Software
Houzz Logo Print
cliff_means

New apt...please help with living room design

12 years ago
Just moved into new apt and buying furniture piece by piece; had ZERO furniture.

I have two pumpkin spice accent chairs arriving this week; TV to be mounted with mounted shelf (no entertainment set). I need a lamp table and sofa table. I'm going for a clean look.

Beyond that I'm pretty clueless as to what to do with the large amount of wall space (TV side). What items do you think should be place on that side of the wall; it's very bland and alot of 'land' to cover. I'm trying to think of ways to fill it up and add character. I still want it to be clean and not over saturated though.

Comments (156)

  • 11 years ago
    Throw pillows in pumpkin, white, black. This keeps accents bright and picks up you rug colors. Of course they don't all have to be together but keep this palette in mind when shopping.
  • 11 years ago
    I really like the wall color you have now but i agree it's pretty dark. I think if you incorporate the other color on all of the other walls it would brighten up the space and still give you the warmth and depth the deep charcoal color gives..
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Hi Cliff---be careful when selecting gray---that particular shade will go toward blue in your space. If that's your intention, then super. If not, then choose a gray toward red/purple. Hope this is helpful. :)
  • 11 years ago
    Also, I recommend painting test samples on the light wall to compare---after all everything will look light compared to the current saturated wall color. I'd like to see how close in hue your sofa is to paint colors 2, 3, & 4. If you're set on going with a cooler gray-I can offer some options, but it will have to wait until tomorrow morning when I have natural daylight to see. :)
  • 11 years ago
    Those two pumpkin chairs look lost, they would look better as dining room chairs. Could you combine them with a small table? I agree with one of the other comments that a large house plant would be a good choice!
  • 11 years ago
    @natalie Wow I love that last pillow!! (85 bucks is steep for a pillow though....I'll see if I can find something compatible before spending that.)

    I work again tonight so I prob won't paint until Monday. But I'm really leaning strongly toward the gray with possibly keeping one wall the dark color. It's tricky tho because I feel like 2-4 could bring a nice feel to the room as well; even up against the sofa.
  • 11 years ago
    @nicmic you're are correct about the chairs. I'm gonna work with them in the meantime until I replace them. They'll make nice in the foyer area....but for now, I'm happy with the arrangement. Paint job, pillows, art work, lighting, TV mount and decor (YES plant is great idea) are primary issues to tackle. Will address chairs last.
  • 11 years ago
    Lol now I'm leaning strong toward #3....ahhh lol. Just seems like it'll be really nice if the whole room is that color. The color sort of 'feels good'...like it has a warm touch to it. I almost feel like it would translate that vibe in the whole room. The gray is more cool and masculine but not as cozy. With my furniture selection and apartment layout, I prefer 'cozy' to current.
  • 11 years ago
    Pic of new color! Thanks guys for all the help!!!
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you @Elysia Childs for suggesting I paint!!
  • 11 years ago
    Lol I'm thanking everyone like I'm accepting a Grammy award here lol...but I have to thank @Natalie and @everdebz for all the thoughtful suggestions....and @groveraxle for the cool Adobe shots!

    Also, there is a cool app called 'paint tester' on iPhone that allows you to test paint colors in pics taken from your phone.

    Cliff
  • 11 years ago
    I like this color. Is it your final color? And do use the orange chairs. Just slant them toward your other seating area and they will go nicely. You should not have to pay $85.00 for any pillow unless it is made of solid gold!!!! Pick some up an sale some place.
  • 11 years ago
    'on' sale....maybe even a dollar store.
  • 11 years ago
    Looks nice Cliff---how do you like it?
  • 11 years ago
    Hey Sandra....yea this is the final color :)! I so agree....I'm surprised pillows are so expensive. I will bargain shop.

    Natalie, I love it!!! Good to have that feeling. I was so disappointed after last color.
  • 11 years ago
    Hey cliff, I forgot to mention, your place is coming along just fine.More than fine.
    Very nice and comfy looking.
    I hope you are enjoying the journey.
  • 11 years ago
    post us photos when everything is together
  • 11 years ago
    I guess I shld have posted on the other thread.
    What's going on.
    confusing
  • 11 years ago
    Hey Anne, yea I've used both at times for different input. I started them both around the same time....many of the same people commenting on both; so yea it is confusing. Sorry about that
  • 11 years ago
    Cliff, look at etsy.com for pillows. Also West Elm and cb2. They shouldn't be so expensive.
  • 11 years ago
    Also, it you have a local Home Goods, they often have great pillows for not too much. Oh, and World Market and Pier 1. There are lots of inexpensive and great pillows out there.
  • 11 years ago
    Hi cliff!
    I really like this color..it's warm and looks great with the rug. Home Goods is a nice store for pillows and checking in Marshalls and TJ MAXX won't hurt either. Now you can just begin to incorporate the really nice color choices into your accessories and it should all come together nicely. I'm really happy that you have found a color that you are happy with! It has to feel good to you more than anything.
    I'm excited to see your furniture now back in the space. It should look really great!
  • 11 years ago
    What do u guys think of this 40 X 40 ottoman (first photo) to replace my coffee table? (Coffee table is 43 x 27)....also, looking at second
  • 11 years ago
    I like the 1st one. Might be easier to move What color are you thinking? I like the darkness of the one on the right. It just looks a bit formal.
  • 11 years ago
    Will you be adding more lamps to bring out your beautiful color?
  • 11 years ago
    Yes I definitely need more light...I was thinking of a teal color or something neutral like cream or light chocolate brown. Just something I'm looking at right now. Not
    too into coffee table; hope to find some use for it.

    Right now I'm painting an accent wall in the foyer to place the bansky wall art.
  • 11 years ago
    Take a photo to post for us when you have it done. Anxious to see it. Loved that art piece.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I like the second one!
  • 11 years ago
    Hi Cliff!
    I think if you decide to replace your coffee table you may want to use wood ( there are many styles that would give visual interest; like reclaimed wood) or leather. If you get something upholstered be careful with color since you have a few colors now in the room. You may be able to use pumpkin upholstery for coffee table or even a couple of ottomans placed together. These can be moved around the room if you needed to. This color would also compliment current color scheme and pop on rug. You can use accents in your current colors on either wood or leather table to bring your room together.
    Everything is coming together nicely!
  • 11 years ago
    These are just a few things I saw that may work well with your color scheme. You don't have to get exact but if you play with the colors you have in your room I think it will look great. Throw pillows on sofa and your chairs. If you need to use your current table get trays and accessories to help build it out more. Saw some of the pumpkin colored pillows at world market.
    Hope this helps some.
  • 11 years ago
    I made a mistake centering....I'll have to fix the wall before re-positioning. But this is basically it.
  • 11 years ago
    The foyer area is huge and I don't want to put dining there....I'm looking to go with a bar....this is still a bachelor pad :)
  • 11 years ago
    I really like these elisya....I was also considering a solid gray with light blue and white patterned pillow.
  • 11 years ago
    I like the black & white ,The orange & white & plain any color. I do so love your main room and all of the colors & items you have selected. Love the color you painted behind the Billie Holiday painting. You really do have the knack for color choices. I' m anxious to see it put together once again (with more lighting, of course!).
  • 11 years ago
    Billie is too high (excuse the pun) unless you are a giant. I know the rule is center of art at eye level, but for art this large...

    Wall color is perfect!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    how nice!
  • 11 years ago
    This is in the entry where people will be standing. Do you still think it is too high, groveraxle?
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Grover is correct. Cliff, the center of the art should fall somewhere between 57"-60". Unless, of course, you plan on putting a high console or bench or something underneath---if not, it's too high. Hope this is helpful. :)
    [houzz=
    Entry · More Info
    ]
  • 11 years ago
    I plan on placing a bar there and wanted the pic to still be in view but I think you're right....looks much better on wall
  • 11 years ago
    I love the picture on the red wall. It looks great! A bar should look really good there but if you change your mind don't forget to lower the pic.
  • 11 years ago
    I think you may be able to work blue into your design but maybe use the colors you have in the room first and then sprinkle the blue in. You may find you like it; maybe you will want to scrap it..you have a ton of warm rich colors to work from though..
  • 11 years ago
    When you put a bar on the wall, then the painting should relate to that. You'll probably want it about 6" above the top of the bar. Don't get a bar that's so tall it pushes the painting to the ceiling.
  • 11 years ago
    A couple updates to living room
  • 11 years ago
    Hi Cliff and happy New Year to you!
    I love the new chair and pillows.. The color is great and the size of the chair is perfect.
  • 11 years ago
    Now you can take your time and find a piece of art for the wall that speaks to you...
    I also love using a throw on one side of sofa to begin to echo color on the space like the blue gray of your pillows or even an orange in the right color. It is a small way to layer your look with color and bring the punches of color in..
    Again I love the pillows and chair!
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks Elysia! I initially found some Great Wall art on How Chow but it was out of my range. I've come across some great 48x38 pieces on bigcanvas by Mark Lawrence. I'm looking to choose from his collection. Thank you again for the advice. A throw to tie in the blue more would be a great move.

    http://mobile.greatbigcanvas.com/category/emerging-artists/lawrence-mark/
  • 11 years ago
    Room looks great, Cliff. Nice job on the chair and pillows.
  • 11 years ago
    Cliff---Room looks Fabulous!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I think the key to designing an amazing small focus is to actually not focus on the fact that it is small. Great your dream space. Incorporate all the things you love then devise a plan to make them work with the space you have.

    I have an amazing blog post that I think may help.

    http://timothyriversinteriors.com/2015/01/19/decorating-a-small-apartment/