Software
Houzz Logo Print
mbakris

Need Help in Bedroom started but STUCK!

11 years ago
Hi, I started trying to redo my bedroom..I painted it in sandstone cove..very light taupe color..I want to keep it navy with yellow!!! .then I changed my lamps and shades. also got new accesories, took out my blinds for navy curtains and pillows..Now stuck on bedroom set and also bedding ideas... I would like to have a mix match funiture set but my husband doesn't cause he is scared it won't look good? Any ideas on bedroom set? Last, need help for what kind of lighting to put in the center of the ceiling ?

Below are pictures just taking..I will be taking my babies crib out..and my office desk will go in th corner where the crib is...

Comments (62)

  • 11 years ago
    A small chair or bench under clock.
    Maria Bakris thanked happyleg
  • 11 years ago
    ever considered distressed wood with the yellow and navy? I found this picture and you theme is reminiscent of a beach for me...sun & surf
    Maria Bakris thanked wendy_18
  • 11 years ago
    Lose the starburst. Go dramatic on the headboard.
    Maria Bakris thanked groveraxle
  • 11 years ago
    that is so cool!
    I love it! Sadly, showed my husband he doesn't like it that tall of a headboard. I was thinking of going with gray or white??? How would that look? I do love the navy gotta workaround with my hubs on that part!!!
  • 11 years ago
    Or go dramatic with art.
    Maria Bakris thanked groveraxle
  • 11 years ago
    now we talking!!! My husband is like how did u do that?? LOL.. liking this 2nd idea better..can I ask what kind of dresser for the other side of the wall the T.V part!. Dark wood dresser?
  • 11 years ago
    I would paint the inside of your tray ceiling a darker version of your wall color to carry your eye up.
    Maria Bakris thanked jwinteriorswendy
  • 11 years ago
    groveraxle..my husband loves the artwork...i am online looking for something similiar to that but cant find anything. Can you tell me where I can find something like those pictures??
  • 11 years ago
    what do u all think of gray or white headbead with dark wood furniture??
  • 11 years ago
    You can have THOSE pictures, if you want. You don't have to settle for something LIKE them: http://www.gallerydirect.com/search?real_artist_s[]=Olivia%20Maxweller
    Maria Bakris thanked groveraxle
  • 11 years ago
    what do u think of gray or white headboard instead of navy?
  • 11 years ago
    If I do Navy or Gray headboards...what color should I buy to replace this dresser? darker wood is what I am thinkin?
  • 11 years ago
    Do a houzz search for gray upholstered headboards. There are lots of examples and it might give you an idea of which way you want to go with the other furniture.
    Maria Bakris thanked indomom
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Dark wood would be beautiful, I also like the idea of mixing and matching, so long as there is one commonality between each piece. Would you consider wallpaper on the wall behind the bed?
    Maria Bakris thanked Hudson-Valley-Home
  • 11 years ago
    Wall paper I never considered that but am open to what wall paper to put behind?
  • 11 years ago
    There is a great sale on Overstock.com on upholstered headboards, plus a lot of other items that might interest you. Take a look.
    Maria Bakris thanked sandradclark
  • 11 years ago
    Like Z Galleries just buy all your furn there. A padded headboard, maybe go the big mirrored night stands and a wood and mirrored dresser. They have some great stuff there. You can Find a picture for over bed too.
    Maria Bakris thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • 11 years ago
    Z Galleries is a one stop shop. Buy bedding also.
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you! Yes I been eyeing Z gallerie these last couple days...
  • 11 years ago
    What is the quality level of Z Gallerie?
  • 11 years ago
    It looks like a good quality to me..but unsure how long their stuff hold up..
  • 11 years ago
    i think making the headboard darker wood color would help. it and the wall appear to be so close in color. more art and hiding the tv wires
  • 11 years ago
    thank you...I am stuck on bedding now...I did order macys navy coverlet..its beautiful but I feel like its closing up my room with navy solid curtains and now the bedding is soild...gave back the navy coverlet and also in picture above I gave back those navy satin pillows too...so now I have only the yellow pillows with white comforter...Im tryin to find a pattern bedding set...with less navy one it...any suggestion? I find this...hard to see good in this pic...it has blues yellows and white
  • 11 years ago
    Did you check Overstock.com for headboards, etc?
  • 11 years ago
    Yes, but my husband ain't for those headboards. He is going to build over the holidays a wood headboard. We still working on the design..It will be dark wood..
  • 11 years ago
    I think a weathered wood be great in your room. Adds a new dimension.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I love the idea of blue and yellow with mismatched furnishings, if done subtily you can really make this pop with white on the skirting boards of the walls and dark blue furnishings like a stool or chair for your vanity table. Good luck I look forward to seeing where this project goes :)
    Maria Bakris thanked Manhattan Home Design
  • 11 years ago
    Sandradclark exactly what my hubby wants. Hoping we can start on this project for headboard in January!!
  • 11 years ago
    Sorry, but a weathered wood in this elegant bedroom with crown molding and tray ceiling...does not compute. Please rethink.
  • 11 years ago
    Hey, I love you, but this will be their room. It needs to be in their taste.
  • 11 years ago
    Agree, sandra, but I think when they get weathered wood in that room, the disconnect will be too much. Just want them to consider carefully, that's all.
    Maria Bakris thanked groveraxle
  • 11 years ago
    Wow i can see it doesnt! Thanks groveraxle.. can i ask u the pic of the bedding set? Will it look good if we just do a solid dark wood headboard? I do agree it doesnt look good with weathered furniture. .even my husband now agrees to that..
  • 11 years ago
    I posted a picture if u have time to scroll up? Thanks
  • 11 years ago
    .
  • 11 years ago
    Groveraxle you are awesome!! Now have an ideal how it will look! thanks a million.. Im goin to order both bedding set. Also, I took away the 2 navy pillows I had...Once I get everything done I will post pictures...Thank you
  • 11 years ago
    I thing i made mistake on was getting curtains dark navy..i should of gotten it either in a pattern navy, yellow, gray or white..First time i bought and used curtains plus had a friend tell me go with navy made a mistake...so now working around with bedding set...we will go with an espresso color furniture set.. maybe in summer will change my curtains to something lighter. I love blue gray and yellow together alot...
  • 11 years ago
    I meant to say one thing i made mistake. ****
  • 11 years ago
    My 2 cents worth: I would go with the darker wooden headboard and dresser. But make sure it's a style you love and is also fairly simple in line. a that way, it will go with numerous re-decorating. I've found over the years that I will tire of a color scheme and be ready to do something completely different...or even want to dress the bed especially for a season (Christmas?).... having plain but beautifully classic furniture makes that so much easier (and MUCH less expensive!)
    Maria Bakris thanked OldGrayMare
  • 11 years ago
    I don't think the curtains are a mistake. I suspect you don't have a totally clear vision of the room and that is what is confounding you. The curtains and lamps you've chosen go perfectly with the architecture of the space to create a sleek, sophisticated room. And while you seem drawn a bit to casual and even rustic, the room is saying it wants to be elegant. I find it's hard to fight rooms. You can impose your will and furnish them the way you want, but the space refuses to cooperate and always feels a bit off.

    Here is a gray padded headboard (which I don't think quite works) with the blue bedding you posted (which I think is a bit too casual). And the second photo is the way I'd go: navy padded headboard, Target bedding.
  • 11 years ago
    2tilletts I do agree going with dark wood cause I do like to change colors in my room.
    Groveraxle maybe its just me I do like and don't like the curtains. Its just the 1st time I did curtains and also to have something that dark in my bedroom for the 1st time. I always liked white furniture with colored bedding. This pc of furinture we have in our room now was from my Mother in laws and now since we are done having kids time to redecorate our room. I do have to say that I lLOVE the navy headboard but like 2tilletts said easier to redecorate it with dark wood...Plus my husband ain't fond with navy or any fabric color headboards. He wants to go with dark wood.
    Like I said I never played with curtains and guess I am still having a hard time with getting used to it dark. I don't say it to my husband cuz he would be like What!!! WHY did u buy them and so on...lol....
  • 11 years ago
    Oh forgot to mention.. Part of me says to just buy another nice white comforter or coverlet and leave it white and having different navys and yellow pillow on it also??
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Hi---nice room. I recommend incorporating your wall color into the bedding you choose since your entire room looks tone on tone. Attached are a few examples for you.

    Also, I agree with you, the navy drapes are too dark. If that's the direction you wish to go (dark) then I suggest grounding the room with a HUGE rug that has both navy and your wall color, then proceeding with bedding, accessories, and such. Hope you find it helpful. Good Luck!
    http://www.wayfair.com/Comforter-Sets-C215334.html?curpage=5

    Dolce-Mela-Dolce-Mela-Delilah-6-Piece-Duvet-Cover-Set
    Eastern-Accents-Caldwell-Hand-Tacked-Bedding-Collection
    Eastern-Accents-Edith-Duvet-Cover-Collection
    Classic-Treasures-Genoa-Quilt-Set
  • 11 years ago
    Consider an accent wall w wallpaper (similar to graphics of your lampshades) at the top of bed. From there, I'd add tailored dust ruffle and shams in same colors/ coordinating blue and white pattern. that will update everything until you find new furniture, but don't need to be in a rush.

    Also, add navy top sheet w your white comforter, and fold back comforter a bit...like hotel.....
  • 11 years ago
    Klyates123 thanks for your opinion.. I did have navy coverlet from macys..but ended up giving it back. It made my room dark and didn't feel happy how it looked. I will check out how u said about the wallpaper sounds pretty.. After, everyone's opinion on here. I think I will just wait till we get new furniture.. and take it from there for bedding set.

    Groveraxles I love how u show me how it looks. I do like the bedding u put up but after seeing its from target.. I have horrible luck in their bedding set once I wash it... Im looking at jcpennys, macys or kohls for something similiar to that..i really appericate your help a lot!!!
  • 11 years ago
    I didn't mean a navy coverlet....I was suggesting keeping the white comforter, using navy sheets (or at least navy top sheet)...and fold it back over the comforter, for contrast at the pillow line

    Good luck on your project...you got a lot of ideas back,,,,
    Maria Bakris thanked klyates123
  • 11 years ago
    Kluates123 is this what u saying..one top sheet navy and bottom sheet left white? Im waitin for another small long pillow that is the same pattern as lamp shades to come in..amd out infront of yellow
  • 9 years ago

    mbakris... did you ever finish this project? would love to see how it ended up...please? pics??

  • 9 years ago

    That looks great!