Software
Houzz Logo Print
wjones86

What should I put on this wall????

12 years ago
Not sure what to put on this wall of my living room...

Comments (32)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi! I think that I would rearrange the room a bit. If you were able to move your hutch against the wall, I would place a mirror in between them. here are a few ideas for you:

    http://deciture.com/cki-gianna-wall-mirror/

    http://deciture.com/cki-rectangle-wall-mirror/

    http://deciture.com/cki-rustica-wall-mirror/

    http://deciture.com/customary-styled-classy-metal-wall-mirror/

    http://deciture.com/precious-and-valuable-round-shaped-metal-mirror-with-spectacular-design-in-silver/

    Hope this helps you!
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I have to agree.....put the console on the wall and slide the chairs around to face the couch. Too many angles there now and the space behind the console. The console can fit right at the end of the area rug, so to speak if it cannot be centered on the wall. THAT is our focal point in the room right now if you move it.
  • 12 years ago
    Simply move that nice cabinet over and center it on the wall. Hang art 5" above it. Your two chairs seem too small scale and the table too large, but move them opposite the sofa with their front feet on the rug. Your table is too tall for the chairs and the lamp is too short for the table. Here's a chart to help with that issue. If your sofa is facing the TV then consider replacing your current chairs with a pair of swivel gliders pulled closer to the coffee table so they don't need their own table. Then they can rotate between TV and conversation.
    Howard Tufted Swivel Glider · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    A large, oblong mirror would look nice. But I agree with others here who suggest you move the console against that wall with the mirror centered over it. I might put the chairs on opposite sides of the coffee table facing each other, or new to each other facing the couch with a table in-between. I think the coffee table is a bit dark and oppressive. A glass-topped table would look airier, and show off that beautiful rug which is a good choice given the color on the walls.
  • 12 years ago
    Now what do I put in the corner???
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Big palm plant?

    Thank you for moving that piece.....love it on the wall!!! Chairs need to stay in the corner or can they move across from the couch? Is there a window across from it now? Are you afraid of blocking the view maybe?
  • 12 years ago
    Living room
  • 12 years ago
    Another view
  • 12 years ago
    View from couch
  • 12 years ago
    Another view
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I was not expecting that. WOW! Very nice! I thought maybe just a window was there. HUGE room!

    I like the chairs separated the way you just showed. Is there a way the love seat can face that wall, at the opposite end of the area rug? Would it block the tv? Do you need it for viewing tv, or are the chairs and the couch enough? The angle of the love seat is bothering me now, just like it did when the console was angled, along with the chairs.
  • 12 years ago
    I would love to see the mantle decorated with blue glassware and vases instead of family pics.
  • 12 years ago
    I have the same problem. My living room wall is 22' without any architectural detail, except crown molding. I've tried about everything, art arrangements, mirrors, etc. What's working now is a long, fairly low credenza centered on the long wall with the furniture floating at a right angle to the credenza. It creates a cozy conversational area and I have tall pieces in the corners.
  • 12 years ago
    Well, now that we see the whole picture, I'd say you should pay the money to have the TV connections moved to the wall where the cabinet is now and put the TV above the cabinet there. Remove the small credenza and fill the niche with logs for a decorative touch. Flank the FP with two chairs, but new ones in a better scale for the space. Float the love seat around to face the TV and hang the swing chair in the corner where you had the two chairs right of the cabinet. In the left corner you could do a large jardiniere with a ficus or fiddle leaf fig underplanted with trailing greenery.
    Blenheim Road · More Info

    NoHo Loft · More Info
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would consider one of these fantastic and affordable "art flowers by Tiffanie Turner. http://artstormer.com/2014/05/12/heads-giant-paper-blooms-by-tiffanie-turner/
  • 12 years ago
    I would paint out the strip of wall colour between ceilings. It is distracts the eye and seems to busy. Maybe a pro/designer can advise on how to highlight the different areas on the ceiling to show its height and detail.
  • 12 years ago
    I agree. I would paint the small part of the wall white and keep that whole area uniform. Or, lighten the walls and paint that entire ceiling part dark like the walls are now. That would be very dramatic.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Put the photos that are above the fireplace into the console.

    Try the colored glass objects that are on the coffee table on top of the console.

    Pull the rug that is in front of the sofa out from under it, so that it lines up more with the console.
  • 12 years ago
    Wow, you've a got a great huge room, and way too much little stuff. Moving the cabinet was a good first step. Lose the skinny buffet lamps on top for the second step.

    Since you have no ideabooks, I am going to play in your room with no restrictions. I'll be back with your redone space in a bit. Don't be surprised if it contains a canary.
  • 12 years ago
    Big yes to Deco's idea of moving the tv over your distressed cabinet. Right now tv and fireplace are competing big time!
  • 12 years ago
    Or, you can get a cabinet maker in to create doors in a similar distressed wood to enclose it when not in use:
    Mediterranean Manhattan Beach Home · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    For fun, looking for rooms with blue and brown:
    Entertaining Living Room for a young family · More Info

    DEL CERRO REMODEL · More Info

    Transitional Style Living Space · More Info

    Old Greenwich Beach Cottage · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    It looks wonderful! What program did you use to change the items around? I love all of your ideas :)
  • 12 years ago
    Hi. I think you should put family pics on that wall!!
  • 12 years ago
    wjones86, I use Photoshop Elements (Photoshop's skinnier, cheaper cousin). Priorities for your room, IMO, are squaring up the loveseat, replacing the rug with a darker, more vibrant blue, and getting art over the cabinet on that wall.

    Your room was easy to work on; you'd already done the a darn good job, so tweaking a few details was a piece of cake. Now, go forth and shop!
  • 12 years ago
    Groveraxle, when our floors get finished I am going to send you a couple of rooms to photoshop ;). Great ideas and I am going to World market to buy the artwork.
  • 12 years ago
    Groveraxle that is perfect. Great blue colours and the coffee table is perfect. everything in the room just says come on in and relax. Nothing hits the eye with a wrong note so that one can only stare at that and not enjoy the room. At least IMO
  • 12 years ago
    Isn't it nice to know that sooooo much of what you already have will be perfect in your room??!!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    A water feature would look amazing!
  • 12 years ago
    I would put a tall plant in the corner where the hutch used to be and a small table between the two chairs.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Groveraxle does it again! Love it!

    One other change I would make for big impact: changing out ceiling fan light fixture.
    Lake Home Living · More Info

    LAMPS PLUS · More Info