Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leaniem

Updating fireplace

leaniem
9 years ago
Hello! We want to convert our wood fireplace to a gas insert, and want to replace the existing hearth/mantle with something more contemporary, and which is scaled properly for this section of our room. We don't know if we want a TV above the fireplace, but this might not really be an option anyway given that our ceilings are only 8' high and our fireplace is 12'' off the floor. Your help is appreciated! Thanks!
PS Not pictured in these photos, this room is open to our kitchen and further seating area.

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Harmoni Designs + Build
    9 years ago
    You are correct about the TV not fitting unless you get rid of the large mantel and surround. At least not a TV that would be proportional in size for the space and fireplace below.
  • leaniem
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks, Harmoni. Yes, we are FOR SURE getting rid of the mantle and surround. We are even considering mantle-free.
  • leaniem
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Oh, and we suspect that the wall that the fireplace is on is brick underneath. Also, we will get rid of the hearth.
  • greenfish1234
    9 years ago
    If you like contemporary, do get rid of the mantle and hearth. Expose the brick or do the whole wall in stacked stone or the like. Do floating shelves, not centered to the FP. Hang art or sculpture.
    leaniem thanked greenfish1234
  • PRO
    Harmoni Designs + Build
    9 years ago
    That should help in getting you a more contemporary look. I would consider a thinner and simpler mantel to add interest to the wall and also to separate the fireplace and TV should you decide to put one up. You should be able to find plenty examples if you search through pictures on Houzz.
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    First thoughts are: I like an earthy green highlighting a solitary tree pictured in a field, smooth-ish leather without lines... [I try being poetic]. I don't want to risk seeming an antagonist because I wouldn't myself remove your mantel -- I just want to offer my appreciation for the blend of simple, with bit of tradition. Of course it will look totally modern with no lines to distract in the fireplace, no biggie...though I am curious what are the small rectangles in mantel? And also somehow the blue sky picks up so nicely the cream of the mantel - elegant - maybe new surround will be lighter? and dark here and there instead?
  • PRO
    Hyde Evans Design
    9 years ago
    If there is brick under there than expose it. Do the whole wall in brick painted white or light grey. Put the TV to one side of the FP opening. That will mean moving the chair. Hopefully, it won't be in a traffic pattern if you position it at the end of the coffee table. And, your right, don't position the TV above the fireplace opening. That would be a very uncomfortable height for watching. However, you could consider a long low gas insert instead of using the existing opening. A very contemporary look and then your TV could work above it.
    leaniem thanked Hyde Evans Design
  • leaniem
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the poetry, everdebz! :) and for your thoughts. I forget the name for the rectangles, but they are little vents, connected uder the mantle to the firebox, to distribute the heat from the fireplace into the room. The one on the right kind of works. The one on the left, not at all! Having a fire going in this fireplace actually makes the house colder. So, it is neither functional nor attractive at the moment!
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    leaniem, hee I hope you've had your friendly neighborhood chimney sweep man, fireplace guy over.... yes it's waste that the heat goes up the chimney - so you don't want to fix it if possible?
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    Your paint color is nice! I like a clean, modern fireplace area too and think the TV will actually work well above it in this room.
    leaniem thanked Ann
  • PRO
    DeBernardi Development Inc.
    9 years ago
    This is the most modern fireplace install that I can remember doing. A similar concept might work well, and allow you to keep the hearth if you so wished.
    leaniem thanked DeBernardi Development Inc.
  • leaniem
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Debernadi - very nice! And the TV doesn't look too high at all. I really like the linear fireplaces, but I'm not sure it's an option for us because we want to use the same insert space as the existing, and there isn,t a lot of room to the right or left of the existing to make it linear because our hot water runs on one side and a gas fireplace in the basement on the other side,
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Leaniem - I usually have my staff manage this stuff so I hope I would not get in any trouble sending you to our gallery of pictures web site which is ddcr2.net or our main site ddcr.net. Under the ddcr2.net look under fireplaces. We have some stuff there that might help you out. Thank you for the kind words. Respectfully, Jeff DeBernardi
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Leaniem - Sorry, now that I went to my own site, it is under stairs and fireplaces and some of the work that we have not done is not there.... hmmmm I will try to get some of those pictures located and posted for you. Thanks again! Best of luck with your project!
    leaniem thanked DeBernardi Development Inc.
Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists