Software
Houzz Logo Print
jmb22

Kitchen color redo

12 years ago
Just bought this home!
Need to make this kitchen work for about a year, then planning a renovation.
Was thinking of painting walls & cabinets. Hoping to use existing appliances for now.
Any recommendations for colors? We are going for a modern traditional look. Counters are white.
Thank you!!

Comments (14)

  • 12 years ago
    I think the kitchen looks nice and if you are remodeling in a year, why not save the money and wait. A year can pass fast. I know you want to keep the appliances, but I think it's the fridge that's throwing things off.
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Haley! Tying and thinking alike at same time.
  • 12 years ago
    Mine were similar, changed to black for a very up to date look.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Twice As Nice - In Santa Cruz · More Info
    Maybe something along these lines.
    Twice As Nice - In Santa Cruz · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    save your money - kitchen is fine for now.
  • 12 years ago
    I think there's a new mentality that you absolutely HAVE to renovate the kitchen and bathroom the day you move into a house no matter how nice it is. This comes from all the house hunting and flipping shows on HGTV and other channels. I gave up watching them as they offended me. People bemoaned these gorgeous homes as being 5 years out of style as they were completely renovated 5 years ago, and how can they possibly live with that?? It's sad, and leads to a lot of unnecessary discontent for new homeowners.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    i agree with grobby's comment about the fridge. i think if you just replace it with a stainless steal one to match your other appliances it would look much better. i dont think there is much need to reno your kitchen, it looks nice the way it is except for fridge.

    if you REALLY dont like the look.. then maybe in the future replace countertop with a nice quartz or granite. then repaint cabinets professionally with a glossy finish in a darker colour or white colour. switch out some cabinets for ones with windows if you think its too "heavy"

    but really its nice the way it is. lol
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    One more voice for keeping it as is, but possibly updating the fridge to stainless steel, just for consistency.
  • 12 years ago
    another vote for keeping things simple till you can do your renovation. New fridge you should be able to use in your reno. Even though this color seems fine, if it is not your taste, paint is inexpensive so no harm in changing wall color.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I agree with Jared Lewis Construction. Changing the wall color to a neutral will tend to make the space a bit more up to date and contemporary. Also a few clean lined accents pieces on the counter and large wall as well. The chandelier needs to go, maybe a large round drum shade
  • 12 years ago
    (The fridge does need to go.) If you're doing the painting yourself, yah, why not? It's fun to change up your look, even for a year. The black cabinets look cool and modern but I'd go for a fun color like lime green or something funky for the walls. Especially if it's only for a year. It gives you a chance to experiment with things you don't see as permanent and who knows? You may change your long-term design based on what you learn about yourself.
  • 12 years ago
    I thought it was going to be a before & after with this as the after pic. Keep it the way it is until you remodel. It definitely isn't offensive. I really like the wall color - it's calming, but if you want to change it that is really easy to do. I wouldn't bother touching the cabinets though.
  • 12 years ago
    I'd paint the walls a taupe color, get a new fridge. Then you just add some accessories.