Ideas for remodeling Master Bathroom and Master Closet.
Gamal Mustafa
I am looking for ideas on how to remodel my master bath and Master Closet. I have have removed the internal wall from this picture to better visualize the space available, but have left the fixture to give you an idea where the water pipes are. I don’t mind rearranging the fixture, so any kind of suggestion will be apreciated. The closet should be big enough for a couple.
LeMaster Architects
You could move the bathtub into the alcove next to the other bathroom. The sink could move to the wall where the tub is now. The space between the bathroom and bedroom could become a walkthrough closet area. See image.
February 25, 2013 at 10:13am   
Gamal Mustafa
I don’t seem to be able to attach a new picture, but I changed the closet a little bit to maximize storage by moving the door to one of the side of the wall, but I am not sure about a bath that is 12x5 how it would look.
February 25, 2013 at 9:30pm   
Here is a reverse idea of LeMaster Architects' suggestion.
February 26, 2013 at 8:57am     
LeMaster Architects
Dytecture's idea is good too. I was trying to save the toilet location... I always hate moving those.
February 26, 2013 at 1:19pm     
Gamal Mustafa
Would you add doors or leace it open?
February 27, 2013 at 4:38am   
The Warehouse Graphic Design & Original Art
In my opinion, Add doors. One of you has to be messy and the other doesn't want to see it upon waking up. Speaking from experience :-) I also Love Dytecture's solution.
February 27, 2013 at 4:54am     
Gamal Mustafa
I am considering these two options and using pocket doors to separate each room, but I am not sure which one option will feel more like a "master bathroom” and give me the better closet.
February 27, 2013 at 10:02pm     
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
you are not going to get a wrap around row of closet space as seen in left plan. Definitely the U shape & perhaps a shallow shelf or shoe rack on section backing on the toilet. Keep in mind most closet rod space are about 21-24 deep. you can increase your hanging space by doing double rods & extra shelves around it. you'd have at least 18' hanging space if only single rods if they can go in front of the windows. That's pretty good.

I wonder if you are going to be comfortable walking thru bath to closet for clothing especially if someone has the bath "in use". That is personal & only you can answer that question. The bath in left layout is simple & functional But sinks under window may be challenging for general grooming. Is the window high? low? Carefully consider.

Right plan. consider window placement in baths again... will they interfere with grooming activites. perhaps put vanity on short end wall opposite tub, then bidet & toilet over by tub... Definite for pocket door into the bath for privacy. This layout seems more private for bathing etc -quieter from bedroom as spaced and doesn't interfere with someone dressing if they are on way to work earlier.

The closet storage again may be hampered by windows. net out about 15 feet. Again, you'll be unlikely to return around the corners with any significant storage, but some narrow shelves could be useful for shoes & sweaters. Again take into consideration the 21-24" depth of hanging area.
February 27, 2013 at 11:39pm     
Gamal Mustafa
Something Like this?
February 28, 2013 at 8:55pm     
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
yes Gamal, that should work better. Gives you a wall for mirrors over your sinks & a spacer between flushing toilets & your sleeping area.
I hope it works out for you
e.
February 28, 2013 at 11:18pm     
Tara Imani Designs, LLC
I like the iterations you've gone thru with the help of Urbana, LeMaster, and Dytecture. I just want to point out that your new walk-thru closet is really only twice the size of your current closet and that you won't be able to create a u-shape usage in the two areas because the depth is only 3'-0" on both sides.

To fix this, one other iteration would be to consider creating a smaller entrance into and out of the walk-thru closet-- closer to the sink side. Then, you could create a built-in casework with shelves, drawers with one side being shorter to fit underneath the existing window-- and therefore take advantage of the window/natural light rather than covering it up with clothes. This would allow for a u-shape layout for your closet space on the other side.

The only downside to this option is both you and your wife will be getting your clothes from the same side of the closet. Of course, there are creative ways you can demarcate the closet to be "His" and "Hers" instead of what's mine is yours (she'll probably ask you to move your clothes to the guest closet- kidding! (or, on a seroius note, you could store off-season clothes in another closet if one is available.

I love the new bathroom arrangement! Are you going to keep the existing closet that's in the Master Bedroom? I was thinking that would be a great spot for a library set of shelving and desk combo.

Would love your thoughts on my suggestions.

Thanks for sharing your design dilemma!

Good luck and have fun with your new arrangement : )
February 28, 2013 at 11:37pm     
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
Yes, I'd suggest have a closet expert look at your wall space & your particular storage & hanging needs. While we can make suggestions, it is important to work with the person that will make it all happen for you
February 28, 2013 at 11:48pm     
Gamal Mustafa
Thanks for all the great comments and suggestion. We can always make the pocket doors the minimum size of 28 inches that should give us some space. And maybe have a walking closet for her and a smaller closet for him in the same area. The idea was to remove the other closet in the bedroom if this new closet can get big enough, otherwise we will end up with a bigger walking closet for her and a separate closet for him ;-) (Still better than been in the guess room ;-)) I am trying to visualize what you are saying and also come up with another options. Now, even thou I can draw it is hard for me to really understand how is going to feel in real live. The bathroom to the left side of the closet feels to me like a long hall, but I have really no references to know, perhaps because in my mind square feels roomier than rectangles.

Anyway, here are two other options, plus a 3D to view how big are the windows
March 1, 2013 at 5:44am     
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
those are great ideas & improve the closet areas. Sight lines are improved. Well done
March 3, 2013 at 6:17pm     
Tara Imani
Hi Gamal,
I can understand your concern about the bathroom feeling like a long hall. Perhaps it would help if you do a 3-D view of the new bathroom layouts, too?

I can see that the bathroom layout does not provide much countertop space around the sinks, so this might be a concern. If I have time, I might draw up a few sketches to see what other ways the space can be rearranged.

Here's a new idea: if you do decide to keep the existing closet in the Master Bedroom, you could then create a gorgeous open countertop/ dressing area/ vanity.. This would make the bathroom feel bigger, too. Also, you can move the closet wall that divides the bathroom and the closet to the right, increasing the width of the bathroom.

The only other solution would be to build an addition, creating the Master Bedroom/ Bathroom Suite of your dreams. If you're planning to stay in the house for at least another 5 years, this could be a good option. Always get a comp from your real estate agent to make sure you don't over-develop for the neighborhood and price out of the market.

Thanks,
Tara
March 3, 2013 at 7:03pm   
Gamal Mustafa
The House has 4 rooms, but I only really use 2. I was thinking that I could take some of the space of the room next to the master that is 12x12 and make it a 12x10. Also making the linen closet only 1 foot deep instead of 2, that should give some room to switch thing around. (Here is a before and after)
March 3, 2013 at 7:56pm     
Tara Imani
Hi Gamal, the new layout looks very good. You now have a huge closet and you've resolved the bathrooms for both rooms. In the Master Bath, I note that you still don't have a lot of room for a countertop around your sinks. For me, I prefer a bigger countertop for getting ready; most women need extra space to dry and style their hair and put on make-up. Also, do you need a separate shower and tub in the Master Bath? Many people end up not using their tubs. Or, to save plumbing and create a larger space, you could combine the shower and tub. To create more countertop space, you can move the wall of the closet to align with the wall of the water closet. I guess you need to decide which space you prefer to be larger. The Master Closet is now big enough to add custom cabinetry and a nice marble or granite top counter. One last point: make sure there is enough room to hang a mirror under the existing glass block window above the new sink locations.
March 4, 2013 at 7:12pm   
Gamal Mustafa
I see your point thou the sink will not be as big as in the picture. That area is 5 feet. Still I am not sure if I want sacrifice a 12x12 room to gain 4 lineal feet of closet and still the bathroom kind of feel weird.
I think I want to revisit the walk-thru closet to the bath, where the door was to the south of the room. What do you think?
March 5, 2013 at 9:17am   
Tara Imani
Yes, I liked your former arrangement best-- with the walk thru closet and the pocket doors to the south, assuming the North arrow (if shown) would be pointing upward on the page.
March 5, 2013 at 9:57am     
Gamal Mustafa
Now... How about clearance? Could something like this work? Check the entrance and the sink
March 5, 2013 at 8:46pm   
Tara Imani Designs, LLC
Well, none of these schemes work, especially if they are to be designed for persons with disabilities or "aging in place"- as we refer to it in the architecture/engineering/construction industry. As elder persons are now opting to stay in their own homes longer rather than moving into an assisted living center, oftentimes, their homes need to be renovated to accomodate their needs. These factors might be something to consider for your home's resale value, etc.

Regarding the latest rendition shown above, it is too tight and will not function. For example, according to one of my resource books (Architectural Graphic Standards for Residential Construction, John Wiley & Sons publisher, c. 2003-- see pages 24-25; 26; 28; 343-345) for side entry into your sink area, 4'-8" is considered standard for persons with disabilities-- and these are not generous/overly done square footage recommendations; it is the bare minimum.

Now, let's talk about the closet. Earlier today, I complimented your closet, but it was bigger and I was using my iPad and could not see the actual dimension call-outs. Now that I'm on my computer, I can see that the width of the closet is only 5'-4". If each rod requires minimum of 24"-27" of hanging space for clothing, that leaves only 64"- (2(24"))= 16" of space for an aisle. That is entirely too small. You need at least 3'-0" of width for a space to feel comfortable, preferably more like 4'-0" to 6'-0" would be more appropriate for a closet aisle.

I think you might be trying to fit too many features into too tight of a space. Either move the exterior West wall of the closet or return to your earlier designs-- the one with the U-shaped closet. In fact, I think we'd better check those dimensions, too, for optimum spaciousness and proper clearances.

Now, back to your sink area and pocket doors: the door openings are too small to meet standard buiding codes as well. The minimum door width allowed is 2'-10" (you've shown your door openings at 2-3"-- 7" too small). For ADAAG standards to be met, a minimum clear opening (between door frame to inside frame) is 32" (2'-8" clear opening).

I suggest you hire a someone in your area that understands these codes and will guide you in your remodel. Either a licensed architect or a licensed interior designer (NCIDQ certifiied only) will be able to assist you properly.

Having said that, I am willing to look at one more iteration and comment. Please be aware that you are acting as your own designer/contractor and you bear sole responsibility for your outcome.
March 5, 2013 at 9:36pm   
Gamal Mustafa
I see your point. Thanks!... I will go back to teh drawing board ;-)
March 6, 2013 at 4:42pm     
Gamal Mustafa
Ok, I have the original layout. A layout of the new space and two new designs. One with the maximum amount of closet and one with and attempt of adding a decent size closet that can be call a master closet and a bathroom fancy enough that can be called a master bath. I consider the recommended distances and added a bigger countertop for getting ready in the morning. At this point I am also trying to consider what would give me a better “wow factor” that could be a better selling point in case I need to sell the house. A Huge Closet or a Bigger Bath. I can always leave the closet I have inside the room if I need more storage space. So, what do you think?
March 7, 2013 at 8:53pm   
Gamal Mustafa
3 of the designs are more practical, since it would allow me to use the existing plumbing. Any suggestion on the designs? I tried to add measurement this time to better explain the space, still I cannot see if they would work out on real life, specially the first one.
March 8, 2013 at 10:43pm   
I need help with remodel of the master bedroom, closet and bathroom.
I have a large master bedroom but the closet is too...
need ideas for a french country master bathroom remodel.
We have a large walk in shower. Need to have ideas...
Need ideas for remodeling a master bathroom
I am remodeling my master bathroom. The tile in the...
Want to remodel my master bath and re do the master closet
We never use the tub and wish to enlarge the shower...
Lordy Lordy, Margo's -
Actually, I don't know how old Margo is, but I do know...
need help with painting open floor plane rooms
I have an open floor plan home that gets a lot of light....
Fireplace brickwork -- what to do?
I am wondering whether this fireplace is too oldfashioned...
Basement on a budget
This is the finished part of our basement (straight...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...