Software
Houzz Logo Print
chris_treadwell

What do I do with all these canned lights?

12 years ago
My wife and I are buying a foreclosure and renovating it before we move in. It is a modern house with rather strong architecture: it has a flat roof, floor-to-ceiling windows, and 8' ceilings. The modest ceiling height and sleek look of the home means that nothing hangs down from the ceiling. Every light is a recessed can.

The home was built in 1967 by some people with sophisticated taste, but then it suffered under second owners who made some bad design choices in their remodeling. The existing lighting is a mixture of original 6" canned lights with incandescent bulbs and new low-voltage pinhole cans. I counted over 50 recessed lights in the common areas alone. They are all controlled by a Lutron control system on dim-able switches with push buttons.

It is clear to me that the intent with the lighting pattern was a mixture of lighting "pathways" and lighting specific task areas. But the result is a whole lot of rather ugly ceiling acne. I just don't know what to do with it. I am overwhelmed with how to move them around so that: 1) things are properly lit and 2) so that the lights are in a "tidier" grid pattern. I am also working with a limited budget and want to move the fewest number of them as possible.

If anyone has any general advice or specific thoughts as to what I should do, I would be really grateful.

Comments (4)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    with a limited budget, you might want to try making lemonade out of lemons. consider yourself lucky to have recessed lighting with white baffles, so they don't stand out too much during the day. then use some type of paint or applied circular pattern on the ceiling. modern architecture views walls, floors, and ceilings as separate geometric planes, on which you can apply color and/or patterns separately to each plane.

    if you can afford it later on, you could removed the pockets of lighting and go with a linear lighting along the edge of the wall/ceiling in the hallways for a wallwashing effect. uplighting the hallways from recessed floor fixtures could also work. you have the modernity to explore newer options (consider commercial and/or landscaping lighting techniques).

    image #1 wallwashing with linear skylight.
    Lake Washington · More Info

    image #2 concealed lighting for the yellow wall.
    Buttrick Projects Architecture + Design · More Info

    image #3 most of the lighting is concealed in a ceiling reveal along the walls.
    Contemporary Living Room · More Info

    image #4 lighting in reveals, wallwashing and across the ceiling plane.
    master bedroom · More Info

    image #5 subtle geometric raised ceiling pattern in Traditional style.
    Traditional Bedroom · More Info

    image #6 geometric pattern on ceiling disguises lights, speaker, smoke alarm.
    Contemporary Kids · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Interesting situation. I suggest you bring in a couple of lightweight chairs and sit in each area there will be chairs or sofa in the future. Then play with the lights ( a remote control from your phone or ipad would be cool, check Lutron's website).

    It's very likely, looking at the pattern drawn, that the lighting distribution is actually excellent for functionality. Considering your budget may be high or low for this lighting situation, you may want to redo all the ceilings completely with new wallboard or simply replace all the bulbs with LEDs of the same brand and type for each of the 6" and the pinpoint fixtures. That way they will look the same color. You may also be able to get trim kits that make them all look the same size, even the pinpoint ones. Clean new white trim kits may be nice, or sometimes spraypainting them with white paint to match the ceiling will work fine.

    Design Freedom's suggestions are excellent.
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you both. I don't mind the look of canned lights on the ceiling; I just mind that they aren't in a neater grid. I redrew the pattern to be a little cleaner looking. Do you see anything wrong with this plan?
  • 12 years ago
    They can either be in perfect grids or they can spotlight particular areas such as sofas. You probably have both.