Software
Houzz Logo Print
ann_slatter

Not sure of how to decorate this one large area

12 years ago
We have purchased a house and are going to update it a bit. When you walk in the front door, you have a blank area to the right (that is the picture where you see a hallway) which could possibly be used for a seating area.

This house has no foyer and I don't like how it feels like you just fall into the house. I'm wondering if there is someway to use furniture to visually create an entry. (Sorry the only picture I had of the dining area from the front door has my mom in it). If I don't use furniture, how do I make it feel like you are entering into a warm, comfy home?

As you walk through the front door, straight ahead is the ugliest fire place known to man. We don't mind the brick but that tile has to go. I was thinking of having it trimmed out with white molding. And then I don't know what kind of furniture to buy. You can see that there are outlets built into floor. I was thinking of possibly going with a sectional. This is the only living area in the home - there is no formal living area.

The third picture shows the dining room that is adjacent to the living room. You can see from the ceiling that there is a natural separation but I'm not sure how to achieve that.

And since all of these areas open to one another, shouldn't I plan to have them all blend somehow?
The kitchen it what my mom is walking towards in the one picture. We are going to do granite and have the cabinets painted a cream color. We also will change out the knobs and window blinds.

Help!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz