Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8088471

Building a new home

12 years ago
Does anyone have helpful advice for a first time home builder? I'm becoming overwhelmed and we've just begun! I'm so nervous that I will make the wrong choices. We are building through our university's construction program so we are our own general contractors.

Comments (10)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Many similar threads already here on houzz. Try searching a bit.
  • 12 years ago
    Make sure the house structural elements are properly done - cribbing for foundation, exterior walls, etc. Do not choose the cheapest sub-contractors, check and call their previous work references and make sure that they have proper insurance.
    User thanked User
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    There must be an instructor for the university's building program?
  • 12 years ago
    I posted my question thinking I might see quick tips. I didn't pour even more hours in searching for a similar question because to be honest, I'm just overwhelmed and thought this may be a place to talk to unbiased people. Of course there is an instructor, and to think I haven't talked to him is just silly.
  • 12 years ago
    Watch some shows like Mike Holmes' various series on The DIY Network and HGTV. Also check out the shows were contractors go in a fix problems as that will give you a good idea of what not to do.
    User thanked hayleydaniels
  • 12 years ago
    Guts and bones are more important than fluff and fou-fou. Learn to prioritise a better SEER HVAC and higher R-value insulation over agonizing over decorative finishes. A granite counter and the perfect shade of gray doesn't keep you comfortably warm in the winter with a $100 utility bill.
    User thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    We are in the process of building too. In the process we looked at various builders model homes to help us with our choice. Make a list of what you HAVE TO have, and how long do you plan on staying in the house. Our builder gave us a budget and we choose to spend more on higher end padding than carpet.

    User thanked Theresa Gerstner
  • 11 years ago
    Congrats!
    Allow 10 to 15% extra in your budget for upgrades and changes.
    If you have access to an interior designer thru the university ask for assistance in choosing cupboards/flooring/trim etc...will save you a lot of stress.
    Include as much as you can in the build as doing it later doesn't always happen.
    You can never have enough closet space make sure you have allowed for utility closets on each floor
    Not sure if you live somewhere that has basements but if you do and plan on finishing it go with 9 foot ceilings you won't regret it
    Upgrade your flooring no matter what you use...will last longer and look better
    We get possession of ours next week we've had a great experience... I wish you the best!
    User thanked Andrea
  • 11 years ago

    No we are making the house more of an ADA/aging in place design. Single floor, no stairs, wide doors, roll in shower and chair height toilets. Lever handles, wall sconces. Don't want to be 80 on a 6' ladder changing light bulbs, lol. Hard surfaces for the floor, except bedrooms and part of the great room. No university designers here in Idaho Falls, ID.