Software
Houzz Logo Print
gcmclean

Will this rug work?

12 years ago
Darcy Kempton conducted a consultation online with me this morning. She gave me a plethora of ideas, and got me pointed in the right direction. In my Living Room, she suggested a rug to transition the charcoal carpet to the warmer furniture colors. Please let me know what ya'll think of the rug I've attached. It's pricy, but looks very cool. Other options are a shag carpet. I like the thickness of those, and has a nice retro look to tie in with furniture.

Comments (12)

  • 12 years ago
    oh, the dimensions are 7' x 10'. It won't completely cover under the sectional and rest of living room, but I can arrange it where there's only a 4 - 5 inch edge of the carpet showing.
  • 12 years ago
    Hello Margo. I need to give you access to my ideabooks??
  • 12 years ago
    Margo, I've added you to my "Living Room" idea book.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    That rug may work well - so long as the main color is harmonious with the sofa color. Is it something you can look at in the home, and return if it's not ok?
  • 12 years ago
    I like the rug but I'm not a fan of rug over carpet. I think your grey carpet looks nice as is.
    Greg McLean thanked condomary
  • 12 years ago
    Michelle, can you see my "Living Room" ideabook? Condomary says charcoal carpet is fine without a rug.. Hmm..
  • 12 years ago
    Maybe window covering could tie your tan and grey together. Sorry meant to say that with other post. What other ideas did you get from your consultation?
  • 12 years ago
    I'm nowhere near a design expert Greg. Don't go by what I say, i'm only throwing out ideas.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    There is a difference in thought on area rugs on top of carpet. I think it's an east coast/west coast thing. In California, being raised on wall to wall carpet - area rugs on top of carpet is done frequently. I have a co-worker who was raised in New York City, and she thinks it's crazy. This may be a situation where you need to speak with the designer who you had the consultation with - because she knows the other recommendations she made. You don't want to get too many cooks in the kitchen. BTW - I agree with Darcy that a rug is a great way to marry your grey flooring to your sofa.
  • 12 years ago
    OK- I checked your ideabooks and I agree with condomary. I think adding a rug under your coffee table will be to busy, and take away from the design of the coffee table. I also am not liking that bookcase with that room, sorry. I agree with your dad about not putting art up high on the walls too;) This is all I can remember reading without going back to your books;))
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you all! So, I'll stand down on the rug for now, and focus on the walls. Yes, it's a compromise between professional suggestions, suggestions from friends and family, and ultimately, what speaks to me. As for dad, I'm going against two things he suggested. (and he's an artist btw). First, I "will" be using the high wall space. Please take a look at my Living Room ideabook. I've uploaded pics of the wall and also the "wrought iron climbing man" that I will hang there. I'll hang 4-6 of them at varying (but somewhat unison) heights. My personal impression is it's symbolism. It's someone climbing to higher heights. Constantly improving, learning, being a better person every day (like learning from you all here). Plus, it plays on the vertical shape of the space. Horizontal shapes would not work well there. And finally, it does not overpower the wall. Though something massive could go there, I think it's too high up for that type of application. Now Darcy suggested massive below. If you look at the photos, you'll see blue prepping tape, used to get a sense of what size would work on the blank wall at the couch. She said to "go big", so I'm on board with that. Thank you all for your suggestions. This is fun!