Software
Houzz Logo Print
10peanut

Ready to finish Master Bedroom

11 years ago
Started this on another thread and it has been a while ago. Would like advice from you on how to finish. I do not want to make any costly mistakes if I haven't already. I have received furniture and need to purchase drapes and rods. What fabric do I need and which rods? Brushed nickel or oiled bronze? Hanging is linen. Does it work with furniture? Also would like mirror similar to one on dresser. Thanks for any and all ideas.

Comments (62)

  • 11 years ago
    Would love to have the tv off the fireplace but it is an outside wall and cannot have it over the dresser. I like the simplicity of the art you posted so do you feel art would not compete with fireplace and tv? That is the reason I was considering mirror and needing some input..
  • 11 years ago
    I agree with Margo on the window treatments. I don't care for grommet style...it's to casual for the classy look you have going. I immediately noticed the grommets. I also agree with taking the drapes to the ceiling. I like the silk fabric that has a bit of shine.
    10peanut thanked JJ
  • 11 years ago
    Grommet is out and I really felt the texture of the linen drapes was too much but needed opinions. Thanks! Here is another pic.
  • 11 years ago
    Another!
  • 11 years ago
    Margo,
    Reviewing the post of mirrors behind beside tables. Really like them. Beautiful! If I do them and the art over the dessert what can I do to balance the room. Hopefully the last pic will help give you an idea what the rest of the room looks like. Thank you so much for your input!
  • 11 years ago
    I think the simple art would look great;)
    Also, have you thought about a chaise bench at the foot of your bed?
    Contemporary Bedroom · More Info
    10peanut thanked User
  • 11 years ago
    Could you take down the curtains you have now and show a picture of the windows with just the blinds? Your room might look better with no drapes.
    10peanut thanked leelee
  • 11 years ago
    Without drapes! So many great ideas!!
  • 11 years ago
    Margo, have not thought of a chaise. I really like the look. Do you think chair or chairs would be too much for the room?
  • 11 years ago
    Margo,
    Reason I ask about the chairs is because sometimes we sit in the BR in the evening, but I am loving the idea of the chaise. Beautiful!
    What could I use by bay window?
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Usually I am not a curtain lover but to bring that elegance in your room that I think you are going for, the windows NEED the curtains:) I am glad leelee mentioned removing them tho. Always best to explore all ideas.Of course, you could use some fabric Roman shades.
    Library 2 · More Info
    10peanut thanked User
  • 11 years ago
    Margo,
    I too think I would like the silk better. Maybe use texture someplace else. So saying that, I am not good choosing color tho I like neutral. Would off white work? And what color rods? Thanks so much for all your guidance.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    If you sit in your room and watch TV, perhaps chairs would be more practical. They too can work at the end of the bed if you have the room;)
    Master Bedroom · More Info

    Hallmark Interior Design · More Info
    10peanut thanked User
  • 11 years ago
    Do you have any need for a desk? Go back up to the photo I recently posted with the Roman shades, you will see they have a desk in the window area;)
  • 11 years ago
    Hard to give advice about color as sometimes things don't appear true over the monitor.I found these?
    Pearl Textured Dupioni Silk Curtain · More Info
    10peanut thanked User
  • 11 years ago
    Margo,
    Space from bed to dresser about 9 1/2". Do you feel there is room for chairs? Here is a plan for BR to give you an idea of the room
  • 11 years ago
    Margo,
    Although chairs would probably be more practical I am really fond of the chaise and may go with it. I realize colors do not show well on screen so if I had some basics maybe I could go with them. My walls are more tan than taupe and the drapes you posted are nice. What color rod would you suggest for them?
  • 11 years ago
    What is up above color in the fan?
  • 11 years ago
    I think there is room and with the bench for sure;)
    10peanut thanked User
  • 11 years ago
    Oiled rubbed bronze.
  • 11 years ago
    I would go with oil rubbed bronze;) You can mix metals but I think I would keep it the same here.
    10peanut thanked User
  • 11 years ago
    So can I go with silver and champagne. I would like also a color.
  • 11 years ago
    Meaning accessories!
  • 11 years ago
    Yes
    10peanut thanked User
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you, you have been a tremendous help. What type fabric would look best on chaise or chair and do you feel I am going in the right direction?
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Thanks for taking the curtains down. I like Margo's idea of Roman shades for your windows. Maybe you have another room that could use blinds? These are from blinds.com and the paint color is very similar to yours.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Yes, I think you are going in the right direction. There would be many options for bench fabric. Here is one? rest arrow on pic to enlarge
    Jessica Charles Locke Bench, Light Cherry Finish, Harbin Toast Fabric · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    I would take the four pictures off the wall that are behind the night stands and put three of them over the bed.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I love your room and agree with comments to raise your drapes, (floor to ceiling), place artwork over your dresser, place mirrors above your night tables and the oiled bronze rods.

    For an accent color - I wouldn't go crazy - keep it soft, classy and calm with a slate blue for the curtains, accent pillows and a throw. You can also use a solid or print in slate blue for your bench at the end of your bed.
    Here are a few pics for inspiration...what do you think?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Here are cushions, fabrics, art and throw that would look great with above scheme:
  • 11 years ago
    Ward Designs
    Thank you for your comments. My idea for the BR is to be calming and classy as you stated. Really like your idea of the slate blue as I have bit of darker blue, and turquoise in my living area.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    It seems you already have great ideas! Looking at your bedroom layout, I feel that fireplace with the TV compete so bad with the dresser with the mirror. I know that most people find it hard to loose furniture pieces from a room, but it does not hurt to test your room without the dresser. You can place the dresser anywhere in you house with a nice over sized art and two lamp shades if you like.

    Before adding any furniture pieces, decide how you want to utilize the bay window area. Are you planning to have a sitting area? Desk? Whatever is your decision, it should be the priority.

    Nice roman shades with soft drapes would add luxury look that goes with your bed. You may consider having a soft textured wall paper, only behind your bed. It will add some dimension and define the area.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Nickel rods would look better. I don't recommend a patterned drapery as I selected for my client. I would keep the fabric choice lightly colored with a self pattern. Think about black out shades or lining if light is an issue. What about sheers behind, do you need them?
    10peanut thanked Gray & Walter, Ltd.
  • 11 years ago
    H B Interiors, LLC
    Thanks for your comments!
    The fireplace and dresser placement is a problem with me as I do feel there is competition there. That is the reason for considering the mirror. I really have no other place for the dresser and as it is new will have to deal with it. Also consider an art! I feel that I have had many great comments that have placed me on a forward path.
    Do you have any suggestions?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    in this case, at least remove the mirror from the top of the dresser, and hang a wall art the same width as the dresser and as high as the TV. Then install darker curtains than the original ones in the photo to balance the room, since you have two big items with dark colors on one side. place a chair or chaise lounge on an angle same color as the bed. It will work well with the dark curtains.

    I am not a fan of the art on the top of the night stands, replace with mirrors or bigger art.
    10peanut thanked HB INTERIORS, LLC- Home In A Box
  • 11 years ago
    CDR
    I have had many great suggestions for my MB and you have helped me with my living area. My dilemma is the fireplace and dresser placement. Do you have any ideas for me? Thank you!
  • 11 years ago
    peanut- if I see CDR around the Houzz, I will post your dilemma link and mention you are looking for her;)
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Hi! While you already have several good suggestions, allow me to throw in my 2 cents on your drapery. As an earlier commenter suggested, raising the drapes to the ceiling would greatly improve the look of that space, making the ceilings look even higher. Please take a look at the photo below that shows a master bedroom we renovated that I believe is very similar in color scheme to your bedroom and is a good example of what could work in your space. Here the drapes are a soft gray color with a very simple design on a polished nickel rod. As you can see, there is also a chaise lounge in the area in front of the windows, which I know some other commenters have mentioned as a possible solution to seating. This design also includes bottom-up, top-down blinds in order to easily customize the amount of light and privacy in the room. Good luck!
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you for taking the time to respond to my delimma . I am leaning in the direction of many of yours and others suggestions.
  • 11 years ago
    Margo and others,

    Will be returning drapes and getting longer ones. So glad I ask for help.☀️
    I have moved some items from other rooms just to get an idea of size and space. The chairs are from a guest BR and I will be getting the EA Belle table in champagne this week. Also a painting from another room. It is 50" by 50", will be taller than the door. Your thoughts. My husband moved the dresser about 12" from fireplace, does look a little better. What do you think?
  • 11 years ago
    Here are pics,
  • 11 years ago
    Here are pics!
  • 11 years ago
    Some of the pic did not cancel. My grandson could do better!:)
  • 11 years ago
    Hey peanut *waving*
    I really think you need a more simple, serene picture. I would remove the plant and move back the dresser. But that is me??
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    There are other things that could go over the dresser too. How about a nice branch to scale;)
    Idaho Residence · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    Yes serene! I really like the one you posted but it is just a little over my price range. Perhaps I can find another similar! Like the branches too, but should the art not be taller than the door.
  • 11 years ago
    Do you know where to find the chairs that were at the end of the bed? Like the style!
  • 11 years ago
    Here are some similar ones;)
    Waterloo Grey Tufted Accent Chair · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    No, I do not think the art should be taller than the door.
  • 11 years ago
    Good, that will give me an idea what size art to consider. I said I would never have a corner fireplace again but here I am. Sometimes you never learn. Lol. At least the living area is not corner.