Software
Houzz Logo Print
nico1026

Need help with small octagon dining room

11 years ago
My house is a 1930s dutch colonial, and we wanted to keep the charm of the original layout, though now I'm regretting that decision a little... Oh well, too late so could use advice from the experts on Houzz!! My dining room has 3 doorways, it's an octagon, it has a radiator under the main bay so we did a bench across it. It's sunny, has a nice view of the yard, so it should be a lovely room, but it just always feels cramped and unwelcoming to me. I was thinking that I should: 1) get rid of the buffet, 2) get a bigger rug, 3) add some art to the wall where the buffet is now, 4) decide on window treatments :)? My husband would probably do wainscoting (though he'd want to kill me). Do I need a different table? Do I really need to get rid of the buffet? Is my chandelier too small? Is it boring? I really like simple decorating, and I would love to have this room feel intimate but also a place where people will want to linger vs. get claustrophobia. What do you think?

Comments (17)

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I agree you are on the right track...a round rug...love the wainscot idea, it would be nice to move the buffet as it does take up alot of room. I like a crystal chandelier...more classic no drum!
    nico1026 thanked Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks Clay and Vickie for the help (and support)! I think it's clear I need to get rid of the buffet. I like the idea of a mirror and playing up the round theme with that + rug. Great suggestions. Here is a picture this time w/ the chandelier - it is in fact crystal. I was considering a drum shade but I couldn't figure out the right color. I just love the one hanging, but I'm now wondering if it's too small? The table is 54" round - the chandelier is 22" at its widest point. What are your thoughts?
  • 11 years ago
    The chandelier could probably be a few inches wider but it looks good as is. One of the reasons I suggested a drum shade is that it tones down the formality of your dining room. If your goal is to achieve a simpler and inviting design, switching the room from true traditional to transitional (25% contemporary and 75% traditional) will create this atmosphere. An off white drum or something that resembles the colour of your dining chairs will look great. I always think of light fixtures as the jewelry of a room. They tell your guests a lot about your personality and style. Best of luck!
    nico1026 thanked Clay Aragon
  • 11 years ago
    I think that you have a very welcoming and lovely room :)

    New England Colonial Revival · More Info
    nico1026 thanked Geneviève
  • 11 years ago
    You could get a different rug perhaps and see how that will work for you
    8' 1 x 8' 1 Classic Agra Octagon Rug - SKU #33102728 · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks Clay - I think that's great guidance. I love your ideas. I need to figure out where to find a smaller console table - the one in @Genevieve's pic looks fantastic!
  • 11 years ago
    @Genevieve - love that picture - I would be swooning over a room like that :) Thank you for the inspiration!
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I think you room is lovely and doesn't feel too tight. especially given the multiple doorways and large windows. I wonder if you might miss not having a buffet for practical reasons, as well I think it works well there. If you do want to make changes....to lighten that wall up a bit to make room feel larger you could edit the accessories - perhaps crystal lamps on both sides and a lighter looking mirror. You could consider whitewashing/distressing the bufffet, which will make it feel even lighter. I might take away the two single chairs and add some pillows on the bench..it will make the room feel more inviting and add roman shades as your window treatment. I wouldn't add wainscoting, as there are too many openings/windows and it may feel too busy.
  • 11 years ago
    Does it have to be a dining room? I'd love to make that a sitting room, coffee reading with that great light. If u need it as a dining room, suggestions good- keep chandelier! Would wainscot enclose room, be too busy?
  • 11 years ago
    Maureen you're so smart :) I will definitely need a buffet - we use it a lot as a sideboard and I of course have a bunch of crap stored in there.... maybe I will try to chalk paint it and see if that helps the visual weight. I can also add a light round mirror. If it doesn't help, I'll search for a more dainty sideboard.... And YES to pillows on the bench! I'm looking for some roman shades also so that should help. I feel like I like the stuff I choose, but have such a hard time with balance and scale - I'm a geometry dropout :)

    You guys all have such great eyes for it. I'm amazed by you!
  • 11 years ago
    @mareve you're reminding me why I sometimes regret keeping the original floor plan - the room would make such a cute sitting nook but it's the only place to eat except for my little breakfast nook in the kitchen :)
  • 11 years ago
    Your room is lovely. I think color would help. The rug Genevieve suggested would look great. Get custom roman shades (try theshadestore.com they send free swatches and are very helpful) so you can choose the fabric you like. How high off the table is the chandelier? Maybe bringing it down a few inches will help. Maybe paint the buffet the same color as the wall or just a shade darker so it blends into the background. I have that same rug that you have now in a bedroom, it is a pain because it is always moving and looks wrinkled. It must be especially hard to move dining room chairs on it.
  • 11 years ago
    May I ask where you purchased/manufacturer of the dining tables and chairs? I'm looking for something for a smallish dining room.... Thanks!
  • 11 years ago
    @tabelle - I got the table from zgallerie but it was ages ago. It's a 54" round. Its held up really well but we had glass made for the top when the kids were little... I was recently looking at their Archer table but it has a different base style. The chairs - these are the Lydia chairs from World market. If you're looking for this nailhead style on a budget Theyre great - so comfy and low profile - I just wasn't sure what to get so decided not to spend a ton. It was a good decision for me :)
  • 11 years ago
    @jck910 that freakin dhurrie rug is the bane of my existence :) I'm a tailored style kind of girl and cannot believe how awful it is to coexist with a constantly rumpled rug. Dogs also hate it and still slide all over it even w/rug pad and rug tape... Hate it.
  • 11 years ago

    I think the reason it feels claustrophic is scale. People will put small objects in a small room so it doesn't look crowded, but it actually ends up emphasizing the smallness. Scale up the rug so that it covers more floor space and maybe scale up the chandelier (it's hard to get a good sense in the photo). Window treatments, roman or floor to ceiling curtain, will make it feel more special. I like the idea of painting the buffet a light color so it doesn't feel as heavy but you still get the storage (and it's cheaper than buying a whole new piece). I'd make those easy, one day changes and then reevaluate whether you still want wainscotting.