Software
Houzz Logo Print
erin_smith2159

Kitch Table and Rug

11 years ago
I'm trying to find a table that will fit in my small space and sort of fit into my decorating attempts in the living room (interior design does NOT come naturally to me), but can be opened up to a decent size. This is a 63" table from Arhaus. I'm not 100% sold on it, but I've not found anything I like better.

What do you all think?

I know the rug doesn't work, so do I buy a rug big enough to fit under the expanded table, or stick with a 4x6? Or no rug?

I was comtempleting this one. Free shipping today!
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/sisal-linen-4x6-rug/s453806

Comments (60)

  • 11 years ago
    Personally I find rugs under dining tables very annoying. They are hard to clean and move chairs in and out. I never use rugs under the dining area.
    ekfarm thanked glschisler
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    GLS, that is the flip side...keeping them clean with food messes is a definite pain. My family isn't heavy and I just refinished the floors with 3 coats of Bona Traffic HD. Plus the chairs will most likely be lightweight as well. So I might be able to get away with the no rug option. The free shipping keeps making me want to buy a darn rug though. :-)
  • 11 years ago
    I like the metal chairs but the reason I prefer your original choice is because you have those midcentury style chairs in your living area and I think you should have a similar style in the kitchen to tie it together. The original chair seems like a take on the series 7 chair (restoration hardware also makes a well priced version which I have and like in my dining room) which I like to pick up the other modern chairs.
    ekfarm thanked intown123
  • 11 years ago
    I put felt pads under my kitchen table chairs on wood floors - no problem
    ekfarm thanked intown123
  • 11 years ago
    The table in the corner is also mid-century
  • 11 years ago
    Whatever you do rug wise, do not get sisal. Any and all spills will stain and never come out. Otherwise, sisal and fibers like it wear like iron. Also, don't get a rug unless it is large enough that when chairs are pulled out they are still on the rug. 9 x6 at a minimum. I love your table and painting.
    ekfarm thanked User
  • 11 years ago
    I love your table. Have an old gate leg table and it is soooo versatile! The wood tones blend beautifully in your home.
    Here is a rug suggestion, go indoor/outdoor type? Also, put in the metal chairs ... I like! Add your favorite colors in seat cushions.
    Link for rug image.
    . http://www.ballarddesigns.com/suzanne-kasler-ikat-indoor-2foutdoor-rug/outdoor-living/rugs/235875
    ekfarm thanked lessismoore
  • 11 years ago
    I love your cow painting and think that's the perfect spot for it, however I would love to see your beautiful table moved down a bit and under the painting. I realize your house is on the small side, so is mine, but the table and cow would make a sweet vinyette.
    ekfarm thanked pgteach
  • 11 years ago
    I do like the first chairs you want to order from Target. As you said, they compliment the mid century chairs in the living room. :)
    ekfarm thanked glschisler
  • 11 years ago
    Love the first Target chairs. Love the rectangular table. Love the whole living area. But I am head over heels for that COW!
    ekfarm thanked groveraxle
  • 11 years ago
    Sadly, I THINK she said the cow is no longer there....that it was temporary??? I loved it!
  • 11 years ago
    Hmmm".....I think the COW is actually a SOW"......but love it too!
  • 11 years ago
    Ya know....when she said the cow, maybe it was the small one on the other side of the window? SOW.....yup!
  • 11 years ago
    No the big one, I guess I don't the difference, between , but I love the SOW there. And I would put the the table on that wall space. Try and see what you like.
  • 11 years ago
    You're right abbyjean. I never read your comment ekfarm about the other print so hope I didn't insult you, or anyone else for that matter. It was just my lame attempt at being funny!
  • 11 years ago
    Sandy, so you like the rectangular table over the round one?
  • 11 years ago
    The big cow/sow art is staying. :-) The little yellow diamond hung cow to the far left was just there to cover a wall hanger.

    We tried the metal Target chairs last night, and they are a no go. Too short and they slide you into a slump, so you would always be fighting to not have your chin on the tabletop.

    The other Target chairs shipped yesterday so they might get here this week.

    That wall is about 12' with a 48" window in the middle.
  • 11 years ago
    I have contemplated Sandy's idea about just havaing a small round dinette for every day meals and buying a larger table for gatherings. I sort of liked this one, but I wasn't sure about the white, so I chickened out on the concept.

    If I did both tables, I have a place along a basement wall where the longer Origami would fit nicely. It's longer than it looks in the picture.
  • 11 years ago
    If I did a little dinette, I contemplated putting a cowhide down as the rug.
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40222933/
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    First decide if you would go with the 2 table idea. One for everyday and another for entertaining a crowd. If that is a go, find a drop leaf table that is 48" wide, the width of your window. Place this drop leaf in front of the window where you have/had a table in the first pix. Chairs to the side, depending on the table configuration. This gives that wall some logic, placing the correct size table in front of the window and lets you enjoy the view while dining. The table you have now is fine, it is just too big/long. Tables below are on ebay.

    If you prefer a larger table, a round or rectangle, that is up to you and how much room there would be for the chairs.

    The cow hide rug - I try very hard not to let my personal taste influence responses, but must say "nope" to this idea for many reasons.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Shoot. The window is 48" tall and I believe 36" wide.. Sorry about that.

    I'm open to just about anything.

    I am a little confused though by "the table you have now is fine, it is just too big/long" and how that fits into the design rules. Is it too big/long for the space or is it just not placed right?

    If I go with the two table options, I think I'm understanding that I should either put a 36" or so table under the window, or a 48" or so table under the pig. It probably would be better to get something that could seat at least 4, which I know is more than the little West Elm white table I mentioned earlier.

    If I want to just buy one big table like the Origami or the 63" table that I have, I'm not clear on the rules.

    I do have a 48" table on hold just like the Arhaus 63" shown in the pic, but I would have to go get it or figure out a way to have it shipped.

    I debated on mentioning the cow rug. I understand.

    And many thanks as always Sandy. You are a glutten for punishment.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Love the Sow!!! I would rob the larger rug from the sitting area for under the table... replace the sitting area rug with a cowhide.
    ekfarm thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • 11 years ago
    If I am going wih the 2 table option, this is a really inexpensive table that looks pretty cute. I'm a little unsure of the legs, but for the price, I could probably make it work.



    http://www.target.com/p/threshold-40-square-drop-leaf-rustic-dining-table/-/A-14402839?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=google_pla_df&LNM=14402839&CPNG=Furniture&kpid=14402839&LID=30pgs&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=14402839&kpid=14402839&gclid=CLeJ4ryX88ECFQpDaQodDjUAaw
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    The table you have now, in front of the windows, was mentioned because of it's scale compared to the window [the dominate feature on that wall]. It just feels too big. If the window was a picture or bay window, as wide as the table, it would be fine. Using a small table, like you found [above] is much better in scale and will look more like it belongs in front of the window. You could seat 4 at this one too - - Sounds like a nice solution for the majority of times you will be eating there.

    The legs are interesting and fit in the farmyard setting in a clever way. I went to the site you provided and, enlarging the pix there, noticed some flaws in the table top. All I am saying is, when you get it home, check it over. I cannot believe they used this as a model for this table if it was not perfect - - on second thought, maybe it is the look they were going after? Just wanted to mention that. Having a banquet table available for big gatherings in the LR works well. Yes, it is a little bit inconvenient, but for those special times, it is fun to do something grander in scale in a larger space, with elbow room for everyone. You have the space in the LR for this kind of setup, so this is a good solution that would meet your daily / party needs.

    Rugs. If you decide on the smaller dinette set that will often be changed to seat 2, 3, or 4 for casual meals, you might think about putting felt floor protectors on the chair and table legs and forgo a rug there. Instead, place a generous rug at the front door and one in the cooking area.
    ekfarm thanked Sandy G. ltd.
  • 11 years ago
    I understand now. I will contemplate on all of this for a bit and post pics once I think I get it all sorted out. I really liked the Arhaus table, but I asked you all to look at it because I knew something wasn't right. It also doesn't seat 8, which is the normal number at our family gatherings. I will check back in a few weeks!
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I also like your art and actually when I saw your living room went 'ah' to myself, but here's my problem: could that be a pig cause look at the snout? so curious, cute....
    Is anyone going over to hurricane survivor with small living area but no furniture yet?!
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/my-new-home-after-hurricane-sandy-help-with-decorating-dsvw-vd~1263917
  • 11 years ago
    I will confess I do not even know what your dilemma is and I have not read the comments but I saw that PIG_COW art picture and my heart stopped;)))) SOOOOOO cute. That's all.
  • 11 years ago
    @Margo shall we gather at the pasture's fence and pet him/her?
  • 11 years ago
    You guys are cracking me up. It's definitely a pig. :-) We named her Hazel. The cow confusion was from a different picture. I don't have pigs on my farm yet, but I do have cows, goats, chickens, geese, dogs, cats and horses. A lot of wildlife also seems to like to live here.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    ekfarm- what No donkeys?;))
  • 11 years ago
    I'd love to see your sofa turned and floating with that drop leaf table behind it.
    Springhill Farm · More Info

    Atlanta Residence II · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    Margo, I'm waiting for the right one (donkey) to walk into my life.
  • 11 years ago
    Make sure you check his teeth;)
  • 11 years ago
    He used his Crest strips!! LOL !
  • 11 years ago
    The room isn't big enough to move the sofa and use the table as a sofa table, so the current arrangement will need to stay as it is. We are going to give a smaller table a try and might move the big round table to the basement and just pull it out for special occasions. We will know more after this weekend.
  • 11 years ago
    The big round table that was sooooo expensive to the basement? No returns, or do you just really want it somewhere?
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Would it fit under the stairwell with the two chairs moved closer together on the left side of the space? Easy to pull it out from there for the big gatherings and it would add a good vibe there with a lamp and art.
  • 11 years ago
    Love the table. No rug. Your style is so inviting.
    ekfarm thanked alicejean
  • 11 years ago
    The Target table and chairs are now in the kitchen. The table is cute, seems to be decently made, and would probably suit our needs, and it was only $121 out the door, but it does't have the same wow that the Arhaus table had. I'm waiting on a quote to have the 48" in Austin, TX shipped. Picking it up was going to cost as much as the 63". Oh the dilemma...
  • 11 years ago
    I like the way this looks. I just wanted to mention that we have two of those tables from target that we use as desks in our home office and they have held up nicely. Nice surprise for the price.
    ekfarm thanked intown123
  • 11 years ago
    One more of the whole room.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Love it! I think what makes it a statement is the chairs! Wondering....what about turning the table so the chairs totally fit under it easily without the legs in the way for daily use. Is there room to do that???
  • 11 years ago
    Well $600 in shipping has made the decision for me. It looks like the cute, square, reasonably priced Target table is the winner. So a table for $121 and chairs for $35/chair. You can't really beat that.

    Abbyjean, it's pretty much a square, so how it's oriented doesn't really matter. So yes, if the drop leaves are all up, it can be rotated for better everyday seating. I prefer to sit this way though while drinking my coffee and reading before the chaos of the weekend starts. We don't normally do dinners and weekend lunches are usually on the go.
  • 11 years ago
    Well, then, it sounds like you have this part of the room crossed off your list, too, and if fine fashion!!!
    ekfarm thanked abbyjean
  • 11 years ago
    Perhaps this is the addl. flare needed;))
    'A Christmas Story' 40-Inch Leg Lamp · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    I agree with Abbyjean, the chairs make the statement for the space! Hi MARGO! Waving!
    ekfarm thanked glschisler
  • 11 years ago
    NO, Linda, the Pig-Cow makes the statement.....just love that !!~ Like the chairs and table too ekfarm;)
    ekfarm thanked User
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Super look! The two spaces work very well together - one end pulling the other end in! Every thing is a good scale and I hope it all works well for you!
  • 11 years ago
    I think the drop leaf table is perfect!