Software
Houzz Logo Print
onceupona3

I need ideas for chairs to go with a table i fell in love with

12 years ago
last modified: 12 years ago
Here is the table. Medium brown /w/ a golden swirling inlay and easily curving legs. I like the traditional, eclectic, mix and match type of decor. Ideas for chairs??? I wa thinking maybe a cream or white chair w/ upolstry and nice details but not too ornate. What d you all think?

Comments (20)

  • 12 years ago
    If you are looking to down play its formality, how about these chairs? Not that expensive and they offer a nice balance to the room.
    onceupona3 thanked mureen
  • 12 years ago
    Simplify the table display with this modern simple candle idea
  • 12 years ago
    mureen, I like those chairs, but I can't see who makes them (the picture is too small to read it). Can you share that information?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Hi alex511,

    If you put your pointer on the photo, it will enlarge automatically. If for some reason that doesn't work on your computer, the photo credit reads Baxter Design Group here on Houzz. The room is 1960's Malibu Inspired New Construction.

    Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • 12 years ago
    The chairs you have are so beautiful! What if you put 3 on each side and get some beautiful upholstered chairs for both ends of the table (I think they're called captain's chairs). It would be a shame to get rid of the chairs you already have. Maybe you can do that and change the upholstery on the seat part of the wooded chairs. Lovely set, make the most of it. Those chairs would cost quite a bit to replace. Good luck, Windy
  • 12 years ago
    I like Christi's suggestions in the photos from Thos. Baker. Here are some sources for similar chairs:
    http://www.pier1.com/Hourglass-Dining-Chair---Smoke-Blue-Damask/2644674,default,pd.html?cgid=dining-chairs
    http://www.pier1.com/Claudine-Dining-Chair-Parchment/2772470,default,pd.html?cgid=dining-chairs
    http://www.carringtoncourtdirect.com/detail.cfm?ProductID=46
    The last one, from Carrington Court website, is completely customizable with your fabric or one of theirs. All their chairs are. Check it out.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks so much for the suggestions everyone! So helpful and so much to think about! What do you all think about a set of oval backed chairs in distressed white or cream and upholstered in a fabric with cream and gold? Like this...
    by Good's Home Furnishings · More Info
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi onceupona3,

    Your post for Good's Home Furnishings didn't come through. Can you please try again?

    The Carrington Court website that Mick50 posted above offers custom options for chairs. The style of chair he posted would be lovely with your dining table.

    Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • 12 years ago
    Oops, let me try that again. Here are the chairs I love (equally in love with both but with different fabric) but i'm not sure if they'll work with the table...

    http://www.hickorywhite.com/catalog_detail.php?id=607&model=171-62# and http://www.hickorywhite.com/catalog_detail.php?id=222&model=131-66#

    I'm a little nervous about how they might look (or clash) with the inlay on the top of the table. I was also hoping to have the table and chairs a different color and/or finish. Here's an example of what I'm talking about (but with the above table...

    Traditional Dining Room
  • 12 years ago
    and to try that last one... again... here's the overall look i'm trying to achieve. A traditional but mix-matched type pf look all w/ a little sparkle :)

    Traditional Dining Room · More Info
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    We need a picture of the inlay on the top of the table to know whether or not it will clash with the chairs you love. It looks like you've found exactly what you want and have recreated your inspiration pic to the tea!

    Without seeing a photo of the inlay, it appears that both styles of chairs will work, but I think the curved legs in the second one are more complementary to the table. However, of the two styles, I like the first one the best. Sorry, I guess I'm not helping, am I?!!

    Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
    onceupona3 thanked Thos. Baker
  • 12 years ago
    here's a picture of the top of the table. Thanks for your help... I need all I can get. I'm way to indecisive and having to make the choice without actually seeing the pieces is freaking me out quite frankly!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    how about this?
    onceupona3 thanked BARBARA SCHAVER DESIGNS
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    That is quite pretty Barbara. I don't know for all the chairs but it's definitely a thought for the captain chairs. Where are they from? Maybe something like this along w/ oval-back chairs for the rest? Hmm?!?!?! Now I'm just creating more possibility for something to not match. Ugh.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Maybe you like this kind of style?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Hi onceupona3 -- your posts are so cute. I think you're doing a great job of recreating your inspiration photo, although I can appreciate how nerve-wracking this can be! You want the results to be everything you're hoping for -- not a disappointment or error in judgment.

    So, let's look at the facts. First, Hickory White is heirloom quality furnishings, so you can't go wrong there. Second, the table is beautiful, so you've got an excellent starting point. Third, the chairs your considering are equally nice, if not more so, than the ones that come with the table! So...on to the inlay!

    I think side chair #131-66 is the better choice because the gold finish complements the gold inlay. But the other one would work beautifully too! These chairs are detailed, but they're not as ornate as the chairs in the matching set, so you've already reduced the ornamentation of the chairs substantially. In your original post, you said you like traditional and wanted a look with nice details, but not too ornate and you've accomplished that!

    In order to achieve that mix/match, eclectic look you're after, you probably need to go with two wing back or high back chairs for each end -- something that's not an extreme departure from the look of the other chairs, but more transitional. This will switch things up and help you achieve the eclectic look you're after. I know...."now there's more to consider and the possibility of something not matching increases -- ugh!"

    You don't have to go that route. If you just went with one style of chair all around, it will still look fabulous. The two end chairs are just icing on the cake.

    The top left photo below is the Hickory White arm chair that goes with one of the chairs you've selected, which means you wouldn't have to worry about getting a poor match.

    Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    two more --- both have many finish and fabric or leather options. choosing one chair and using fabric combos (contrast outside back, for example) is a nice way of creating interest.
  • 12 years ago
    Onceupona3, I like the oval chairs you posted. They'd look nice with your beautiful table. If you do different captains chairs, I'd go with Christi's first photo, which has matching leg styles with the oval backed chairs.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    this is a very cool table that expands from 60" to 78" round. beautiful quality and value.