Software
Houzz Logo Print
emsue81

Tile backsplash for kitchen - stainless steel?

11 years ago
We are currently renovating our kitchen. We have oak cabinets (in the pic, the darker shade, we are staining the rest to match), stainless steel appliances, and our granite countertops
will be Oyster Pearl. We will also have a stainless apron front farmhouse sink. We were thinking of doing a stainless steel subway tile backsplash under the cabinets and behind the stove. Will that go with the look of the kitchen, specifically the granite and cabinet colors?

Comments (24)

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I like the stainless with the granite or the granite with the cabinets but I don't like the stainless backsplash with those cabinets the stainless backsplash needs a white or grey more modern look cabinet. I would go with a nice stone backsplash that goes with both.
    emsue81 thanked Grout Works of Central NJ
  • 11 years ago
    I'd pick a very pale grey tile. Maybe black or stone grey. Any color from the granite.
    Don't like stainless with the oak (especially not with the door style).

    If the doors were flat, sheet stainless would be ok, but they're not.

    Tarrytown House · More Info

    https://www.houzz.com/photos/1910-foursquare-kitchen-craftsman-kitchen-portland-phvw-vp~11720120

    Striking a Balance-Kitchen · More Info

    Craftsman Kitchen · More Info

    Cherry Kitchen Cabinets | Rockford Door Style | CliqStudios · More Info
    emsue81 thanked rinked
  • 11 years ago
    I agree with
    rinqreation . I really like the tile in the Craftsman Kitchen.
    emsue81 thanked Mark
  • 11 years ago
    Ok, thank you so much for the advice! What are your thoughts on a gray glass subway tile? Or like some of you suggested, would the gray stone be better? Here are a couple other options I found. What do you think?
  • 11 years ago
    I agree, I really like that gray tile in the Craftsman Kitchen!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I like the lite gray tile, stone or ceramic. Select a tile that is not busy. Stay away from the mixed material tile, it's very busy and getting too old.
    emsue81 thanked FK Interior Design
  • 11 years ago
    The smoke grey glass is pretty, in part because it has a matte finish. You could buy one from Lowes and hold it up to your granite and cupboards -- might be a bit dark, and you might prefer a pale grey tile.
    emsue81 thanked acm
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Since your granite has a lot of pattern in it, I would choose something simple. I agree, the mosaic (mixed material) is too busy and will compete with the granite.

    The Smoke Glass tile (Allen & Roth) is pretty, but I agree, it might be too dark. The Storm Glass tile (Elida) will appear similar to the Craftsman Kitchen photo above. The light gray color is nice and will provide needed contrast between the cabinets and the counters.

    Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
    emsue81 thanked Thos. Baker
  • 11 years ago
    Ok, went to the Lowe's tonight! Found the Allen & Roth smoke glass tile. What do you think?
  • 11 years ago
    Here are the granite, A&R smoke tile, and the cabinet color (the darker stain) side by side. Is the tile color enough contrast?
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    If the color on my monitor is correct, and the tile is the color in the picture where you have it in the "palm" of your hand then yes that would go nicely with your counter. Of course you should take it home and see it in your lighting and against your counter. Good luck
    emsue81 thanked Mark
  • 11 years ago
    Bring home a sample. Seems to match on my screen. Light grey grout. Looks good to me.
    emsue81 thanked rinked
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    The sample of A&R Smoke that you have in your hand looks lighter and more grey, while in the other photos it appears more brown/taupe. Either way, it's a very nice match with your granite and I agree, a light grey grout would be the best choice.

    As far as contrast between the cabinets and counters, if it's more on the grey side, that would be best. If it leans more on the brown/taupe side, it will still look nice, but there will be a little less contrast. The affect will be to make your kitchen feel a smidge darker overall, but not enough to worry about.

    Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
    emsue81 thanked Thos. Baker
  • 11 years ago
    Granite was installed!! Wahoo! I think the A&R smoke tile should go...what do you think?
  • 11 years ago
    Sneak peak of the Allen & Roth smoke tile!
  • 11 years ago
    Good Luck with your renovation, it looks like it is coming along well!
    emsue81 thanked backsplashideas
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    love that glass!! looks great
    emsue81 thanked DirectBuy of Fort Worth
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks!! Getting closer!
  • 11 years ago
    I'm about to install this same tile in my kitchen. I'm curious which grout color you used? Thanks!
  • 10 years ago

    How about a finished picture?

  • 10 years ago

    What color grout did you use for the backsplash with the
    allen + roth Smoke Glass Wall Tile? How thick was your grout line? Looks great!

    emsue81 thanked Alysia
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks! :-) We used the color Alabaster for our grout, I believe. I'll try to take a pic to show you the grout line. I'm not sure exactly how thick, someone did it for us, but I know when we discussed it with our guy, we asked him to do it as small as possible! I absolutely love the tile and grout, we get compliments on it all the time!

  • 10 years ago

    So sorry! I'll post a finished picture soon! We had a baby soon after we moved in, it was a bit of a busy time! ;-) The grout color we used was Alabaster. Looks great!!