Software
Houzz Logo Print
boggett2001

Refurbish Old Wicker Loveseat

12 years ago
Okay, yesterday I found and purchased an old wicker loveseat for $35, which I thought was a real steal. It's sturdy and comfy. My question surrounds what color to paint it. Do you normally start with the fabric for the cushion, the house paint that it'll be sitting in front of, or just choose your favorite color and starting painting the wicker? Any certain kind of paint I should use? Any ideas will be welcome!

Comments (12)

  • 12 years ago
    By the way, the cushion WILL be getting re-covered, it's really faded as it is. I might even make a comfier one.
  • 12 years ago
    Both Krylon and Rustoleum make wonderful outdoor spray paints, they come in a huge array of colors, just read the cans to pick the type you need to use on wicker. I would pick the paint first and go from there. I wouldn't worry about the house color as it is its own little escape area...
    boggett2001 thanked gypsyrose17
  • 12 years ago
    Great find!

    What colors are on your house? I'd go with something that is not an exact match to your house, but that looks good with it. Those pre-chosen paint palettes that the paint companies put out are very helpful, if you're not great at coordinating colors (like me).

    Another thing to consider is if you're going to get a table to go with it. I recently spray painted over a wicker love seat and then bought a wicker-like table to go with it. I then had to buy a lighter shade of spray paint for the love seat so that it would look better with my table. All told I think it took about 5 or 6 cans of paint, though I was not careful to fully cover the parts that wouldn't be seen (like the area under the cushion).
    boggett2001 thanked samanthaja
  • 12 years ago
    The house is a nice "faded green" color and now I'm leaning toward leaving it white since I figure with the cushion material I can pick up different colors that'll look nice beside the house. Thanks, folks!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi boggett2001 -- be sure to put a finishing coat of polyurethane on it -- not only to protect the wicker, but the paint from weathering. I brushed on two coats of standard Minwax Polyurethane and after two years of being outdoors, my wicker chairs still look brand new.

    Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
    boggett2001 thanked Thos. Baker
  • 12 years ago
    I advise using a solid color cushion with a variety of pillows in geometric and prints. The floral cushions make wicker furniture look dated IMO
    boggett2001 thanked Barb Cona
  • 12 years ago
    Christi, I was wondering about that. This loveseat will be in a spot outdoors where it won't get rain or sun on it. Is the polyurethane still necessary?
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I didn't use the poly, but as mentioned earlier, I did have to touch up in a few tiny spots after two years of being outside (protected from the rain in summer and during our Canadian winter, covered with a tarp and on dry ground). At the time, I asked the person in paint dept for their recommendation on the right paint and it's worked pretty good so far. .
    boggett2001 thanked Maureen
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Great ideas above for painting the wicker. I couldn't find a cushion for my vintage wicker, so I bought an inexpensive random seat cushion and wrapped an old ralph lauren mattress ticking heavy cotton sheet around it. Looks fabulous, and I can easily take it off and wash it.
    boggett2001 thanked abcd
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Hi boggett2001 -- Even though the wicker won't be directly exposed to sun or rain, the outdoor elements still contain variations in temperature, moisture levels, dirt in the air and an assortment of factors that indoor furniture isn't subjected to. You don't have to put a poly finish on it, but if you're going to invest in restoring it, why not go the extra step and protect your investment? It won't cost but $10 and doesn't take but two hours. In the long run, you'll be glad you did.

    Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • 12 years ago
    Maureen...first time I spray painted outdoors, I put a painters tarp on the patio, secured it with bricks as it was a slightly breezy day...didn't run out of paint, but ended up with blue feet and nice clear flipflop lines.