Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_5403727

Cemetery plot

12 years ago
last modified: 12 years ago
I know it's not for everyone but I thought I'd put it up here for those who'd enjoy noodling with it.

My sisters and I spend a lot of time here. The bench serves as a headstone for my parents. Mom is still with us. I couldn't talk her into being in the center of the family plot, so there they are at one end. I am a little embarrassed about the poem. We were tired and being silly and I proposed it in jest and Mom loved it and had it carved. She's also got a private message, slightly vulgar, carved under the bench seat!

Anyway, 25 feet away at the opposite end is her mother, where the yellow mums are blooming. Mom says she will defer to my sister and me on what Gram's headstone will be, except that it can't be as grand as the bench and that it should be the smallest headstone on the plot. My mother was not fond of her mother but wants something respectful and befitting our quirky, whimsical family. I have something in mind but couldn't resist putting it out here for you Houzzers. What would you do for Gram that would relate to the bench without upstaging it?

Over the next 30 years, probably 3 or 4 more headstones will pop up in between my parents and gram so feel free to design the whole plot if you like. Our long narrow plot is the second row in. The cemetery has no restrictions or guidelines but overall is quite conservative. We don't feel any obligation to keep with the conservative vibe.

Comments (10)