Software
Houzz Logo Print
melaniecp

Geometrics and design

12 years ago
We will be placing this red art piece above our sofa with a shelf and some other art and objects of interest. Given that the art piece is made up of "little squares" should I keep the rug plain and solid color or could I get away with a pattern? (For example, a moroccan trellis as shown in the picture). What about throw pillows? Any patterns that would work well with squares? Thanks very much!!!

Comments (40)

  • 12 years ago
    Hmm, I think a solid colored rug would work best because while you have the red square painting - you also have the tree painting too. :)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    thanks! we will actually be moving the tree art to another room.
  • 12 years ago
    You're welcome! I do love your tree artwork! Where did you get it?
  • 12 years ago
    Pattern since art is moving.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Tina, the tree art is by an artist we met here in DC -- Maria Cristina Belaval
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Would the pattern of this rug look too busy with the squares art? I'm trying to figure out what patterns would look best with squares.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Or perhaps letters could look funky...
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    ok im just going to say it. i dont like that painting for that space. what is going where the tree was?
    melaniecp thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    Lanesborough Lt Grey/Dk Grey Rug, Lt Grey/ Dk Grey, 5'x8' · More Info
    melaniecp thanked User
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    yeah, I have mixed feelings about the painting too but after much deliberation, we decided that there's no other place to put it in the house and we spent too much $$ on it to not use it. I'm committed to making it work somehow so I plan to hang it to the right and then place a ledge shelf underneath and to the side of it to display another piece of art and possibly a plant or some other objects. I'm not sure yet what will replace the tree art.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    But I appreciate the honesty.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Thanks, Margo. It's a great option for a rug.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    why not put it where the tree was? add an end table with a lamp. then put the tree over the couch.........can we see the whole room.........
    melaniecp thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    The red picture is too small for that space above the sofa. Put it where the tree is now with a console table below and lamp. What color are the squares in the art? Do something over the sofa that involves a series of square shapes; picture frames, square mirrors, boxes....etc. And put enough of them up there to fill the space properly. Then, the rug can have squares also if the blocks are large enough. The pillows should have the red and the blue and whatever the squares color is in the picture. The pillows should be solid. You have enough colors now, add no more. Go for textures and metals and glass now.
    melaniecp thanked Chromatic
  • 12 years ago
    The Audrey Custom Home · More Info
    filling wall.
  • 12 years ago
    Who Says the Suburbs Aren't Glamorous?! · More Info


    ..............Squares filling wall
  • 12 years ago
    Red frames filling wall...........

    Rothesay Designer House · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    This could work too

    A colourful London home · More Info
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    idea...
    melaniecp thanked User
  • PRO
    12 years ago
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    The tree art is too big and dark for the room unfortunately. The room doesn't get much light so to place a dark wood piece on the center wall would feel to oppressive. I am aiming to do something like the attached pictures.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I couldn't justify spending $100 on a pillow.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    i love the tree art there!!!! you could use an art light over (cord and plug...add the shelves i think it looks fantastic and brings so much height to the room!! where is the tv?
    melaniecp thanked User
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Flair lighting -- this is a pic of the space before we moved in...none of that furniture is ours. We did in fact get two side tables as shown and plan to get a couple of white lamps to make the space brighter.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    picture light...
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    we kept the tv where it is in the second pic I just added...
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    why does it seem so much smaller...whre is the stairwell in relation to the couch now?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    It seems smaller now because that old pic was a real estate pic and they (agents and their photographers) are very good at manipulating pictures to make the room appear larger. I attached some current photos. Disclaimer -- the place looks like a bomb hit it because we are getting our kitchen and dining area renovated at the moment.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Just a thought.... if you love the red painting over the sofa... do it! Just paint a block of color behind it. Tape out a space that feels more balanced with the sofa and then you can paint that black, dark grey, or a bright color that goes nicely with the painting and then hang picture on it... it will be a reverse mat :) Hope that makes sense!
    melaniecp thanked Triad Plus Fabrics for the Home
  • 12 years ago
    Agree with Flair that using the tree art over the sofa with two or three floating shelves next to it to balance it out is the way to go. Using It will open up alot more design choices in terms of the rug and pillows. There's tons of blue and brown accessories out right now.
    melaniecp thanked Chromatic
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Thank you for the suggestions! We are planning on moving the tree art to our sun room in the back of the house since it will blend so nicely with the natural trees in the background. As for the red piece, we do need to incorporate it in some way in the living room because we just don't have another space for it in the house. I would totally consider moving it to the where the tree art is now but then I'm stuck trying to figure out cost effective options for the large space above the sofa. Any suggestions are welcome.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Flair, I'm trying to picture what that reverse mat would look like. Do you know how I can find a picture of that? What search terms should I use?
  • 12 years ago
    Like this but with the tree picture and floating shelves closer together. The shelves should be longer than the width of the tree picture. Then put silver, blue and white accessories on the shelves.
  • 12 years ago
    I'm stuck on the rug options. Love them! Where did you find the two black rugs you posted? I need to shop that site.
    melaniecp thanked kginny
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I found them on rugsusa.com
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    This is what I might aspire to do. Would the long horizontal piece look right next to art of this size?
    Contemporary Family Room by San Francisco Interior Designers & Decorators Studio Revolution
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Contemporary Family Room by San Francisco Interior Designers & Decorators Studio Revolution
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Contemporary Family Room by San Francisco Interior Designers & Decorators Studio Revolution