Software
Houzz Logo Print
vetterling

Kitchen remodel

8 hours ago

I am remodeling my kitchen and replacing almost everything but not changing the layout, no walls will move. My designer wants to get rid of the soffit and have the kitchen cabinets go the the top of the 10' ceiling. Except for the short span over the ovens and the fridge, these upper cabinets are over standard depth countertops. I can't reach the top cabinets that I have now under the soffit without a three step ladder or standing on the counters. I am 75 years old and don't think I will ever use these - not even once. My designer and I have discussed this a good bit and I understand the design concept. Will the improved visual of 10" cabinets be so good that I will get the extra money back in resale value? I would like to hear the voice of experience from people who have made this decision, both those who have gone with the tall cabinets and those who chose to forgo them. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Comments (6)

  • 7 hours ago

    I have both. My second home has really tall ( idk how tall ) cabinets that go to the ceiling, my primary home does not. Even though I’m tall I never use the the uppers in my second home & I’m not about to climb on a ladder to access them. I realize that it’s ”de riguer” to have them installed to the ceiling, see that mentioned on this site always, but I don’t understand the appeal. Guess it’s for aesthetics. Resale? Do you intend to sell soon?

    vetterling thanked K Laurence
  • 7 hours ago

    Can you post pictures?

  • 5 hours ago
    last modified: 5 hours ago

    What about keeping a soffit but having it match the cabinets?

    I am only 5ft tall. I can only reach the 2nd shelf and only items right in the front. Forget the 3rd shelf and if cabinets were all the way up to a 10 foot ceiling. Current house has vaulted ceilings in the kitchen so cabinets can not go to the ceiling. Previous house had wood stained cabinets and the soffit above matched the cabinets.


    If I were buying a home I am not paying more because a kitchen has cabinets to the ceiling.


    Something like this:



    vetterling thanked Clyde Kalvin
  • 3 hours ago

    It depends on your local real estate market. If there are many new homes in your area with 10 ft ceilings with cabinets to the ceiling, then it would make sense to upgrade your home with similar specs.

    If most homes are of the same vintage as yours and they all have soffits, then it might not matter if you keep shorter cabinets.

    As a buyer, I would be annoyed that you had a newer kitchen and kept the soffits with short cabinets. Depending on the market, I might make an offer that would take into account having to remove the soffit and get new upper cabinets.

    You aren't going to please everyone!

    Maybe show us a photo of the kitchen so we can see how the soffits "feel" in the actual space.

    Also how big is the kitchen? Getting rid of the soffits will have a bigger visual impact in a smaller kitchen.

    vetterling thanked chispa
  • 2 hours ago

    " I am remodeling my kitchen and replacing almost everything but not changing the layout, no walls will move. "

    We have remodeled 2 kitchens without moving any walls, but we absolutely made layout changes. In the first one - a U-shaped kitchen with the sink in the middle - we moved both the range and the fridge away from the corner, greatly improving both storage and work space in the kitchen.

    Chances are there are places you can improve with minor tweaks to the layout, without significantly changing walls or appliance placement.


    As for your question: in both our kitchens, the top of the uppers are 8' from the floor, in spite of vaulted ceilings in both cases. I would always recommend cabinets to an 8' ceiling; possibly 9', depending on the situation. But 10' is WAY up there. Cabinets are too expensive to install if they are not realistically ever going to be used.

    Pictures would help a lot!