Software
Houzz Logo Print
htabish

Need help selecting color for kitchen cabinets

12 years ago
I'm trying to update my kitchen by having the oak cabinets glazed. Its a rustic lake house (thats small & has open floor plan so you can see kitchen from front entrance). Any help on paint choice is welcome! I'm also going to change hardware and buy stainless appliances. Thx in advance!

Comments (21)

  • 12 years ago
    i like the green.
    HIL Tabish thanked bgfuqua
  • 12 years ago
    the walls in the rest of the house will be BM light pewter. i was thinking of painting the ceiling white dove! I'm looking for a fun color to add some pizazz. there really isnt much wall color given that one wall is a pantry and one is open to a dining area.
  • 12 years ago
    You have very dark counters and back splash - so I would say a white color.
    HIL Tabish thanked Angel 18432
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I like either the green or the white, and if the counters and backsplash are staying dark then I agree white would be the best choice.
    HIL Tabish thanked feeny
  • 12 years ago
    Also, this is becoming a pantry. any ideas on how to upgrade these doors? painted door? with or without glass panes? the one with the windows is going away - it will be open to a mudroom
  • 12 years ago
    All I see is magnets;(
    HIL Tabish thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    Yes! i was trying to disguise the dated white fridge with my kids' artwork. I'll get rid of the clutter, but I'm wondering if I should paint the doors a light color or upgrade the doors to barn sliders or something with glass panes maybe to open up this space? thanks!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    white or very light grey
    HIL Tabish thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    white or v. light grey for the doors or cabinets?
  • 12 years ago
    I like the green.
    HIL Tabish thanked Leslie Brooks
  • 12 years ago
    I like the white.
  • 12 years ago
    I agree-White or light gray/ putty. Kitchen is too dark to use any of those 3 colors you have samples of. Add color with a few accessories such as apothecary jars with lemons, oranges, limes etc
    HIL Tabish thanked dooders1981
  • 12 years ago
    I like a white.
    HIL Tabish thanked mkhodges
  • 12 years ago
    Willow Creek or Alaskan Skies by Ben Moore. CheerS!
    [houzz=
    Tailor Made · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Saltwater Pool House · More Info
    ]
    HIL Tabish thanked Natalie
  • 12 years ago
    Hmmm, the consensus seems to be white or something very light. i thought since the rest of the open floor spce is light i should do something fun. i'm looking for a contrast with the white walls and dark trim around windows and doors. its a lake house. thx houzzers- what a great group!
  • 12 years ago
    Well, the reason why everyone is choosing a lighter color is because the space is dark. I think you could compromise somewhere in the middle.
  • 12 years ago
    Hi again. If you were to change out your dark countertop and backsplash then a fun color would work well---right now, the floor and counter are dark-you need something light so the space looks less heavy. Paint the walls a soft blue/green-that's where you can incorporate the fun color.
    [houzz=
    Kitchen · More Info
    ][houzz=
    HGTV Showhouse Showdown · More Info
    ]
    HIL Tabish thanked Natalie
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I agree that you should go with a lighter colour on your cupboards and have you thought about painting out your trim? I think the dark colour is too high contrast and a bit dated. I think the room would be much more unified if the trim was painted a white or off white - especially if you go light with your cupboards. As for your pantry doors imo glass is not necessary because it's such a utilitarian space. I think if you have plain fronted doors you could either paint them the same colour as the cupboards or the same colour as your wall which will make them less apparent. Good luck and have fun with it, it looks like a very charming space.

    And if you are looking for a pop of colour I think that those wooden stools would be terrific if you painted them in your favourite colour or a colour that is found in some of your furnishings.
    HIL Tabish thanked laurielynne
  • 12 years ago
    Outlier here. I think any of the colors would work except the black. The ivory/ white looks pretty yellow and I'm seeing a pink undertone in the tile, so I am worried about that. I would put paned glass doors or use old screen doors on your pantry. Could you put glass on the upper cabinets or use open shelving and buy a white microwave?

    Photos are all from House Beautiful. First two are dark blue stained and the last is a green paint.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    For a lake house I like the "faded canoe green" in your first photo. And I HATE green...so if I like the green, it means it would be a lot of fun. My other choice would be the off-white/soft yellow in your last photo. What you will find is any of these colours are going to make the white appliances look very much out of place. The soft yellow even more so because it is just different enough to make you realize the cabs/appliances don't match...which can be annoying to some.
    HIL Tabish thanked Cancork Floor Inc.