Software
Houzz Logo Print
sonnichs

Need to reconfigure front porch - would love some ideas

12 years ago
Our front porch is as it was upon purchase of this house. It is terrible in all respects. The front door to the house is visible in my photos. The porch is actually part of the original tiny ranch that the original owners added 2,000sf to in the 80s.

Comments (14)

  • 12 years ago
    My question would be, how do you want to use it? Just as an entry way? or maybe sit there and relax?
    sonnichs thanked Lilian Delreal
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Lilian...mainly an entry way, but nice if I could put a couple small chairs out there. Thank you!
  • 12 years ago
    What a cute property. Can you tell me in the close up of the front entry, does the gravel lead to a garage / can this be converted to a pedestrian way without cutting off vehicular access? I see a truck to the left but also a garage behind and to the right . . does the drive go all the way around now?

    Let's try to solve this with a deck and trellis rather than a big overhaul of the roof and structure . . I will be back with a sketch - you want people to know where to approach the home. Is the layout inside conducive to the door just as it is? Is there any better location moving toward the street, away from the corner but on the same wall, for the entry door? Or in the middle of the three windows we see but facing the street? Or, should we continue to work with the door as it is in the corner?
  • 12 years ago
    I'd paint the ceiling so it's more interesting, not a neutral color, maybe a dark red or yellow, a bench and even an exterior carpet runner. You could hang some wind chimes, etc
    sonnichs thanked Lilian Delreal
  • 12 years ago
    Let's extend your porch forward and bring the stairs off the front, with a gable topped trellis running lengthwise to echo the other house gables .. your front porch will be a real destination and complement the addition architecture. . .add an arched pergola to the walk way to echo the palladian windows ... . back with sketches .
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you for responding! The gravel ends and then there is a rectangle of grass (you can see the color change where they seeded - that was a couple of years ago. Sorry I didn't include another photo). Therefore, one can park their car on the gravel and then walk on the grass to the steps of the porch (we need a pathway). The driveway is a semi-circle. The truck on the left is parked next to sliders to the lower part of the house). On the right - there is no garage...but there is a shed. I hope I answered in enough detail. Thank you so much!
    ok I just came in from taking additional images that may be helpful!
  • 12 years ago
    I love your idea! I was outside taking photos when you got back to me. I do believe the stairs should be where you sketched them. I can't wait to show my husband. MANY THANKS!
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I think libra has the right idea, but I wouldn't do gables. For one thing, you'll lose the window there. I would have the porch step down to a deck that runs the length of the house, and then have steps at the end of the deck to the ground. You could do a flat roof, or no roof at all except by the door.
  • 12 years ago
    .
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Oh grover, I didn't mean do a roof - I really meant to do an open trellis - that way you don't lose the window at all and the low roof over the door stays as is . . . I like your sketch but it looks like a back deck instead of an entry and this is their front door .. I was trying for a front porch feel / sense of arrival. My quick sketch with shapes - the triangles are too high / don't match the actual roof slope as their trellis would want too . so it is a bit out of proportion . . and just the outline .. have to find some of the cool open trellis details I've seen here on houzz for just this sort of application . .
  • 12 years ago
    But, even if only the steps were repositioned (and the rest of the porch redone with nice wood and painted, etc., THAT would help. Although grover did make a deck in the front, believe it or not that would not be all that off. The back of our house has a cement slab for a "patio," and is about 15 feet from a golf course (we don't golf, ha ha!), so we are in harms way and never feel comfortable back there - but my gardens look good there at least! So maybe we would not put the barbecue in the front of the house, but it sure is an interesting idea. THANK YOU!!!
  • 12 years ago
    Extend the deck to the front of the house with stairs running the full width. Paint the rise and railings white to grab your attention. Maybe add some beautiful potted plants on the stairs.
  • 12 years ago
    I get it now, libra. Take off the posts and trellis and I'm with you on your design.