Software
Houzz Logo Print
boredaccountant

Need a bigger master ensuite and walk in closet

11 years ago
I've got a fairly large master bedroom. I'd be willing to sacrifice some square footage in order to get a larger master ensuite and walk in closet (two adults).

Any thoughts or ideas fellow Houzz'rs?

Comments (14)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Hmm, you could bring down the wall in between the WIC and ENSUITE and merge it into one large ENSUITE (rearrange, add a 2nd sink, add a shower). Now you add a wall horizontally at the the bottom side with the windows and that will be your large WIC. You could make it big enough to add a dressing island in the middle.

    The only issue would be that your Master Bedroom will have no windows and your WIC is opposite end of where your ENSUITE is.

    Pros: Large, bright Ensuite and WIC
    Cons: Windowless Master Bedroom, Opposite WIC/Ensuite
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    If possible, place the walk in closet towards the bottom of the plan in order to allow more space for the ensuite.
  • 11 years ago
    Have you guys seen any plans where the entry into the master bedroom is actually into the WIC? As Jason suggested ... maybe bring down the wall b/w the WIC and ENSUITE and put up a wall to the right of the entry which would become the WIC?

    And any add'l thoughts on what a windowless master bedroom does for resale?

    If I move the WIC to the bottom of the plan, I suppose I could put a sliding clear or frosted glass door which would allow some light to come into the bedroom but I think those two windows would be taking up valuable storage space.
  • 11 years ago
    I have some ideas to rearrange your space but I'll have to draw it later tonight.

    If you want to add a window (depending on how high your ceilings are). You could create a 1" glass at the top that goes right across to bring in some natural light from the windows from the WIC. This way you can still use the wall for closet hanging since that's only usable wall, the wall with windows can have drawers (depending on how high your windows are).
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I like Jason's idea of moving that wall down to make the Ensuite and WIC bigger. Do you use that little linen closet often? If you take that out, you will definitely have the room for a second sink (with a little reconfiguration of course).

    Another thought was what about merging the some of the Ensuite elements into the WIC. I would move the toilet to where the linen closet is, make the tub into a luxury stand up shower, open up the wall between the Ensuite and WIC and do back to back his and hers vanities.

    Hope you find good inspiration.
    Jenn
  • 11 years ago
    I think you need to add windows to the bedroom, or it will be against code. Consider moving the wall out four feet so it is almost 16 feet wide. Otherwise, I think it will be too narrow.
  • 11 years ago
    What about cannabilizing some of the seemingly large bathroom to the left of the master bath? Depending on how many people use that, maybe you could compress that layout to make more space for your own bath. Similarly, you could eat the linen closet to make more room (e.g., enough space to fit a double vanity and keep a full-sized shower).

    I would *not* move the walk-in closet to eat your windows. (Not only resale, but life quality + fire safety.) In a pinch, you could narrow your current walk-in to an L (back wall and right side) and pair it with a continuation on that same wall in reach-in style as long as you want. and end up with plenty of storage space. That works fine with the bed against the window wall and, say, dressers on the left.
  • 11 years ago
    ACM ... you've correctly noted that the washroom to the left is quite large. It services my three kids aged 1, 3 and 4.5.

    jason L. that's a kewl idea which would allow me to keep that linen closet which is stuffed with our towels and off-season comforters (live in Toronto, Canada). what's the minimum width of a WIC so that one doesn't feel too cramped?

    kristin. i don't think we can widen by 4'. it'll cannibalize an already small bedroom for our 1 year old and we have the staircase to consider.
  • 11 years ago
    jason ... in your sketch ... if I'm correct, you're proposing to keep the existing linen closet and simply making the space where the existing tub is a closet?
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Eugene, yes or you can keep the tub there. I really didn't spend much time with the ensuite layout since its a nice rectangular shape after the merge with the WIC. I do like tubs near a window. You'll have many options after the merge.

    My only issue after doing so would be that maybe it would be TOO big with all the elements really spaced out. You'll have to work out the dimensions and see what works.

    Keep in mind my sketch doesnt change anything from outside your master bedroom. So you still have your linen closet out there. I basically kept all the structural walls where they are and just partitioned the rooms (basically just frame and dry wall).
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Here is another idea I was talking about earlier.

    Having to go through the WIC to reach the ensuite.

    of course the dimensions are way off, but you can work out the details and see if its doable.
  • 11 years ago
    I would get rid of linen closet, put toilet there and extend counter & sinks. Then bring walkin closet wall as far down as you can spare, this will also create kind of an entrance foyer into your room, also of you moved the closet door to across from the entrance door you will gain more wall space in the master.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    You might be interested in checking out this Houzz thread for an interesting way to double the doorway space.

    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/secret-master-closet-entrance-see-how-it-unlocks-dsvw-vd~3809056?n=7