Software
Houzz Logo Print
tpirie

Bachelor needs your help!

12 years ago
Just bought my first house and am experiencing decor paralysis. Please help!

As you can see from the photo I have a chocolate brown sofa and an orangish tan lounge chair in my living room (ignore any existing decor like photos and lamps)

What do I need to do/add to tie these pieces together? Can they even go together?

I'm wanting a warm homey but somewhat sophisticated feel. This room will be for socializing with guests. There are no electronics in the room (i.e., TV, computers)

My thoughts are to add a rug, coffee table and a lamp(s) and then paint but I have no idea what I'm doing or what colours to use for the rug or walls.

Please post your suggestions and ideas!

Comments (39)

  • 12 years ago
    i think a rug that incorporates a bit of both colors plus a neutral color would work well in tying those pieces together. can you post more pics of the layout? it seems awkward to have the chair backwards in front of the fireplace
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Congrats on your first home. One way to add some flare would be with a water wall. Definitely eye candy for socializing guests. See more at http://www.luxewaterwalls.com/

    28" Water Walls in Various Homes · More Info


    54" Wide Fountain in Various Homes · More Info


    80" Wide Wall Fountains in Various Clients Homes · More Info


    80" Wide Wall Fountains in Various Clients Homes · More Info
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Congratulations on your new home! The sofa and chair should be able to work together. Purchase a set of throw pillows and an accent pillow that include the orange tone and use them on your sofa. Purchase three neutral pillows in a great texture like mohair and put two on the sofa and one on the lounge chair. Because of the warm wood tone of your flooring and the brown and rust colors of your leather pieces, you should look into doing iron and glass cocktail and side tables. Adding another brown tone with wood tables would not be the bet solution for your room. Consider a rug that has either brown or rust accents but an overall contract color, such as sage. This will help give your furniture something to stand out against. Add a great accent chair and ottoman in a bold but sophisticated print. Finally, look at khaki greens or subtle burlap shades for your paint color.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    tpirie, more photos, please. We need to see all four walls (or non-walls) of the space.

    Your sofa and chair can definitely be tied together. Depending on the space, I would probably angle the sofa to face the fireplace, and put the chair at a right angle to it with its back to the wall.

    In the meantime, let me see what colors and accessories I can pull.
  • 11 years ago
    1. First of all anything can go together, look at what Mother Nature does. Read through all the suggestions, then proceed. 2. Go look at rugs, a bright large pattern would brighten up your space. Pick one that makes you feel happy. Be sure all your front legs can sit on it, preferably the whole pieces of furniture. 3. Get a pair of chairs in tapestry ( often has your light leather color or other print with rug colors, that you love. Have them sit near the wall at right angles to the sofa. 4. Place your single chair at an angle by this side of the fire and facing your sofa. 5. Be sure everyone has a table for their beverage. 6.Bring the entire grouping as close to the FP as possible. Go to overstock.com and you can find tables,chairs, lamps in any style you like. Surprisingly, there are many sophistocated tables, etc. for reasonable prices. Or you may want a tapestry ottoman to store a few things.Be sure to get different size prints, no plaids if you want it sophistocated. Or maybe you would like upholstery in men's wool patterns Irish knit pillows and a shag rug.Then take out the photos, etc and bring in large colorful abstracts for the walls.
  • 11 years ago
    Here are some looks for you. (Since you have no ideabooks, I haven't a clue what you'd like, so I went on my notion of what a modern bachelor should have.)
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Congrats on your new home! Consider reworking your fireplace, using warm wall colors and lighting. Maybe you could angle your sofa in the far corner w/the chair and putting a cozy upholstered chaise near the fireplace.
  • 11 years ago
    groveraxle, i really like the first option (top left pic). how did you take tpirie's picture and create those?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Placement of sofa using a screen behind it.
  • 11 years ago
    @mp1983, I use Photoshop Elements.
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you everyone for such great ideas and suggestions.

    Grover I love what you did using elements - was really hoping it was a free online design tool so I could fool around with other ideas.

    I guess the style in the back of my mind is something like a private social club. Something with the feel of The Harvard Club or similar.

    Here's a few other pics. Maybe this layout is better?
  • 11 years ago
    tpirie, no, that layout is definitely not better. Your fireplace is your natural focal point and so the seating needs to be centered on it. It's bedtime here, so I will work on your space tomorrow. In the meantime, if you could save a photo or three in an ideabook, it will give me more to go on. Look at living rooms, and I would refine by style--transitional, because I think traditional is going to be a bit too stuffy for you. Find something that knocks your socks off and save it to an ideabook. Then I'll try to make it happen.
    Some inspiration:
    Kensington Apartmentm · More Info

    Mill Valley, CA · More Info

    Regents Park · More Info

    Lindy Donnelly · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    If you were to consider built-ins this might be an option for furniture placement
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Hi---nice space. Definitely bring in a rug. I think a rich wall color (BM's Chelsea Gray), would make the space look more cohesive and serve a great backdrop for your art---perhaps an interesting wall mural (graffiti) could exist amongst the cityscapes. Hope this is helpful. Good Luck![houzz=
    Edina Cottage · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=] http://www.overstock.com/search?keywords=gray+orange+beige+rug&TID=NR:DIDUMEAN#quickview=7714441
    http://pixersize.com/wallmurals/0164f-58987221
  • 11 years ago
    Here's another angle.

    Really loving the suggestions and ideas so far. Please keep them coming if you have more :)
  • 11 years ago
    Get an area rug. Try floating your couch in the room at an angle opposite your fireplace. Put the chair on the wall next to your fireplace. You can dress up the back of the sofa with a narrow sofa table.
  • 11 years ago
    @groveraxle this is fantastic! Thank you so much!!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    You need a rug to tie the two pieces together, it can be done. Needless to say you need a plan with all the pieces so you purchase items in the correct sizes. Is there a local pro who can do this for you? It is worth the small investment.
  • 11 years ago
    I realize this is getting off topic but I truly have no idea how much a designer/decorator would cost.

    Do I simply say 'here is my room and here is my budget?'

    Do they work their fees into the budget?

    So they shop for me?

    Like I said. I have no idea what is included in their services.
  • 11 years ago
    Another view. BTW, your farmhouse table and chairs don't go with your Harvard Club vibe at all, so I sold them on craigslist. Sold the light, too.
  • 11 years ago
    tpirie, designers have different kinds of fee schedules. It would be something you would discuss and negotiate. If you are totally at sea, call a few and interview them.

    I, OTOH, am free.
  • 11 years ago
    OK, I see from your photo of the dining room that the rug is not going to work on an angle. The furniture might, but the rug will not.

    Let's see if I can straighten the rug and replace your dining set with something more suitable.
  • 11 years ago
    @groveraxle. What colour of paint did you incorporate?
  • 11 years ago
    groveraxle, you are amazing! not just the Elements skills but the design. love love love it!!!
  • 11 years ago
    tpirie, I don't know what the paint color is. I just manipulate color till I get one I like. But I can tell you it's a warm gray, maybe something like BM Revere Pewter, maybe a little darker. You still have to get samples and bring them in the room because your light will determine what the paint looks like.
  • 11 years ago
    Oops, forgot the link for the light. It's from Restoration Hardware, too. Just realized you're in Canada, yes? Do you have Restoration Hardware there?
  • 11 years ago
    Yes restoration hardware is in canada
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Congrats on your new home! What do you think about our examples for you're living room? Groveraxle, your ideas are great!
  • 11 years ago
    What a fun space to furnish & live. I wrote before, but have additional thoughts.
    Love the book shelves there to balance the fireplace and picture above. I would like your bar under your cityscape & if there is room, a small table with 2 chairs for sitting, drinking, socializing and/or reading behind the sofa.
    Experience speaking:
    Don’t bring in a huge space robbing screen unless you want a small store room behind it.
    Don’t build a tall dark fireplace. I lived with one once and spent the entire time trying to brighten, warm up & enliven the room.
    I have a small fountain. DH loves it & always turns it on for company. As soon as I can, I turn it off. It soon becomes like water torture for me.

    I have to say “The photo groveraxle found from Mill Valley CA is about as wonderful as it can get.” The hassock makes the room. If you can splurge on only one thing, splurge on it. Place it facing the fireplace and build the conversation group around it. I would also gladly replace the orange chair to achieve this look. Every detail is great, even the twist table and boxes are subtle near matches to the cow hide color.
    NOTE: Eclectic style with a myriad of wonderful items with beautiful textures that make up a warm, interesting and, in this case, sophisticated room:
    1 cow hide hassock 2 plain velvet looking rug under the hassock won’t steal its thunder 3 books 4 rattan chair placed in in the archway is almost invisible it is so see though - something rattan is a must for this style 5 chrome floor lamp 6 twist table 7 fruit & bowl 8 picture with wood and glass 9 leaves in crystal 10 different metal floor lamp & shade 11 mirrors and painted texture frames 12 fluffy pillows 13 soft sofa, in your case leather sheen. Thankfully, it is brown not black 14 wrought iron table with: orchid, wooden boxes, crystal, book 15 I imagine there is another lamp at this end, because even the plants and crystal are balanced from one side to the other 16 the chocolate and white are scattered throughout to keep your eye moving and exploring
    Very interesting to have such sophisticated balance and a casual homey feel simultaneously.
    Use your orange chair with a darker cow hide hassock. However, No matter how you try to tone down the orange, it will always steal the show. Or you could use it in a cozy reading corner by the book shelves with a simple black & white picture with wide white mat (see Mill Valley) hung on the front of a shelf) . Put a tiny table by it for your drink, a good 3 way floor lamp, hassock, and a dark chocolate throw tossed over the chair back, allowing just a bit of the orange to peek at you.
    Hang the gorgeously designed mirrors above your long bar. They too are important parts of the décor.
    I am not certain of your space, but perhaps there is space for a dining height sofa table with two armless chairs pushed under, that match your dining chairs (get a dining table that has a leaf or seats 6 for a small dinner party), under it for seating to snack while you watch a game or movie. Otherwise, ite could be used for a pair of reading lamps instead of floor lamps. If you choose table lamps, put a statue or beautiful bowl, etc. in the center.
    This is one of very few brown rooms that are not boring from all their sameness. I want this room. The exciting part will be collecting all the ingredients for your yummy room. Have fun and enjoy.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    not so lux, but here it is in neutrals
    http://www.jcpenney.com/for-the-home/home-decor/jcpenney-home/jcpenney-home-irregular-blocks-rectangular-rugs/prod.jump?ppId=pp5003590690&N=1407&searchTerm=area+rugs&topDim=Color&topDimvalue=brown&dimCombo=Color%7C&dimComboVal=brown%7C¤tDim=Color¤tDimVal=brown&catId=SearchResults&_dyncharset=UTF-8&colorizedImg=DP1118201317054559M.tif
    jamesthomas, LLC · More Info

    Katerina Tana Design · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    1 3/8 inch shag with bit of glimmer? but reminds me a bit or your cityscape..?
    http://www.jcpenney.com/for-the-home/trending-now/rustic/american-rug-craftsmen-shimmer-shag-rectangular-rugs/prod.jump?ppId=pp5003961048&N=1407&searchTerm=area+rugs&topDim=Color&topDimvalue=brown&dimCombo=Color%7C&dimComboVal=brown%7C¤tDim=Color¤tDimVal=brown&catId=SearchResults&_dyncharset=UTF-8&colorizedImg=DP0508201418250054C.tif
    Downtown LA · More Info

    Sterling Industries Old Tom Morris X-8452-78 · More Info

    Masculine Lounge 2 · More Info

    Transitional Living Room · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    What color/s in your curtains? possibly a smaller version of?
    Bartram Stripes Pillow Blue Brown 18"x18" · More Info


    herringbone in blue, brown, gold:
    Sophia Gold Honey Herringbone Throw · More Info


    baked clay? / they sell microsuede 'everywhere'
    http://www.jcpenney.com/shops/doorbuster/for-the-home/nouveau-suede-decorative-pillow/prod.jump?ppId=1d46bf6&searchTerm=gold+throw&catId=SearchResults&_dyncharset=UTF-8&colorizedImg=0900631B81D33F6FM.tif
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Shopping can be fun // Do they understand this at Harvard? I don't, help me....!!

    Brown and Yellow Number Games Pillow. Polyester Velour Throw Pillow · More Info

    Lodge Stripe Wool Throw, Coffee and Natural · More Info

    Empire Bee Cushion · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I'm like a librarian for houzz - I like searching! so here's for accent wall if needed, by dining etc. which often seems plain....which city is on your wall?? signed, Deb
    Vintage Masculine London Map Wallpaper - Parchment · More Info


    enlarged pattern in neutrals?
    Sphinx Stella 3165E Multi 6'7"x9'6" Area Rug · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    Look at the Oct 12 comment from Luxewaterwall - re-look at the links to room photos provided. For the rug, I like the third one. Or, if not using a rug like that, I like the colors in that rug with the couch and chair that you have. All of these rooms have the colors you have right now, plus some additional ones. (You have to think of your orange-ish chair as the wall or table color in one or two of the photos.)

    If there is enough space, I agree the couch should be placed directly across from the fireplace and the chair at a right angle to it. Love the idea of wrought iron tables or even some made of another metal. There should be one more chair. Legs showing and lightweight enough to be moved over to the bookcase/desk wall, see next para.

    Where you had the couch originally should be treated as a separate, but associated space. I like the idea of bookcases, but would also like a drop down or other narrow desk or table there. A place to use a laptop, write or whatever. That's where the lightweight chair would sometimes be used.

    Are you familiar with Pottery Barn? Check their web catalog. They have many lamps, rugs, pictures, tables, accessories that would work with what you have. The room photos will provide many perfect options.

    Finally, I think the wall of the fireplace should be painted an accent color. The outer part of the recessed area,where the bookcases and desk or table would be, should be painted the same accent color. The key to which accent color should be used will be found in a color from the rug or art you select.

    I am NOT a trained designer, so perhaps other suggestions may work better!
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Shag rug like I posted and map like someone else did....but I looked again, to me it looked like a map /// here's our Flag!
    Living Room · More Info

    Traditional Home Office · More Info

    another sphere chandelier
    Fair Winds Farm · More Info

    hat pendant for hallway?
    Main Line Carriage House Renovation & Addition · More Info

    funky
    Beach House · More Info

    Wickets · More Info