Software
Houzz Logo Print
cookiecrumbs

Help placing mirrors!

12 years ago
I need help figuring out how/where to hang this pack of three mirrors. Should I place them in a line vertically or stager them on the wall? Any other suggestions for the space? This is at the top of our stairs. My husband isn't quite on board yet with my design keep in mind everything still has the tags on it just in case! Thanks so much!

Comments (59)

  • 12 years ago
    I like your mirror. Just mount it about 3 or 4 inches higher over the desk. Move the flower in the pot somewhere else in your house and replace it with a large shallow deep-charcoal colored bowl filled with interesting twigs and branches and a cluster of red berries...just a touch of red! Replace the shade on your elephant lamp with a black or charcoal-colored shade.
  • 12 years ago
    Mirrors might be a little small and compete with all the different items in your picture. I think perhaps the table should be a little taller and anchored with something large (mirror, vase, lamp, etc...) thought this pic might help. Good luck!
  • 12 years ago
    How about placing them horizontally at eye level? Draws the eye across and fills the space with movement.
  • 12 years ago
    Wish I could see more of the space so I would know if there are doors and how big the window is. Is the window centered at the top of the stairs? I think you are trying to put too much into the space. KISS - Keep it simple sweetie! I am getting the idea that you are trying to do an Asian theme from your choices. First I would take the hassock away since it is too large for the table. You want your eye to go to one thing when you do these kind of displays. Pick your favorite thing in the picture and work around it. I think the table is too small and the legs are not strong enough for the things you have on it. The space between the top of the table and the window is too much. Get another table to start with. I love the elephant lamp and think it is a great focal point, keep it and work around it. The mirrors are too small for the size of the window. Too much little stuff. Make a statement. If you do keep the lamp, take off the cellophane as someone else said and hopefully there is a plug on the wall so you can put a 15 watt bulb in the lamp and have it on all the time. If you want to incorporate the color red do it with the silk flower arrangement. Get a piece of Asian art to complete your vignette. I don't think you should have mirrors at all since you already have a huge reflective piece (the window). Good luck, post what you do.
    cookiecrumbs thanked Renee Coursey
  • 12 years ago
    I think a colorful print or painting would suit the space better... the mirrors to me, are not uplifting in this particular spot.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    YOU MAY WANT TO RETHINK USING MIRRORS. The first rule for placing a mirror is what will it reflect? At the top of your stairs, the reflection will possibly be the stair rail and perhaps a wall. Not terribly attractive. You'll be wasting the space. I suggest a piece of artwork instead.
    cookiecrumbs thanked Robin Lechner Designs
  • 12 years ago
    I need help with finding large mirror for Mandela In living room
  • 12 years ago
    Take the plastic off the lampshade. I always think tall, short, long, and color when I put together a vignette. Don't have two items the same height unless you are doing a symmetrical arrangement, don't put a mirror opposite a door (who likes to be shocked by their reflection every time you walk in the door?), so put the mirror higher, lose the plant and get something shorter instead (about 1/3 the size of the lamp).
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks! I was waiting to see if I should keep the lamp before taking off the plastic LOL!
  • 12 years ago
    Trying to go for a transitional look and I am new to this style...I think I need to start over? or hire someone...this stuff makes my brain hurt :) Thanks for all the suggestions! Keep them coming!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    start over, "go big or go home." check what they reflect before actually placing them. that's what they are for.
  • 12 years ago
    Place the top and the bottom one vertically and the 3rd (middle) one horizontally next to the 2 verticals Then flip flop the lamp and the orchid so the lamp doesn't block the mirror arrangement. Going bolder won't help as your window is in the way. And YES, get that cellophane off of the lampshade.
  • 12 years ago
    I would get some cardboard (x3.) and cut each piece to the size of each mirror. Place tape on the back of them. Try placing the pieces in different patterns on the wall, so you can see what different options you have & how it will look. Try moving the table & the red bench in different groupings. This way, you will avoid excessive holes in the wall. Hope this helps!
  • 12 years ago
    Good idea Lisa.....
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I love a place to sit by the door. Can you move the ottoman off to the left? I think moving the table under the window with the lamp would look nice, and shed light on your accessories. Then move the ottoman to the left of the table and hang the mirrors, all three horizontally. Walla! An easy fix and no need to spend for anything extra! If you do add something, perhaps a couple of hooks below the mirrors and you will have a welcoming spot for your visitors.
  • 12 years ago
    What's the rest of room look like?
  • 12 years ago
    Place mirrors long way up wall side by side. Remove stool.
  • 12 years ago
    This is at the top of my staircase...doors to the right and the left into the bedrooms. No room to move the table right or left,must be centered in the middle of the wall where it is. Thanks!
  • 12 years ago
    This apparently is a landing at the top of her staircase....not a room. Let's just help her with the mirror placement. It's not like decorating an entire room. I like the stool. What would removing it do ???
  • 12 years ago
    I agree that this is giving me a headache. As I mentioned before keep it simple. Keep the lamp, get a little bit bigger table, change the flower color to red like the foot stool. If you get a bigger table then you could definitely keep the foot stool. Forget the mirrors, get a nice piece of art that has the colors that you like in it. Something you want to look at when you come up the stairs. Are you going to put any kind of window covering on the window?
  • 12 years ago
    You have a lot of windows, try art. Keep the table, you don't want it too big for flow of people.
  • 12 years ago
    a possible solution : paint the mirror frames red - make the lamp shade smaller and remove the cellophane - choose the orchids to be a shade of purple.
  • 12 years ago
    I also think the table (beautiful) would look nice directly under the window. It will create a clean simple rectangle shape on the wall simplifying the shapes. I can't tell what's around the window, how big the window is, or how big the wall is from the photo.
    cookiecrumbs thanked clinnyc
  • 12 years ago
    I don't think the space we are helping with is anywhere near comparable to the Spanish Colonial...
  • 12 years ago
    Ah! I see now (duh!) that your window is up against a doorway and you were trying to center the table to the wall. It is a horizontal space accented by your square window so you might want to use a longer narrow table (similiar style to your table) to center to that wall and then use the space above it to put art. Just keep in mind when you do arrange photos or mirrors (or a nice piece of tapestry, rug or quilt) that you compose it with the window as one of the elements of the wall. You might want to line up the top of your painting or mirrors with the top of the window frame or centered horizontally to the window frame. Lisa Rousan (above) had great advice about cutting out the shape of your mirrors to try out on the wall. You can do this with larger pieces too. It's going to look great when you're done. :)
    cookiecrumbs thanked clinnyc
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think if you move the table a little to the left and put just a beautiful clear tall vase with large branches in coral and creamy colors (as the ottoman underneath) with two silver figures according in scale with the vase, you crate a focal point.You have a window on one side of the wall so the mirrors will not be appropriate for the space that you have.
    I hope this help you
    cookiecrumbs thanked Divine Makeover
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi Cookiecrumbs, (I love that user name :.)

    I would recommend the following. You did not specify your space dimensions so there will be field adjustment required.

    You need:
    a console table: these can run from 30" and longer, 30" high, and 12" to 18" deep. One with a lower shelf would work best so you can add accessories and visually balance out your vignette. Your space seems like it could take 30"-40" in length and as narrow as needed not to block your path.

    Find or have framed a piece of art that mimics the shape and size of the window in a simple frame of the same width as the window frame. This can be a print, framed iron scrolls, etc.

    Then place your table. Hang your art. Return the things in the photo.

    Since your window is in the right corner near the door opening and you cannot block this opening with the console table, position the table so that it does not block your door and then hang your art piece so that it overhangs the left end table the same distance as the window does on the right end.

    If you have placed your table so that you have passing clearance at the door but you hit the left wall before the art can overhang the table as the window does then you may need a table of less length. This is where the field adjustment comes in.

    Place a lamp and accessories to balance out the top and lower shelf.

    With the arrangement suggested above I would not recommend wind curtains of any type as his will draw attention to the awkward placement.

    I know you have a lot of suggestions. I hope this helps some.
    Blessings,

    Clarice Booth

    Example consoles: Depending on width needed.

    http://www.kirklands.com/product/Ward-Mirrored-Console-Table/178495.uts

    http://www.kirklands.com/product/Christine-Brown-Console-Table/170492.uts

    http://www.kirklands.com/product/Cream-Medallion-Console-Table/178499.uts

    http://www.kirklands.com/product/Cream-Addison-Console/165953.uts

    http://www.kirklands.com/product/Brown-Etched-Console-Table/184838.uts
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would keep the mirrors. Maybe can be the beginning of a bigger project ex, wall of mirrors. using all shapes, around same size area or some smaller. or the 3 you have the 2 identical 1's place apart at least 1hand width apart from the square. Then leave plain with a single nice flower bouquet 9n table, or something helps stand mirrors out. Candles off 3 sizes, off set the mirrors using the dark earth tone of the mirrors. Find candles at pier imports, or old time pottery, Michael's crafts, or even Hobby Lobby. I would find 2 big ones with the match wood frame blened in some how around center, with other soft colors you ever seen the 3 big shades of color candles, Walmart carries them. Or just nice. oblong decor ball holder and variety of at least 3 round balls fit still color to bring your mirrors in to play. maybe 4 fingers apart, use the new adhesive wall decor between each mirror simple with a nice decor punch. and. on the table under mirrors. 2 nice "Book Ends" casing 4 books. Lowes has adorable, bamboo plants for luck asian plants just go in plant area they come in beautiful earth tones, pull the darkwoof frames out. Houzz has a display of wall of mirrors. I saw it in a new housing addition. I go to those and look at the model display for decorating ideals. They hire professional interior decorators, free to look, I jot it on paper, or cell phone photo, usually no one's there. plus gives something new to do on weekends. I love Home Goods. a beautiful plate decor or vases under neath they have unique gadgets for decor. Get a couple easels to match mirror frames place decor item on an easel under mirros be done less than $15-20.00 bucks.search these ideals on houzz mirror & sofa table decor see what you see. at Home Trends shop on line too. I bought 2 illusionanal flower stem vases. Take your husband mine got in the groove at Arhause furniture store. We look at table wall decor like they sell it. Don't always look for furniture in the store use the items they use to decorate with and purchase. people just look at the furniture. I look at wall decor, table ctr. pieces, bookcase decor, they use it to sell furniture you buy to make yoyr furniture pop. hope it helps. gina myatt@ fb.com or gina42107@gmail.com
  • 12 years ago
    hang the mirrors in a horizontal row just above the table. the ottoman/stool is too bulky for the small table. skip it & maybe use it some where else in your house. I would also like to see a simpler, chunky based lamp.
  • 12 years ago
    simply group the mirrors close together
  • 12 years ago
    The table just looks too short. You need one that at least is as high as the bottom of the window. Or place the table under the window but remove the red stool. The mirrors just don't work here.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Mirrors certainly help a home...high quality mirrors go a long way in any room or decor. I suggest looking at mirrors here: http://www.bargainbacker.com/Mirrors_c_4659.html
  • 12 years ago
    Well Cookiecrumbs... now that you are thoroughly confused... I would look for a wider console table that takes up more of the wall, without being too wide that it blocks the doorways on the left and right. Console tables are usually not very deep, so this would avoid sticking out too much into the top of the stair area. Take a look at this great sideboard Jennifer at Dear Lillie made- this would be perfect for your space- http://dearlillieblog.blogspot.com/2014/07/a-sideboard-for-our-kitchen.html. You could customize the size to work for you. Then I would find piece of art to hang t the left side of the table and then some smaller items to fill in the space between this piece of art and the window- maybe your mirrors? A taller lamp for sure, on one side and the orchid on the other side- perhaps a few family pics as well in between. Good luck and don't make yourself crazy- just study pictures you like and try to copy.
  • 12 years ago
    Changed my mind. Center the table under the window and keep the stool under it. But lose the lamp. A really nice flower arrangement with some red in it would be great. The mirrors just don't work.
  • 12 years ago
    Cookiecrumbs, I love everything you have there (I haven't read any of the other comments yet). But, You need to eliminate the 3 mirrors because 1) there are too many vertical things on your table. 2) There are just too many things about the same size. 3) All it needs is a larger mirror to bring it all together. The mirror should be centered and large enough to leave about 3 to 4 inches on each side and tall enough that it clears the other items and the bottom of the mirror should be somewhere in the range of 4 to 5 inches from the table top. Your choices for what you already have on the table top are great and appealing. And, I like the cube underneath. The cube color brings out the yellow on top.and the print on the cube adds more texture. You will need to center the table on the wall to the left of the window so the mirror frame does not interfere with the window. Also, the mirror frame should be Espresso or dark in color. I think what you have done is pretty. Just the 3 small mirrors need to go because they add nothing but clutter. Take care. Sadie
  • 12 years ago
    Your pic shows a lt of windows in hall. add art, no mirror.
  • 12 years ago
    So I have changed the whole thing according to many of your suggestions. Thank you so much. Keep in mind the artwork isn't hung yet so it will go a little higher. Give me some feedback
  • 12 years ago
    Love the art! Soft and looks like spring time. Don't hang the art equal with the window. Can you light the lamp? Make it a soft light low wattage. Good job!
  • 12 years ago
    So hang it just a few inches over the table? Thanks! I will put a low wattage
  • 12 years ago
    About 4" should be good, just so there is some visual separation. Another thing you could get is some beautiful silk flowers that mimic the art piece and put them on the left where the ball thing is. The flowers would draw the eye up into the art. Good work!
  • 12 years ago
    The art piece is not what I would have chosen.......not dramatic enough for my taste, but it's your home. I like the proportion of the new lamp. I would move the table six or so inches to the left so it's centered between the door frame and the window frame. Have the bottom of the frame about 4 to 6 inches above the table top. You have also removed the colorful stool. I suggest you place a large basket or something else to fill the empty space below the table to "ground" it. Love your little doggie.
  • 12 years ago
    Definitely looking for a piece for under the tAble that is more proportional than what I had (husband hated the ottoman) can't move the table left or right unfortunately I have entrances to the bedrooms on either side of the table. making progress!
  • 11 years ago
    This is just so hard! I had a sofa table in my entry and I keep moving everything around since I haven't got it quite right...I know what you are going for but it is still not grabbing me (I miss the elephant lamp!). I feel the artwork should be in a white frame? Is the black too stark being next to the window? I don't like the black of the frame with the wood of the table either. I don't think there should be any more than 3 items on the table since it is a small surface to work with. That's just me though and I wish you all the best on this!
  • 11 years ago
    Love your red pouf! Larger mirror or eat work and you are set!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    You had the most successful arrangement right from the beginning! The only thing that was not exactly right was the red pouf - and you have removed that now.

    The small mirrors are the best solution. The elephant lamp is great but needs to be placed on the other side of the table so that it is facing the center - not leading your eye off - which it is doing in this pix. Your orchid would then go on the window side of the table top. I could go into all kinds of explanations about why but will spare you that.

    Done, done, and done!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I think they are too small too! I like the idea of a larger oval mirror here.
  • 11 years ago
    Perhaps the mirror is just not what you need in center of table. A large vase with some tall florals with smaller objects on side or a grouping in the center
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Definitely stagger the mirrors. I think the lamp and the orchids are competing on the table. A taller lamp with possibly a broader shade will add some height. Put the lamp on the left and the add a small box with a graphic design or with some red coloring in it to tie the pouf with the rest. Then play with the placement of it all. That's the fun part.
  • 11 years ago

    Is this still alive?

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Well, it is an older post . . . Would love to see the final deal.

Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio