Software
Houzz Logo Print
zealart

How functional are the cabinets above the island?

12 years ago
I'm considering adding such upper cabinets above my kitchen seating area, but wonder whether it's just going to be more frustrating than useful, since I wouldn't be able to access them easily.
What has the experience been with them, seeing that everyday items like drinking glasses are in them?
And what is the space between them and the counter?- Thanks.
My Houzz: Busy Family Farmhouse · More Info

Comments (3)

  • 12 years ago
    I love these cabinets. We hung them high so that they weren't in the way visually when talking to people in the living room. They bottom of the cabinet sits 36" above the counter. I store things like special glassware in them and the pieces that I use most often are on bottom shelves. However, I do keep a vintage step-stool in the kitchen for reaching the higher shelves. The glass doors make them feel more "airy" so that they don't feel like a wall between the rooms.
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you so much for all the info and putting my mind at ease to go ahead with higher upper cabinets.
  • 12 years ago
    Good luck!