Software
Houzz Logo Print
e2butler

Three different pieces of furniture in living room

12 years ago
I just bought a home and I'm going to buy all new furniture. Living space is smaller. Fire place is cati-corner and next to it will be a floating tv with rustic wood and iron tv stand.
My question is, can I have three different pieces of furniture is a room and tie it together. See pictures of the three pieces below.

A neural rug, beige walls with white trim. White stone fire place and medium brown colored hard wood floors.

I wanted a leather sofa because they last longer but I know cream colored upholstered sofa are very 'now'.

Let me know your thoughts of these pieces in my living room.

I placed the color swatches as well.

Thanks again for the advice!

Comments (11)

  • 12 years ago
    What look are you trying to achieve? The white chair and ottoman are quite a bit different from the brown sofa.

    Big brown sofas look great in showrooms. At home, in normal lighting, they squat in a room like gigantic dark brown things. YMMV depending on lighting in your new place.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    If you buy a good quality couch, it will last 10-15 years and by that time you are tired of it anyway. So I would expand my ideas to include more than leather if that was the only reason you were purchasing. If white chair is being used on a daily basis, it is going to get old fast. Have you already decided that a couch and a chair are the best arrangement for your space? What about a smaller sized l-shaped couch, or two loveseats facing each other, perhaps a couch and two small chairs, etc.. You may get some helpful advice from people if you provide a picture of your room, advise what your color preferences are and overall style.
  • 12 years ago
    I think the brown leather couch looks quite good. Check out leather sofas in the photos section of Houzz for additional decorating ideas. It will show many rooms with different furnishings. It really what you want in your home. The couch looks formal to me-old study look. Great if that is the look you are going for. With the right furnishings it can be a very attractive and rich look.
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you all for the comments. Here is a picture of the room from both sides.

    I was going for a old world rustic feel with the lighter pieces used to brighten up the space. As you can see I only have a limited space to work with and two focal points. TV has to stay where it is because there are built in speakers and entertainment wiring panel on that wall.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Great sofa, let it be the piece and simplify
  • 12 years ago
    Love the inspiration photo. What's different about the inspiration sofa and the sofa you showed first is that your sofa has loose cushions and bun feet and is very low (one toe?) to the ground. The inspiration sofa is a Chesterfield that is higher off the ground so it looks more graceful (and happens to be quite fashionable again). You can probably find one locally. The inspiration photo is also professionally lit by the photpgrapher and probably has a window or skylight in the high ceilings. You can use a lighter paint and change the window treatments. Would you consider adding a skylight or solar tube?

    I like your white chair and ottoman. They have great style. Perfect with a Chesterfield sofa, too.
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you for the advice. Love a chersterfield...they are just not comfortable.

    Finally should I have two matching oxford (pictured) chairs or just one oxford with different smaller chair?
  • 12 years ago
    I understand about the comfort level of Chesterfields. Have you tried out a lot of sofas yet? There's no substitute for 8 way hand tied springs in sofas or chairs.

    Either one chair or two would be fine, the ottoman helps make one more comfortable. Tape them out or use newspapers to judge size in your room and configuration for talking and tv.
  • 12 years ago
    Great idea to size them with newspaper! Thank you all..I think I'm headed down the right path now.

    I'll post the final choices once we move in next month.
  • 12 years ago
    You are getting comments on the duplicate thread also. May want to delete that one, after telling everyone what you're doing.