Software
Houzz Logo Print
msterling

How tragic would it be if this little bungalow lost its shingles :(

12 years ago
My 1935 workman's bungalow in coastal NE has cedar shingles that are in great shape but cosmetically are a lost cause due to paint failure. I have a quote for fiber cement board (smooth pre-painted hardiplank) that I can swing if I keep the original trim and just add plank. (Can't swing the $15-19K estimates on a re-shingle, hate the idea of painting every 4-5 years and vinyl just doesn't appeal to me). Questions: 1. Do you think it would change the look from bungalow to doublewide? 2. White too boring? The plank does not come in the yellow I like. 2. Should I risk the switch to fiber cement as there seem to be some failures being reported on chat boards by folks in NE? 3. Is it fatal to keep the old wood windows and add new siding first? 4. I kind of like the idea of having a cottage name sign . Please weigh in "tacky or not?" (It is not the general practice in our neighborhood. Any suggestions for names welcome.) Big plus on the fiberboard is that it would eliminate the age old question of "is that lead paint on your shingles? " Thank you!!! Thank you!! You are all so talented and creative I can't wait to hear your comments.

Comments (5)