Software
Houzz Logo Print
jojoma14

I can't organize this living space.

12 years ago
Hi, I want to buy some new things to make this 1-bedroom condo living area more organized and livable. I usually just leave my bike and other random things laying around. Got any ideas? I'm thinking of a larger TV entertainment center that would double as storage. The coffee table needs to go, but I don't know which new one to get. The shoe storage thing is bad too.

Thanks a lot for any insight.

Comments (12)

  • 12 years ago
    A few questions....Is this a rental or do you own it? How often do you use the dining table set for 4? Can shoe storage go into bedroom or closet? Is that a fireplace in the corner? Is that a deck or patio behind the blinds?
  • 12 years ago
    ^^^ and where is the front door? And what is behind the door next to the shoe storage? Don't worry about coffee table yet until you get a better layout.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks. I added a few more photos for context. My wife and I live in this 1 bedroom condo. We own it, so we can do anything we want to it except change the flooring. I used to have more things on the walls, until we repainted the walls abut a year ago, and since then haven't put much back. That is a fireplace. We rarely use the dining table. Out back is a little patio, with a storage unit to the left. The front door is by the shoe rack. I was thinking of moving he shoe to the bedroom. Perhaps getting a closet that can hold the shoes, as well as a hamper. We have a couple of clothes hampers laying about.
  • 12 years ago
    Small spaces take creative ideas to organize and then LOTS of discipline to put stuff away. And its a challenge to pare down to the minimum what you really need to still live comfortably! I'm just going to throw out some suggestions:

    I don't think you can do too much until you address the bikes, and i personally would not like to look at them constantly. i would recommend using JudyZs idea of hanging them, but out on the patio... lock them or whatever to secure them and/or cover them.

    Next, Is everything in the big shelf unit needed for your living room? Don't buy more storage pieces if what you're trying to store isn't absolutely essential to the room. (There's that discipline part! ) Can it be separated into 2 tall units or is it one piece.

    I know people on houzz do not like to recommend TVs above fireplaces, so i will probably get grief for this, but with your lack of space, I really believe it would help, as long as you keep it as low as possible.

    I would move the shoe rack into the bedroom. If its there because you remove shoes in the house, put a small basket next to the door for your slippers, where you can place your outside shoes when you come in. But don't let shoes pile up in it, take them to the bedroom everyday or so.

    What's in the mirrored closet in the dining space?

    Is that a printer next to the couch in the living room where an end table should be? Do you have/need an office area?

    Would you forgo the round table and chairs for counter height seating butted in front of your peninsula counter? If you ran more counter across the entire back wall from the existing counter to the right corner, it could give you more storage underneath, counter space on top for cooking and desk area in the corner.
  • 12 years ago
    For starters...Ikea has a shoe storage thing that looks like a narrow cabinet...would be nice with mirror above and small basket to drop your keys etc...I know how hard it is to break the habit of where shoes are left...
  • 12 years ago
    If you hang TV...will the book case unit fit on the wall that the TV is currently on?
  • 12 years ago
    Or...perhaps some type of wall bike hanger...if there is no way to put outside on patio...
  • 12 years ago
    If you rarely use the dinette table you can remove it. Then, how about moving your bookcase on the dining room wall? If you can DIY, you can add a drop leaf type table to the bookcase to accommodate two chairs, just in case. Then, you can hang bicycles on the bookcase wall and even add an accent chair floating there facing the FP and tv. It seems wasted space in front the of bookcase now.

    The Bike Shed · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    If you move the bookcase to the dining room, you can remove the lower left shelf and add a lidded basket to put your trash in and eliminate the trash can.
  • 12 years ago
    Replace sofa with one that has storage
    Aspen Black Convertible Sectional Storage Sofa Bed · More Info

    Agree with Darzy on moving book case. You may be able to put a long low media cabinet where the bookcase was, add a wall bracket to store the bike.
    Baxton Studio Basilio Dark Brown Modern TV Stand · More Info

    Coffee table with lift and storage. http://www.westelm.com/products/4566352/?catalogId=36&sku=4566352&bnrid=3918508&cm_ven=Google_PLA&cm_cat=Furniture&cm_pla=Coffee_Tables_+_Side_Tables&cm_ite=West_Elm_Rustic_Storage_Coffee_Table%2C_Small%2C_Raw_Mango_-_Maroon&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=32-396145515-2
    Drop leaf dining with storage
    Ridgewood Drop Leaf Pub Table w Wine Rack · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    If you remove the dinette table and put the bookcase on the dinette wall, I'd change out the chandelier to an attractive flush mount ceiling light fixture. Because, it will look odd to have a chandelier and no table below it an only emphasize it is off center if you put a small bistro table there, or even a reading chair/lamp there instead.