Software
Houzz Logo Print
harriet_gilmer

1960's Budget Kitchen Remodel....using existing cabinets

12 years ago
last modified: 12 years ago
We recently completed our remodel utilizing our existing cabinetry as the base. Contractor added strips to change look to shaker/mission. Very pleased with the end result. Used the new Benjamin Moore water-based oil paints, Giallo Napoli granite from Lowes, Kohler sink from Home Depot, hardware from Lowes and online, Kraus Faucet online, Adura vinyl (yes, vinyl!) tile on diagonal with vinyl grout (does NOT stain!) and new can lights. Very pleased with our end result and costs. Hope this can inspire someone else! Whoops..not final photo!

Comments (18)

  • 12 years ago
    trying to get other images to attach!
  • 12 years ago
    completed with stainless cooktop backsplash and counter backsplash!
  • 12 years ago
    Very nice updates!
    Harriet Gilmer thanked an2114
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Thank you Ambernoble! I "designed" it all myself. Including the strip add-ons to the cabinetry.
  • 10 years ago

    What did you use for the strip add-ons? I want to do something similar for mine.

    Harriet Gilmer thanked Angela York
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Looks nice, love the flooring.

    Harriet Gilmer thanked Addition Building & Design, Inc.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Angela York, these were poplar strips I found at Lowes, they came in different lengths. the horizontal ones on the drawers were trimmed to give a better look proportionally. Tried to take a photo of a barcode on an old strip, but can't get it to upload. the barcode reads 724237750322 1/2x3x2 Poplar TQM. we used several different lengths. I think they were around $2.75 ea at the time. We had to shorten a cabinet near the stove and installed a stainless steel sheet on each wall of the cooktop to satisfy the gas company. We replaced an electric cooktop. Still pleased with it all 3 years later. The Benj Moore water based oil has held up great! Be glad to share any other info...just ask. Good luck!

  • 10 years ago

    Addition Building & Design, Inc. Thank you, we have been very happy with the vinyl tile and grout. Had about 3 years now and it looks brand new. Easy upkeep and we didn't want to have to deal with all the subfloor issues, as well as, removal of the old vinyl sheet flooring. Still thinking installing on the diagonal really made a positive impact!



  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Very nice!

    Harriet Gilmer thanked Mega Builders
  • 10 years ago
    Great job!!
    Harriet Gilmer thanked xxxx xxxxx
  • 8 years ago

    I love the flooring! What did you use?

    Harriet Gilmer thanked Court G
  • 8 years ago

    Thank you, Courtney. The flooring is Adura by Mannington. Cascade Sea Mist color in Rectangles is the one I chose. Used the grout color called biscuit. I had them lay the flooring on the diagonal. Cost a bit more, but I felt the end result was worth it. Still enjoying my kitchen 5 years later. The Benjamin Moore water-based oil paint, flooring and granite are all still looking great. No problems with the tiles or grout. Best change I made in the whole house. The 4 led can lights I put in the corners made a spectacular improvement!

  • 8 years ago

    Soo pretty! Glad you're still enjoying it.

    Harriet Gilmer thanked Court G
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Nice upgrades!

    Harriet Gilmer thanked OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
  • 8 years ago

    Thank you, 5 years later and still happy with the results!


  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Looks beautiful.

    Harriet Gilmer thanked Addition Building & Design, Inc.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Great Job, Cabinets look great.

    Harriet Gilmer thanked May Construction, Inc.