layered look. You would probably have a duvet that is plain - something you don't mind being mostly hidden. Then, your coverlet would be a coordinating color, and your shams might be a pattern. So, it is a complex look and a lot of fun. We could explore that idea if you want.

    The other way to use a coverlet is to just keep it folded at the foot of the bed, and use it when you need to. Again, it just adds that extra layer of interest.
  • 12 years ago
    California King is actually not as wide as a regular king so I don’t think that will solve my problem. All this bedding stuff is so complicated. I should pick the bedding before I find a headboard that I like or vice versa? Also I went back to the beginning of the thread before I found that bedding I had and liked the blue direction you were headed in. Do you think a bluish color will still work with the grayish ceiling? Gray is supposed to be the new neutral so I am guessing yes.
  • 12 years ago
    ;-)
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I ordered a whole lot of swatches from duvets on the RH site last night. The duvet will still be a bit short though. I will have to measure my current duvet to get an idea on the length.

    Another thing to add is that West Elm is having a great sale so depending on the size of their duvets when I measure tonight, I might go ahead with one of them.
  • 12 years ago
    Well, I sure like that West Elm duvet you just posted. And, yes, it will look fantastic with your wall color. My favourite gray combo is actual Gray with caramel, and your wall color at times reads as caramel.

    Are you sure the RH duvets will end up being short? I can't believe any of these big names are producing king duvets that are either too narrow or too short. Most people have the deeper mattresses these days. Kind of crazy that the bedding people aren't keeping up!

    I am thinking maybe they are assuming the duvet would just cover the top of the bed, with very little overlap, and you would have a blanket underneath that is wide enough to cover the boxspring.

    Also, I did get to thinking about your hubby's request for the one piece bed frame. I believe this type of bed does not allow for a boxspring. You would only use the mattress. And I recall reading an article about this a year or so ago, and apparently the beds aren't as comfy this way. So, if you have the boxspring already, I think you would be looking for a headboard and footboard that are joined with the metal rails - not the one-piece type.
  • 12 years ago
    Toomany, I just checked to see how wide a King is and they are 76". So, I think you are good with any of these duvets that are measuring 105" or thereabouts. That gives you about 15" overhang on each side.
  • 12 years ago
    Omigosh, Just had a look at the Ogee print duvets at West Elm and, yes, they are on sale cheap!

    You could go with the grey (Platinum) of the blue-grey (Blue Sage) - either one would look good with your wall color. The Blue Sage looks a little livelier, but the Platinum color lends itself to using lots of texture in greys and browns.

    Between the two, I would say that the bluer one will be a little more cheery, and the grey one more calming, and possibly a bit moody.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Very productive lunch today. I bought new bedding and a few pillows. I need a lesson on how to decorate a king size bed. Three euros? Two squares? Rectangle? I bought a few different ones because the set I bought was on clearance.

    Here is the link for it at Macy's. I paid nowhere near that price though. It is much prettier in person. I will have to take a picture of the actual duvet.
    http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/barbara-barry-sanctuary-scroll-collection?ID=757330
  • 12 years ago
    Here is a close up picture of the one decorative pillow they had left. It has a hint of bluish green in it. I also bought about 10 different pillows to try out.
  • 12 years ago
    And because I couldn't decide in pillows. Here are two euro shams on the end. One pillow cover for a 20x20 in the middle
  • 12 years ago
    Hit submit too fast. Close ups
  • 12 years ago
    Also found these pillows at Ross super cheap. Not sure if they will work but I liked the added texture

    It's getting exciting now karemore!!
  • 12 years ago
    Omigosh, toomany - you hit the jackpot! Yes, all of it - beautiful! I especially love the pillows you found at Ross, how they liven up the total look just a bit. They make the rest of the bedding look even better by way of a little contrast.

    Now, to narrow down - as I'm sure you don't plan to keep all 20 pieces! OK, I have a queen, so will have to tweak. But what I do when I make the bed is prop up my sleeping pillows at the back, against the headboard. Then I do two euro shams in front - also propped up. I'm guessing for a King, you might need three?

    Then in front of my two, I have one long lumbar pillow. But if you do three Euros, you might want to do two rectangles in front of them, and then just one more in a contrasting color or pattern in front of them.

    I should mention that my favourite way to make the bed is to fold back the duvet and sheets - all of it - TWICE, so that it is rolled back quite Dar down the bed - about 1/3 of the way, I'm guessing. Then I do the pillow arrangement. I love how, at bedtime, it feels like the bed is already turned back, just waiting for me to crawl in. All I have to do is get rid of the decorative stuff.

    I should mention that I find the Euros quite functional. I often sit up in bed reading or dog g a crossword, so I keep the Euro propped up to lean back on.
  • 12 years ago
    So, can you do three Euros - the grey puffy things? Then, two of the dark grey - I assume those are rectangles? Then one of the brighter blue pillows from Ross? And put the other brighter blue Ross pillow on your arm chair?
  • 12 years ago
    OK, just re-read, and I see the dark grey cover is for a 20x20", correct? Do you have two of those? If not, maybe do the two brighter blue in front of the Euros, and the dark grey 20X20 at the very front?
  • 12 years ago
    And the one decorative pillow - the one that is the same as the duvet pattern - that could get returned. It will look too matchy if you use it.
  • 12 years ago
    For even more texture, you could add this little cutie from Pier One to the very front of the arrangement.
  • 12 years ago
    The first one is a really light blue. It is actually called lagoon. Lighting is def throwing it off. I have three of those they are euros. The second euros are really light greenish blue. I think they are just blah though. Third one is another blue one. That is the twenty by twenty.
  • 12 years ago
    The ross pillow which I also have two of is def blue also. I selfishly picked up the matchy pillow so I could use that to take to other stores for matching things. Lol!!
  • 12 years ago
    They are all coming across on the monitor as pretty grayish but they are actually that bluish color that we were going for. The one from ross def has more blue to it. Which makes the first shiny euro look more gray.

    I got so lucky with the duvet cover. It measures in at 110 so it will def cover the mattress plus it was on clearance and I had a coupon. I paid a whole $74 for it. The shams were pricier because I had to get them from a non clearance set. Two pillows from Ross $20. Love shopping like this!!!
  • 12 years ago
    So, you could maybe do three lagoon Euros in the back, the two Ross pillows in front of them, and the 20X20 in front? And return the blah ones. I assume you will need three Euros across the back to fill it all in?

    And great idea to hang onto that little pillow!

    Any luck if do g the bed frame?

    Oh, and I am picturing grey velvet curtains with this bedding set. How does that sound to you? West Elm carries them, as well as overstock. Also PB. And probably others.
  • 12 years ago
    That should have read, "any luck finding the bed frame" lol
  • 12 years ago
    I know what you mean about finding something you love, AND at bargain prices.

    I actually try to buy the best quality I can afford BUT only on sale. And Barbara Berry bedding should be good quality. Not sure if you know who she is. She is an American designer who has made a great reputation for herself. Her decorating style is soft and a little on the feminine side, so I don't usually gravitate toward her look, but I do love that bedding!

    A bedroom should be a mix of 50/50 masculine and feminine, so hubby and wife are both represented - equality of the sexes! So, the furniture usually leans toward masculine, and in your room you also have the brown leather furniture. So, a little softness in the bedding will create a beautiful contrast. Satin and leather. Pale blue and brown. Love it!
  • 12 years ago
    And I especially love the Ross pillows. What great texture!
  • 12 years ago
    I have no idea who Barbara Berry is. She just happened to have a nice duvet in the clearance section so I jumped on it. It was really speaking to me in the store. Similar to some others we were looking at earlier. Bonus points for the hubby coming home and liking it as well :-) Oh and I actually went to the store to look for red bath rugs for the boys bathroom. No luck there but at least I scored big with the bedding.

    No luck with a bed frame yet. Now that I have the bedding I can really pin down what type of fabric I want. I also have been thinking about your comment regarding the box springs. Since we did purchase the box spring I need to find one to work with them as well.
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, I think you will be looking for a headboard and footboard that are held together with metal frames then. Which means you will need a bedskirt lol.

    Not sure which would be your best accent color for the bedskirt, but I am thinking a caramel or taupe?
  • 12 years ago
    A bedskirt shouldn't be to hard. Yes a caramel color will be best. Let me go poke around on a few sites to see what I can find as far as a bedframe.
  • 12 years ago
    Toomany, It looks like the requirement for a boxspring depends on the particular bed you choose.

    Below are two examples from Pottery Barn. The first, the Raleigh (which also comes with a square rather than camelback headboard) requires a boxspring because of the way the slats are designed.

    The second, the Lorraine tufted headboard and frame, says that the boxspring is optional.

    So, you may be able to get that "whole bed" look you are wanting after all - with no bedskirt!
  • 12 years ago
    A PB bed might bust my budget.
  • 12 years ago
    I do think we are going for the Raleigh bed look. I will have to go to a storebto check them out. Too many fabric choices.
  • 12 years ago
    You probably know all the furniture stores that would carry that style of bed. It's a popular look, so you wouldn't necessarily need to go to PB or RH.

    More shopping - hope you will be as lucky as you were today. Maybe you're on a roll!
  • 12 years ago
    Oh, and I should mention the prices you saw on the pics I posted were in Cdn. $$. They will be less in the US, for sure.
  • 12 years ago
    I have taken a much needed break from decorating the house. I am getting back on the crazy train now.

    For the bed. We are probably going to go with a customizable headboard and footboard. What color and kind of fabric should I go with?

    Also now the room is painted I was thinking about starting a new thread to get some other input.

    Hope you are having a great visit with your family!
  • 12 years ago
    Hi toomany, Stealing a few minutes of Houzz time here - I am picturing a micro suede headboard/footboard in a camel color being the perfect foil for your visually light bedding. Something with a hint of gold in it will work best with your walls, and will be a nice, warm color to balance the cool blues/greys.

    Yes, starting another thread is a good idea. You will get fresh ideas and other points of view, which will help you with your decisions.

    Good luck finding that headboard!
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks karemore! I just started another thread with some better pictures taken with an actual camera. Come on over and join the torture! ;-)

    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/finishing-up-the-master-dsvw-vd~944216
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi toomany I think you should be carefull by deciding about the colors of furnitures... ;) by the way I read your ideas, I liked... ;)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    amazing interior designer ideas! Suggest hiring one of them and giving them a long leash so that you'll get the best they have to offer. As an architect, I know my strengths and interior design isn't one of them - get people who specialize in what they do best. If I were given this assignment, I'd be looking at what options you have to change the geometry of the space, the ceilings, the lighting first. I'd work side by side with an interior designer and you'd be delighted with the results of such collaboration.