Software
Houzz Logo Print
trevis58

Loggia make over

12 years ago
Any good ideas for my porch?
Hot tub? Herb containers and plants ?
Seating area? Must be in keeping with grade II listed building.

Comments (29)

  • 12 years ago
    Whitewash the back wall (brick) to brighten things up in there. Ask a painting professional about painting brick correctly--apparently it has to be able to breathe. Then create a lovely sitting area.
  • 12 years ago
    What a beautiful old home and porch! I would gently power wash the area, paint the wood trim on windows, ceiling, etc. with a bright white paint. I would not whitewash the walls, especially if this is a Listed Property. It will probably be prohibited as this is an exterior space. Treat the area as a solarium. Create a seating area with all-weather furniture with bright colored Sunbrella cushions to bring color and brightness to the space. Consolidate your plants, coordinating the pots and/or replanting them in larger pots. Less is more. If you have the capacity to do so (a power source) I would hang a large (antique?) wrought iron lantern over the center of the seating area so that you can add light to the area in the evening or on dark days. (Consider putting it on a dimmer, too!). You might place an outdoor rug under the seating area, too. It has the potential to be a very elegant space. Lucky you!
  • 12 years ago
    Ok what wall lantern should I get. With motion sensor too.
  • 12 years ago
    Love your door! I would not go with a motion sensor on the light. A timer, perhaps, but not a motion sensor. I would choose a larger light fixture (lantern) for beside the door. You have the space for one. Traditionally shaped black or bronzed finish. Do you have the ability to add a hanging lantern over the seating area of the loggia? That will add more light to the area, too. You can find coordinating fixtures, wall mounted and hanging lanterns, on many lighting sites. Are you in the UK?
  • 12 years ago
    Look at www.Ballarddesigns.com for some hanging lantern ideas. Check out the Piedmont 4light lantern as an example. Or the Charthouse model. They range between $249-349, depending on size. Are designed for outdoor use. Large, simple in design. Four lights. And then choose something along these same simple lines for beside your door, wall mounted. I would put the hanging lantern on a dimmer. The on,y time I would put a motion sensor on an exterior light is if there is a security issue. But then I have too any squirrels and other critters in my yard that would set it off!
  • 12 years ago
    For a wall mount, check out: Savoy House Monte Grande Outdoor Wall Mount Light Fixture in English Bronze. It comes in two sizes. I think the 26" high x 10" wide might work for you and make a statement. You can view it in the Houzz Product Gallery under outdoor lighting.
  • 12 years ago
    Yes.Im in Hampshire uk
  • 12 years ago
    You also might consider going to a shop that sells old, antique light fixtures and see if they have any that would work. Vintage trumps new, in my estimation!
  • 12 years ago
    I'm still not sure about my chimney pots.
  • 12 years ago
    What is the situation with your chimney pots???
  • 12 years ago
    I like them!
  • 12 years ago
    And your Wellies!
  • 12 years ago
    Did you used to have screen doors? Did they connect to those hooks on the sides of the doorway? Those would look great if you had/have them!!

    I have a big porch too & I really love my seating area. My porchlights are on dimmers & I have several different oil lamps to keep mosquitos away. I have the rug idea mentioned above along with linen porch curtains. Just some visual ideas for you....

    You wouldn't want a porchlight like mine, but I had taken mine down, cleaned them up with a wire brush & painted them with a black & gold flake paint. Just saying that if you find a fixture that needs a cleanup, it's NOT difficult at all.
  • 12 years ago
    Nice porch.
    Just I think two new bay trees or box hedges in white or black pots either side of the door would look better.
    Thanks
  • 12 years ago
    Will they get enough light there next to the door? I would put larger square zinc or lead planters outside the short end entrance to the loggia, towards the gravel driveway (if I am reading your site correctly.) I love the look of square old metal planters, or even white or green painted box planters as large as you can make them and fit on the ledge in front of the entrance area. Yes to your suggested plantings for them! Classic! Isn't it after midnight in your part of the world? Go to bed! ;)
  • 12 years ago
    Yep. I'm just up.
  • 12 years ago
    Amazing website planters.
    I'm in the uk so need uk links.
    You think less pots. I was also thinking a corner couch seating area with cushions and a planter under the window. Perhaps a hot tub!?!? Ha ha
  • 12 years ago
    Look at outdoor teak furniture in a Chippendale or classic English Lutyens style.
  • 12 years ago
    Love bluenan's suggestions for traditional garden furniture but understand you want something more functional, no? A sectional in a modern, simple style with cushions would work tucked in that dark corner. Or a couch and a loveseat. And a nice chair and ottoman. With a table by its side. Yes, fewer pots. Sorry! Or clump three or more of them them together so they read as one large planter...high and low together. Pots don't have to be identical, but less is more, visually. I won't comment on your desire for a hot tub! I will look on UK websites for more garden planters and furniture and see what I can find....
  • 12 years ago
    Hey...I was just tossing some ideas out there. Like if you were thinking of maybe a porch rug or something...

    That house has great bones! :0)
  • 12 years ago
    I have teak furniture with cushions and pillows and they're really sturdy and comfy.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I will....no hot tub! :)
  • 12 years ago
    I'll take more photos. Those benches are in the grounds. They are park benches.
  • 12 years ago
    Please do post more photos of the inside of the loggia. What are its measurements? That way others can advise on the size and layout of furniture....how many, what kind of pieces. I think a straightforward layout of a couch with its back to the long wall, and at least two chairs might be best. Only one person ever sits on a loveseat! Tables, etc.
  • 12 years ago
    I saw the perfect seats today on a pub porch.
    They are white savanna grass backed seats with light brown cushions that are wide and low with a corner couch. Also the idea of large white planters is cool. As with the two large white pots either side of the door. I'm going to move the two chimney pots.
    What about a water feature like a small waterfall against the brick?
  • 12 years ago
    Here a close ip of my rustic table that I'm changing.
    Still like it though.
  • 12 years ago
    The table and stools are very hobbit-like. They'd be neat out on the grounds under a tree.