Software
Houzz Logo Print
sphillips01

Family room with dated built ins

12 years ago
Looking for suggestions on what to do with these built ins. I realize the whole room really needs help, but the built ins look dated to me and I'm ready for an update! I'm thinking about painting them a lighter color, not white, maybe a creamy off white? I have seen contrasting colors on the back of built ins and am open to that as well.

Also, what kind of furniture would look good here...I get so overwhelmed when I look at things I don't know where to begin. It's very frustrating...

So any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

Comments (71)

  • 12 years ago
    I really like all the changes you have made. Bravo for taking on the challenges - it has really paid off. Personally, I think you need a mantle that is the color of the cabinets. The stone isn't bad but it just seems like one big blank area. I like the picture that Obethgramo posted and I agree that you should skip the tv console and have someone redo the shelves. Get the bigger tv and just have the shelves cut to fit the tv. I also agree with others that you can have shelves built in where the gun cabinet initially was located. Honestly, I don't mind the furniture or rug. They look comfy and like a house people live in, not a showroom. I like the wing chair next to fireplace.

    Good luck! I enjoy seeing your pictures!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    It's really coming along! Good job! I have a couple of questions. Are you going to paint the fireplace? How about the wall color? Also, does the rug stay? Before you purchase new furniture, these things should be addressed first.

    The reason is that there is a disconnect between the wall color, the colors of the rock in the fireplace, the colors in the rug and the colors in the furniture currently in the room, so it would be a good idea to have a clear vision of your color scheme at this point, while the room is empty.

    I would recommend a fresh new wall color, and if you don't want to paint the fireplace, it should be restored with a wash to remove the soot and renew the natural colors of the stone.

    Here are examples of color schemes (walls, rugs, furnishings) that would set off your newly painted cabinets and make your living room sing! Do you find any of these color combinations attractive or of interest?

    Since you're doing a lot of work and investing time, energy and money into a new look for this beautiful room, it's worth attending to all of the details!

    Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
    sphillips01 thanked Thos. Baker
  • 12 years ago
    We put the tv in the builtins to see how it might look (we could probably put it on either side but the left side would be easier) Actually a 40 inch tv would fit without removing the middle section, so it's not really that small (I was surprised!) I like the idea of the tv there but the only thing is that it's off center and hard to see when the couch is in that position. When we moved the couch to face the fireplace it just didn't look right for some reason. You come into the room and see the back of the couch and it feels like the room is cut in half. I don't know, maybe I'll move it again and see. But when the tv is on the wall and the couch is facing the tv it's just more comfortable and seems to suit our needs better.

    As for the fireplace, i think a mantle would look nice but I don't have a spare one sitting around to hang up, lol! I'll get there eventually though! I don't know anything about washing the stone. The fireplace doesn't really bother me but the pictures that have been posted look nice though...will have to look into that.

    I would like a new rug but we may have to work with what we've got. We haven't bought anything yet so gotta work on the budget and see...

    I would also love to change the paint but that's easier said then done! We live in a 1 story ranch so that wall runs the entire length of the house. Unfortunately I can't just paint this one room, I would basically have to paint the whole house. So keeping the paint the same would be nice (unless there's a way to change paint colors midway) There's one pic posted taken from the fireplace looking toward the other end of the house.

    I will look good at the color schemes posted when I get on my computer at home.

    Thanks again for all the suggestions! We just want a comfy family room for a family with 3 kids and a dog! :)
  • 12 years ago
    Christi, of the 4 images you posted I like the 2 on the right the best. The room felt like a dark hole before and I want to get away from that. What color furniture and/or rug would you suggest?
  • 12 years ago
    Have you thought about putting your furniture on an angle? In such a big room, there is no need to have everything by a wall. I attached an example layout...just to give you a rough idea.
    sphillips01 thanked Beth Gilliamyz. Bllyynqv
  • 12 years ago
    I think a chunky rustic wood mantle is needed.
    sphillips01 thanked houseatthelake
  • 12 years ago
    I would float the furniture in centre away from walls maybe sofa table behind sofa. Sofa facing fireplace.
    sphillips01 thanked houseatthelake
  • 12 years ago
    Inspiration/ref pic for personal decoration on the shelves of the media cabinet
    Nancy · More Info
    sphillips01 thanked anne dee
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    sphillips01 -- what color are the walls? In the photo, they appear to have a light green tint, but it could be the way the light is casting on the room. I can sure understand why you don't want to repaint the walls, so if they're currently white or off-white, you're free to go any direction you like with the color of your rug and furniture.

    The new white shelves go a long way in lightening and brightening your room and a lighter rug will also help. With kids and a doggy, you obviously don't want a light rug, but you can go medium. In the photos above, the color schemes were coordinated with the colors of the stones in the fireplace.

    You chose the beige/golden tan/pale green and black/tan color schemes. You can go with a patterned rug or simple solid, whichever you prefer. This first group of photos reflects the beige/golden tan/pale green color scheme.

    Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
    sphillips01 thanked Thos. Baker
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    These rugs are idea samples for a black/tan color scheme.

    Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
    sphillips01 thanked Thos. Baker
  • 12 years ago
    First, and most important, your dog looks like Grover's brother. Sleeps like him, too.

    Second, I do not think you need a mantel, but I do think you need a big piece of art. I've got a nice big canary, if you're interested.

    Third, I think the TV is better on the wall opposite the window. If you put it in the built-ins, it's going to look crammed in. Be sure you get a console that is at least 25% longer than your TV. Longer is always better.

    I agree with Christi about the wall color though monitors are notorious for getting it wrong. Are all the walls the same color? Looking toward the fireplace, they seem to have a green undertone. Looking the other direction, the undertone looks pink.

    I also would look for a tall vase or sculpture for the gun cabinet. Something interesting and unusual there will add variety to the display.
    sphillips01 thanked groveraxle
  • 12 years ago
    The paint color is Behr Oat Straw which I'd call beige. I'd say it looks the most accurate in the "before" pic at the top of the post. The other pics definitely have a weird color cast.

    I do like most of the rugs you posted...would love to have a different one! Would you keep the same size? That's a 12x10 rug. Could a smaller, maybe 8x10 (i.e. cheaper, ha!) rug work?

    Would dark brown furniture look bad in here? Not matchy matchy but maybe a beige-ish couch and 2 dark leather chairs? And some colorful pillows? And I don't know what kind of curtains but I like the attached look. Too many decisions...I'm worried about it feeling dark in there again!

    We do like the idea of the tv against the wall with a console. That's a long wall though...any ideas of what else to hang on the wall. Sorry for all the questions...I am clueless.

    Grover looks pretty cool...I have a beagle named Emma. She looks like that most of the time, ha!

    Thanks again!
  • 12 years ago
    Many of the dilemmas on houzz come with dark brown furniture, usually big fat dark brown furniture, which suck all the light out of a room and leave the homeowner struggling to get rid of the heavy feel. Dark brown is tempting because it doesn't show dirt (or dog slobber), but it often becomes a design nightmare. So my advice is just say no to dark brown.

    Indeed, I just strolled through your ideabook, and not one single photo you've saved shows dark brown.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks...that makes sense! I wouldn't want a whole dark set so I thought just 2 dark chairs might work. But maybe not...

    My dog would never get dirty or slobber but my kids are another story, lol! Leather would be easy to wipe up and so far the only color we like has been dark. We have microfiber in another room and it needs cleaning a lot, so that's probably out. The search continues...
  • 12 years ago
    Personally, I'm all about the grey - every shade of it! Light greys help to reflect light (but clean more easily than white), and to me most greys work well with either warm or cool color palettes. Beige furniture is everywhere - because it's a color that works well for many people and also helps to hide dirt and wear - but I have yet to see a beige that didn't seem to *demand* a warm color palette. (Cream doesn't count - it's lighter!) If you prefer a warm palette, beige could be perfect. (I wouldn't recommend cream or white, even leather, with kids and pets.)

    Slipcovers could really work well for you, too. Lots of furniture manufacturers (Rowe and others I can't think of right now) are making sofas in slipcovered lines at the moment, so you're not just stuck with buying bulky one-size slipcovers that don't fit your particular sofa. (Although that's always an option as well, especially with all the stretch fit lines.) Manufacturers of these slipcovered sofa lines usually have hundreds of fabrics to select from, so you might find just what you're looking for that way. (Slipcovers could make white or cream furniture an option, if you're leaning that direction...)

    My experience with microfiber has been opposite yours - it's about the only fabric that stays clean in my house. (Leather gets tiny punctures in it from playful kitties.) It may just be a matter of finding the right type of microfiber.
    sphillips01 thanked greenyogini
  • 12 years ago
    Being budget-conscious, I tried an 8 x 10 rug. I think it might be a little small in this great big room. But this seagrass 8 x 10 was only $200 at Overstock, so I'll bet you can find a bigger one for not too much more. The key is to make it really neutral so everything else will go.

    This white media console from Ikea is just over $200 and is probably long enough. Something like a reclaimed wood would probably look better, but the white will match your newly painted built-ins and looks ok.

    I reupholstered your gray couch in a beige, but reupholstering won't save you any money, so you'd probably do just as well to buy new. And I really like this rich brown recliner from West Elm. It's the priciest thing in the room. (Sorry for just dumping it; I couldn't turn it the way it should go in the room.)

    You asked about the long wall the TV is on. If you keep the seating close, a big plant can simply define the end of the space. Naturally, we can't forget the art. I chose one with a bit of green to echo the plant.
    sphillips01 thanked groveraxle
  • 12 years ago
    Ah, you didn't mention kids. More spillers than slobberers, but they can do a number on furniture, for sure. But if you go with leather, it doesn't have to be dark to be easy to clean. Take a look at this leather sofa from West Elm: http://www.westelm.com/products/hamilton-sofa-h848/?pkey=call-sofas%7C4294963553&group=1&sku=8982035&cm_src=all-sofas||FN-Material-_-FN-Leather-_--_-
    sphillips01 thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    the couch should be in front of the fire place, then i would add a love seat to the left and two chairs to the right by the window. then make some art choices for the left wall, and a mirror over the fireplace. and a console behind couch.
    sphillips01 thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    The rug is too small, but the neutral color is good. Never paint the stone fireplace. Leather is a good choice, but the one above is too orange. Stick to a less orange tone, perhaps a somewhat darker brown.
    sphillips01 thanked Lee Weber
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Hi sphillips01 -- checking on your progress and it looks like you and groveraxle have been covering some ground! As he suggested, best to stay with a large area rug since the room is large. We're having a sale on rugs -- take a peek, perhaps you might find a great new rug for the right price. You might even consider an outdoor rug. They can also be used indoors and I figure anything weather resistant is also kids, dogs, spills resistant!


    http://www.thosbaker.com/outdoor-rug-outdoor-carpet/

    Also agree with grover to stay away from brown furniture, especially since you're looking to lighten the room. If you keep the area rug you have now, you can brighten the whole room with a light gray sofa and accent pillows that carry a bit of burgandy (to tie in with the rug). Also, a white coffee table to highlight the fresh new color of the built-ins and complement the idea of a long white console for the television. So your fundamental color scheme (working with your current area rug) would be white, gray and burgandy.

    Take a look at these photos. The walls are all a light color (like your walls). Each has a light gray sofa and each is using a lot of "white" somewhere (walls, floors, shelves, curtains). Although each has a different accent color, the one with the burgandy pillows is the best example of what would work with your area rug. Each of these rooms is based on a fundamental color scheme: gray/white/accent color. You could add another accent color too. For example, burgandy and silvery-green throw pillows would be beautiful with your area rug!

    Hope this helps!

    Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
    sphillips01 thanked Thos. Baker
  • 12 years ago
    *SWOON*! Oh, how I *adore* grey sofas!!! :D
    sphillips01 thanked greenyogini
  • 12 years ago
    I took the rug out and the room looks so different (better!) I tried an 8x10 rug from another room and yes, it is too small. We have been looking at furniture but nothing has jumped out yet. I do like the grey couches & beige is an option too. Just have to make a decision...

    I like these curtains & the idea of having yellow, green and maybe a little turquoise in the room. Just need to figure out how to pull it all together! I'll post an update when we make some more progress! Thanks for all your help! Any other tips would be appreciated as well ;)
  • 12 years ago
    here are some other ideas that would look nice with grey furniture and the posted curtains.
    large grey pattern rug
    colourful pillows selectio
    green garden stool would look nice between 2 chairs
    standing lamp with a white shade
    turquoise vase etc.
    posted for ideas
    Tender Green Honey Garden Stool · More Info

    Fiachra Geometric Pillow Green 18"x18" · More Info

    Maarav Solid Pillow Turquoise 18"x18" · More Info

    Yellow Canyon Pillow, 18x18 · More Info

    Yellow Moroccan Pillow · More Info

    Tall Stupa Vase, Turquoise · More Info

    Handmade Flat Weave Moroccan Pattern Grey/ White Rug (3'6 x 5'6) · More Info

    Axiom Sofa, Ash Gray · More Info

    Floor Lamp - White Fabric Shade · More Info

    posted for ideas not the exact colours or styles seen
    sphillips01 thanked anne dee
  • 12 years ago
    We finally have some new furniture!! We decided on a grey couch with 2 "slate" colored recliners. Since there are 5 people in our family we got a larger couch that is slightly curved...there is a matching large round ottoman that we will order once we decide on the fabric.
    The bookshelves are still a work in progress as well...I'm trying to fill them up without cluttering them.
    We also got new curtains up and have one more set of roman shades to hang ;)
    Still need a picture or mantle for the fireplace as well!

    I have a couple more questions for you!! :)

    I need help picking a rug...do I go with a grey one or is that too much grey? (I like the one posted above) If not, then what color?

    How do I decorate the wall around the tv?

    Chair by the fireplace, yay or nay?

    Any other suggestions welcome as well!
    Thanks!!
  • 12 years ago
    Rug 1: I like this but it's reeeeally expensive cowhide ($1500). Has anyone seen a similar pattern?
    Rug 2: Another one I like with a similar pattern as the first rug. Is it too light?

    View looking at the tv...a big blank wall!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    do the recliners swivel?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    paint your vent cover the wall color.
    sphillips01 thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    No, the recliners don't swivel.

    I tried the couch facing the fireplace and the recliners in front of the windows and wasn't crazy about it. I don't have a picture though. The couch looked too big to go there. But I really like the larger size couch so uggggh! :)

    Ohhh, the vent cover would look better painted! Love the pictures too! Thanks!
  • 12 years ago
    sphillips01, the room looks fabulous. You've done a great job on the shelves. I wish your TV console were a bit longer, but we'll work on that wall. And, I'm gonna find you a rug. Actually, that second rug might not be too light. Let me Photoshop it in your room and we'll have a look.
    sphillips01 thanked groveraxle
  • 12 years ago
    Your rug, and five from West Elm to follow. It will take two posts.
    sphillips01 thanked groveraxle
  • 12 years ago
    Dos màs:
    sphillips01 thanked groveraxle
  • 12 years ago
    sphillips, I love what you have done! Love the touches of turquoise because you are in a mid-century house. I think the turquoise/teal rug in one of the pictures above, might be a nice next step.
    sphillips01 thanked Sonomamama Cruz
  • 12 years ago
    sphillips01, I must be honest and tell you the only thing that saves the view of your TV wall is Emma, dear sweet, non-slobbering Emma. (And, BTW, thanks for having a hound; those golden retrievers are so hard to photoshop.)

    I have removed your pitiful lamp, added a plant, some art, and some terribly overpriced poufs for the kids to lounge on. (Have you ever noticed that all poufs are overpriced. A fabric box and some stuffing for $249? Puh-leeze!)

    I also selected the rug I think works the best for this rendering. Now that I see the curtains and pillows, I should go back and put some teal on this wall. Maybe later. It's happy hour now.
    sphillips01 thanked groveraxle
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    This might do it. Tell the kids, "No poufs for you." Of course, you must use the Soup Nazi accent when you say it. (If you're too young for Seinfeld, this will make absolutely no sense.)
    sphillips01 thanked groveraxle
  • 12 years ago
    This rug is similar to the one you posted above(cowhide 1500)
    Flat-Weave Stripe Pattern Wool Gray/Ivory Area Rug (8' x 10') · More Info

    if interested see houzz for sizes and prices very reasonable as this item appears to be on sale
    sphillips01 thanked anne dee
  • 12 years ago
    Your room is looking very nice.
    sphillips01 thanked Debbie McMahon Carr
  • 12 years ago
    If you haven't started cleaning your brick yet, I have one suggestion. Before you start with water and rags, give it a try with a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment. I was shocked to see mine came off easily and was almost completely gone in a mere five minutes, just from the vacuum. My mom tried hers with soap and water and had a smeary mess. Just Clean the brush attachment before you vacuum anything white!! Hope that helps. It also worked on the glass doors and the chain fire screens.
    sphillips01 thanked Moxiemom
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks groveraxle...I love seeing how those rugs look in the room!

    I measured and think a 9x12 rug might be too small :( A 10x14 would be ideal to fit some of it under the couch and recliners. I attached a couple other options...am I on the right track? Rug 3 would still work if I got 2 5x7's and put them together (might be a bad idea? Depends on the edging of it I guess)

    Yeah, a longer tv console would look better. We looked at them in several furniture stores but didn't see many that were super long...and the super long ones have a super price tag too! I'm ok with what we got! :) I am looking at consignment stores for some kind of chair to angle in by the fireplace (to the right of the tv). I like the art and plant idea too!

    I haven't worked on the cleaning the fireplace but thanks for the tip moxiemom! Good to know!!
  • 12 years ago
    OH my GOSH, I love it!!! :) The suggestions from Grover above are all divine, and what you've done so far is gorgeous.

    I would: 1) move that darker blue stool/end table (hiding between the recliners) to another space. It's not in the color palette of the room. 2) Hang the painting in the farthest right space of the built-ins. It will fit right into the space, just above the other items on the shelf. Right now it looks as if it's resting on top of something, so maybe you already planned to hang it.

    Truly, it's a lovely space. Makes me want to come hang out! ;)
    sphillips01 thanked greenyogini
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    i like the last two rugs grover posted, what about a coffee table? I was thinking maybe rustic on wheels, or a long ottoman with storage for blankets? here are a couple ideas.
    sphillips01 thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    I knew you needed a big rug, but holy cow...
  • 12 years ago
    This is similar to the West Elm rug I liked the best: http://plushrugs.com/artistic-weavers/awhp/awhp-4025/#grey
    sphillips01 thanked groveraxle
  • 12 years ago
    greenyogini: Thanks! I found the blue garden stool at lowe's for $20! I plan to spray paint it once I pick a color (maybe turquoise) and put it somewhere in the room! And you're right about the picture...I'm deciding if that's the one I want to hang there or maybe something else ;)

    flair lighting: I think I wrote somewhere up there about a round ottoman that was with the couch. We haven't ordered it yet because we had to decide on the fabric for it. I really like the long ottoman with storage idea though. Might have to rethink that round one...

    groveraxle: yep, our other rug was a 10x12. With the recliners back further I think we'll need the extra length :/ I think the room is about 19x20. I found this rug today and ordered it...it was 70% off at rugsusa so I'm hoping it works. I looooove the last rug you posted though!! Definitely keeping that in mind if I need to go to plan B.
  • 12 years ago
    Oooh, sphillips, is that the Rizzy Volare? I love the large graphic pattern. We'll see how it works in your space.
  • 12 years ago
    Looks amazing! I'd paint the beam the same color!
  • 12 years ago
    .
  • 12 years ago
    I LOVE that rug!!! :D
  • 12 years ago
    I think the rug pattern/colour on this particular rug is too large for the decor in this room.
    (not taking away from grover's skills)!
  • 12 years ago
    if you like the pattern of the rug you might consider something that is not so bold such as seen in these flat weave rugs(requires an under padding)
    this print size is more in keeping with the delicate floral design on yr curtains.
    Bogart Flat-Weave Wool Rug · More Info
Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County