Software
Houzz Logo Print
jodieol

Need help with Exterior

14 years ago
The exterior of our new home is almost completed, but I'm not too excited about how the elements all came together. We have James Hardie iron gray siding, monterey taupe shakes and black rundle limestone. While changing the stone or siding is not an option, are there any suggestions as to how to improve the look. I'm wondering about painting the shakes iron gray as well. I think the shakes next to the stone is just too much texture.

Comments (18)

  • 14 years ago
    Here's an exterior with almost identical stone. Notice that the shakes on this home have a darker finish and the texture and contrast are more subtle.
    Lake Keowee: Smith Private Residence · More Info
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Hi jodieol, I agree with painting the cedar shakes since the entire facade reads as one monotone surface, perhaps something with a hint of yellow would contrast nicely with the grey hues of the house.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    I would go with white on the gables or pick out a light grey from the stones. I think the iron grey might work or will make the house look dark. Are you going to paint?

    Remember too, that you have no landscaping now and the house will look a lot different with a green lawn and a colorful garden. Maybe you should hold off for awhile.
  • 14 years ago
    HI -- I see it all the time -- new home jitters . The house looks great - if you start finding things to pick about - it will be one thing after the other. The colors are fine - changes will just make it look cookie cutter and bland. WAIT , until it's finished with the landscaping. Plant lots of trees etc. Plant trees that have white or showy barks and some evergreens for winter interest then I think you will love the exterior when it's all done. Make sure you have a beautiful seperate walkway to the front door. I hate it when you have to walk on the driveway to get to the entrance. It's a beautiful house !
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I think the house looks good. I am not sure of how I feel since the photo you took the front is all in shadow. Does the front get sunlight? Would you be able to take photo with sun on the front? That would give us a better definition of the stone and paint colors.
  • 14 years ago
    I'd paint the garage door some color that blends/matches with one element of the rest of the house. Then think about emphasizing the front door with a color that pops.
  • 14 years ago
    I think painting the garage doors would make it too monolithic.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I would build a trellis over the garage where the belly band is and grow some climbing plants on it. Adding nature helps break up the lines and connect the home with its environment, and it will function to supply needed bulk to the belly band area to compensate for the size of the garage that makes it less proportional to the rest of the home's dimensions and a little too monolithic. Adding a window with trim up in the gable/shake area would break it up and give it more "human" appeal. The colors are a bit drab, as well, but that can be such a personal choice that I would have to look through your ideabooks to help you on that one. Good luck!
  • 14 years ago
    I agree with the person who suggested that you wait. It's kind of like when you paint your living room a new color--at first you panic and think you've made a huge mistake and want to change it right away. Live with it the way it is now, and you might be surprised how well you actually like it, because I think it looks great.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    the garage doors should be played down..............paint dr grey and add the climbing plants ........ however I would get a better pic with more light on the house before doing anything................
  • 14 years ago
    I think you should paint the shakes, but like some others have suggested, DONT PANIC, wait a bit and maybe you'll change your mind once it's finished. I could see a slight olive/grey looking good on the shakes too.

    Was also thinking how good some galvanized warehouse lights would look above your GORGEOUS GARAGE DOORS!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    michigammemon - Love your photo - all blends nicely together!
    Adding trim to your garage doors will adding interest, depth and curb appeal.
    Nice home!!!
  • 14 years ago
    I don't think the garage doors should be the focal point. You don't want your garage to be the first thing everyone notices. Your front door should be the thing that stands out the most, because that is what welcomes people to your home.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    jodieol did not ask if she should paint the garage doors. They may be prefinished and not worth painting or not in the budget to be repainted. She asked about colors on trim and shake and the texture of shake and stone. Please research garage doors on Houzz and you will find many that are both beautiful and emphasized.
  • 14 years ago
    I think the siding, shakes and stone are lovely. Perhaps painting the trim a color (yellow is lovely with greys and taupes), and your front door would give it a pop.
  • 14 years ago
    Looks beautiful! But like some have suggested, wait a while to feel more lived in and you'll appreciate it better. You may find you won't have to do a thing! The lighting, landscaping, and just life in and around the house still have to be added. While waiting, consider putting a faux circular vent on the larger gable above the garage at a later time to break up the texture difference and provide more subtlety between the shakes and stone. It is only most noticeable in the photo where you just see the three garage doors together. But that's not how you see the house when you are driving down the street -- you see the whole house and appreciate the beauty all together, complimenting one another. Good luck!
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks everyone for the ideas. I agree, I think that we should wait a while, until the landscaping, driveway, sidewalk are finished before making any changes.